Luf's World Rally track - got my copy back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luf's World Rally track - got my copy back

At least a dozen years ago, Luf, Greater Vancouver Slot Car Club (GVSCC) club mate and wood track whiz, came up with a fun two-lane rally track layout to fit a standard MDF sheet (49" x 97").

http://oldslotracer.com/Question.html

After seeing there was no commercial viability in sending track kits, he generously offered free files for CNC routing to anyone who asked.

Back then, finding someone with a CNC router table wasn't common place, but I managed to find a local small scale sign company. Ran the track for a few months and then built a larger three-laner, my current Land & Sea based on Luf's upstairs Targa track at the old Archer Raceway.

Ended up lending the track to a neighbour and didn't think about it again until a month ago, nine years later. It sat stored in his garage, unused, for most of that time under a tarp through the seasonal cycles of Canadian prairie weather. After a short discussion, yesterday, we carried it back into my basement. Other than some damage to the MDF sheet edges, the painted track surfaces were clean and the copper tape was in good shape, no lifting or tarnishing at all.

This morning, I wired it up with two simple controller boards and connected my spare Trakmate power source. Turned it on and to my delight, the cars ran fine in both lanes with no power drops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-8812.jpg Views:	48 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	93071

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-8807.jpg Views:	47 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	93072

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-8808.jpg Views:	47 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	93073

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-8810.jpg Views:	48 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	93075

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-8809.jpg Views:	48 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	93074

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-8811.jpg Views:	47 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	93076

This is a good example of a small track that's fun, challenging and not boring.

Good to have it back in operation.

Dan

P.S. Luf would likely still provide the track files if anyone was interested.
    Last edited by vtecfour; April 12, 2021, 12:02 AM.

Thanks Dan, that's a neat looking track!

Comment

That is a cool looking layout - looks like it would be a lot of fun!
      Glad you were able to get it back and put it back into service!

Comment

Great looking track and History!
        Rusty
        Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Luf has a talent to equalize the lanes. That's a good little test track.
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
          https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Hi Dan, I know how you love spending time on scenery................I expect you will have this done in no time,..can't wait to see

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Comment

Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1