Announcement

Collapse

For Sale Forum Rules

1. Please list multiple cars/items in one topic if possible. This reduces the clutter on the portal view.
2. Please include prices in your post or at least a "make offer".
3. Please respond to PM (private message) or provide valid email for contact.
4. If you post and do not respond to customer posts or email, the topic will be deleted.
See more
See less

Home built 3 lane 75' track (Detroit metro) - For Sale/Re-homing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home built 3 lane 75' track (Detroit metro) - For Sale/Re-homing

Hi All,

I have a home built 3 lane track, that I made for my wife after we attended a friend's drink and drive slot car party years ago. Changed the layout and rebuilt it to even out the lane lengths and replace damaged sections 5 years ago after moving. Am moving again and no room in the new place, so am trying to find it a new home rather than throw it away. It's not a commercial track, so will require some skill to disassemble/reassemble, as track sections are screwed/Durham wood puttied into plywood at the joints. I have a leftover 4x8 pc of MDF and rolls of 3M double sided tape as well for repairs. Likely will need a truck or small U-haul to move, so being in/near Michigan would help as it will have to be moved by end of November. I really have no idea how much of a market there is for a track like this given the work/transport required, so would give it away or take best offer for someone willing to put in the work to disassemble, transport, assemble, and re-tune. Figured I'd start here before trying Craigslist, and will gladly accept any advice for finding it a home. If you have any interest, you can PM me for more info. Details:
    • 3 lane ~75' track of routered 1/2" MDF
    • Footprint: 20' x 8' (L shaped)
    • Lane spacing ~3" (1/32 scale)
    • Track mounted to four 4x8" plywood tables with foldable legs, tables bolted to each other
    • Some track section joints are near table ends, so potentially 5 of 8 sections could be left attached to tables for transport
    • Magnetic braid, braid lengths are per section, connected with wire nuts at joints
    • Large curves are splined (to avoid hard tangents) with 5-6" gutters
    • Hairpin is banked at 14 deg, 90 degree turn at end of straight at 10 deg.
    • 3 Professor Motor analog controllers
    • Switch box to reverse lane direction
    • 2 flat screens with wall mounts, speakers, and old PC loaded with Race Coordinator software
    • IR LEDs and sensors mounted under track for lap timing
    • 6-15 VDC / 25 Amp Pyramid PS-26KX regulated power supply

hope you find it a new home. to nice of a track to just throw away... wish i was closer...

Comment

My scaly could come down for that but I can’t cross the boarder right now

Comment

• docdoom
        docdoom commented
        Editing a comment
        you just need to find a non guarded boarder crossing . must we one or two in 5,525 miles of boarder.....

• SlotCat
        SlotCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, go git it! And bring some cold refreshments from up north while you're at it please.

I have more experience with this kind of thing than I would want to admit, but knowing what I know, I see a great deal here. It will fit nicely into a U-Haul trailer that is light enough for a standard American car to pull. Import cars may struggle to control the trailer at high speed, but at moderate speed it should be no problem. From my place in Richmond, Virginia it is 636 miles, an easy trip through DC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Toledo- a day's drive up and a day's drive back.

Look at Google to see the route from your place to this track, it is likely to be less trouble than you think. If I wasn't retired on Social Security, I could have the track here ready to set up in one weekend, no problem. Somebody on HRW can do it better than that, I'm sure. Go for it.

Comment

• slothead
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        When my wife and I were emptying out my parents house for sale I rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul for $17 and made a round trip between NY and Maine. That was about 400 miles and 7 hours each way. If anyone dared risk using an open trailer (rain in the forecast?) my trip or the one Waay wrote about could be done for a very reasonable cost. We loaded up the trailer with a riding mower, furniture, bins of tools, etc and easily owed it with a Subaru.

I totally agree with Waay - someone on HRW should definitely go for it. A rough day or two followed by years of fun.

• SlotCat
        SlotCat commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, I love road trips and slotcars, but I've not got room for that track and it's a bit too far from the west coast. Someone should make use of this nice track!

that one hell of road trip from the west cost.... or I would..

Comment

PM’d

Comment

My anniversary is coming up... I wonder what would happen if I surprised my wife with that track...

Comment

• slothead
            slothead commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell her you have an anniversary trip planned for the 2 of you that will be totally unique. Just about the best times my wife and I have is when we take a road trip together. Make an adventure out of it.

• DRW-FJ40
            DRW-FJ40 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for all the advice... I believe I'll stick with flowers, dinner and a card. I do hope this track finds a nice home.

• SlotCat
            SlotCat commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd go with Slothead's suggestion and concur on the road trips!

Originally posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
          My anniversary is coming up... I wonder what would happen if I surprised my wife with that track...
          It would most likely be your last Anniversary😬But go for it, you only die once🥴
          Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

Comment

Originally posted by War Eagle River View Post

It would most likely be your last Anniversary😬But go for it, you only die once🥴
            What's the worst that could happen?

Comment

• War Eagle River
              War Eagle River commented
              Editing a comment
              The last part!

• DRW-FJ40
              DRW-FJ40 commented
              Editing a comment
              Point taken...

• slothead
              slothead commented
              Editing a comment
              Anyone remember the good 'ole days when you could get the little lady a vacuum cleaner or set of pots and pans as a gift and get away with it?
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1