NEW Routed "66" speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Routed "66" speedway

Table construction has started on the new BIGGER Routed "66" speedway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sign.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	58755

When finished, the new table size will be 8' x 24' (old was 8'x17')
    This will be an MDF painted and polyurethane coated, braided 3-lane track.
    I'll try and remember to take pictures along the way and keep you updated .

Name:	Track1.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	58757
    I've been trackless for 4 months so looking forward to getting this going!!!
    Attached Files

That's a lot of real estate to play with, road course or oval??

Comment

I'd like to hear more about your plans for finishing the racing surface. I'm torn between a super slick polyurethane surface with the natural MDF color fully visible, or a painted surface that will resemble a dirt oval. I thought about painting the track (already bought 3 shades of brown paint for this) and then coating it with polyurethane to get a smooth and slick surface that's ideal for silicone tires.

I'll be following your build closely.

Comment

I always enjoy watching a new build. Should be excellent....that's a good space and size!
        Come Race at The Trace!
        Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

It will be a road course. If you look closely and zoom in, you'll see the FULL SCALE layout on the floor although quite faint. It want thru many iterations the past few months with input from some fellow racers. I have all the turn centerlines and turn radius logged for reproduction once the table is complete.

Slothead, my last build was originally copper tape. I did a test on the hair pen section, I removed the track section and tape, put a coat of poly over the paint and then re-taped and re assembled for test running (we run Super Tires and some urethanes). Everyone agreed the traction was better and for sure was instant, no need to "rubber-in". Next step was to remove the copper tape from the entire track, route the gain, paint and then coat the entire track with Poly. Once dry, I braided the entire track and again the traction was instant and only got better after running. Our racing group agreed that the traction is better than just paint but it hard to put a number on how much better. Side note, the braid sticks much better to the poly than to just the painted surface, all tape and braid was from Slot Car Corner. The original copper tape track is shown below.

‚Äč
          image widget

Comment

• slothead
            slothead commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't see the image in this post, but thanks for the info about your experiences. I'm encouraged that I can paint my track to get the desired look, then coat with polyurethane to get the desired grip for silicone tires. My track is CNC routed and I didn't consider using braid when I had it done. Now the corner sections are banked so I'm committed to going with copper tape which I've had good success with in the past on 2 other tracks.

• SlotCat
            SlotCat commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't see the last picture either.

This weekends progress along with missing photo, sorry.

Original track

Name:	old track.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	59536

New area, table complete.

Name:	track 2.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	59537

New area, 1/2 MDF in place.

Name:	Track 3.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	59538

Now the fun begins, track layout next. Three lane, one overpass. Hoping for 80-90 feet per lane. The score board (TV) is looking a little small for that area, may have to upgrade.

Comment

Well , I guess if you are going to upgrade the track you might as well upgrade the tv monitor also . Not saying it has to be the size of the track , but a little bigger would be good . Remember , you can always watch football , or other sports on it as well

Comment

Thanks Pappy, I watched the build of that track (Butch I believe) and it was one of my favorites. I hope you replaced it with something nice.

Comment

Saturday progress, routing started,

Name:	IMG_6582.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	60821

Name:	IMG_6583.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	60822

Comment

Sundays progress, routing complete and gains routed,

Name:	IMG_6584.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	60824

Name:	IMG_6585.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	60825

Comment

Sunday additional, overpass completed and installed,

Name:	IMG_6591.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	60827

Name:	IMG_6592 (2).JPG
Views:	250
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	60828

Comment

Additional overpass pictures and track painting ,

Name:	IMG_6593 (1).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	60830

Name:	IMG_6597 (1).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	60832
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking good their. I like this one better. Nice work

Comment

Looking good so far....updates are a must
                      TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!

Comment

That's a great looking track. I'll be the devils advocate. How will you get de-slotted cars on the backside. Have you got a grabber that will reach it easy? I built a big table top track against a wall. It was 5 foot wide. I tried to do it smartly with just a straight on the back side and all the curves toward the front side of the table. I still didn't like it for all the reasons associated with limited access. Hard to build on the back side, hard to landscape, hard to reach cars. After a couple months, I gave up and just changed it so I could have walking space all the way around the table..
                        Matt B
                        So. In
                        Crashers

Comment

• BK66
                          BK66 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great question Matt, our club drivers are so good that they don't come off (unless their helped by another club member, LOL)? I have a 8ft home made grabber and we do track call for all de-slots.

• SlotCat
                          SlotCat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good questions Mattb, I've got 8x14' table I built attached to the wall, only way it would fit in the garage. Not ideal, but as you said longest straight against back wall, longer pusher stick and a separate grabber.
                      Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1