Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm using Slot Car Corner's heavy duty terminal blocks for my taps. They come with a card that you place under the terminal block that tells you the lane number and which screw you hook your wire and braid drops to. It's so simple even Mike Stott could do it and he's from Michigan. lol I want to wire the track so it will be real easy to drop the whole wiring harness off of it if you have to disassemble and move the track and then place the wires back under the labeled screws and you're done. These blocks along with the Slot Car Corner drivers panels will make it easy to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_172311.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	66522

Comment

• A close up of the cards, they're even pre-punched where the mounting screws go.

Name:	20201129_172235.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	66524

Comment

• jaws
        jaws commented
        Editing a comment
        I just used those for my track. The hardest thing for me was getting the protective covers off of the drivers stations. I didn't want to scratch them.

• Looks amazing Butch! Cant wait to put some laps on it.

Comment

• Pappy
        Pappy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm looking forward to having you guys come down. I still want to put together a 24 hour race if I can figure out the logistics, pit space, food serving, lounge around area, sleeping quarters, things like that. I'd probably have to move all my tools out of the shop and equipment out of the back barn.

• This is what my drops for my taps look like. I crimped a collar on the braids to hold them tight to the track and to make sure I had good contact, then slid another one on at the end just to keep the braid straight rather than cut them off.

Name:	20201204_121947.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	67533

Comment

• cj74
        cj74 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good idea. Where'd you get the collars and crimper?

• Pappy
        Pappy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Corey,

The collars are what they use on multiple ground wires in an electrical outlet or switch box in a home to make sure they all have a good ground and won't come apart. Even if you twist them all together real good you still have to put a collar on the bunch of them. You can buy them at Lowe's, Home Depot or anywhere they sell electrical supplies. To crimp them just use a pair of pliers.

• cj74
        cj74 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sir!

• This is one of my taps. They are all labeled with the cards that come with the tap kits from Slot Car Corner. I've looped all the negative sides together so I can use just one wire instead of six wires for the negative side. An 8ga. wire will carry plenty of current for all six lanes with the motors we'll be running. I'll use six 12ga. color coded wires for the positive side, I could use 14ga. but I already had the 12ga. wire.

Name:	20201204_122048.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	67535

Comment

• This is a close-up showing the bolt in the center of the tap that the 8ga. wire will fasten too.

Name:	20201204_122100.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	67537

Comment

• This is one of the taps mounted to the track and hooked up to the braid. All I have to do now is run the six color coded wires and the negative wire to it. There's going to be three taps so two more to go.

Name:	20201204_125112.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	67539

Comment

• This is how I'm making my braid connections at each joint. I use to put a wire nut on each one but this time I made the holes the braid drops through right next to the 2x4 crossmember so all I have to do is staple it to the crossmember.

Name:	20201204_130115.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	67541

Comment

• Hey Butch, I've got my bags all packed - when's the first race!!

Allan

Comment

• Pappy
                Pappy commented
                Editing a comment
                Allan, the way things are going I'm trying for the Spring of 2022. lol

• This is how I made my connections for the lap counter. The two strips in the middle of each lane are the lap counter strips and the braid going around the outside of the two strips is the continuence of the circuit on each side of each lane. Now all I have to do is place the lap counter wires under the phillips head screws on the lap counter strips and it's connected.

Name:	20201205_092336.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	67551

Comment

• Rleog
                Rleog commented
                Editing a comment
                Very well organized and executed. You’d laugh if you saw mine; not nearly as neat. But it works.

• The track looks great and the wiring is a work of art.

Comment

• Pappy
                Pappy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Jim

• I've got most of my wiring done. This is the distribution panel for the three taps/drops. I still have to make the final connections to one of the taps/drops and staple the braids at the joints to the crossmembers. Then build a shelf for my power pack to sit on and run the wires to the electrical panel. I've probably crimped at least 250 connectors. My hands are sore, my arms ache and my knees are weak from getting up and down off the floor. I use to think slot car racing was fun but I'm going to have to rethink that. lol

Name:	20201214_181231.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	69397

Comment

• Fathead59
                Fathead59 commented
                Editing a comment
                After you are done it will be fun again

• This is the electrical panel that sits below the drivers stations. The only thing left to do to it is run the wires in from the power pack and put the cover on. The green wire will be taken out when I put the lap counter on. The lap counter will make the connection to the coil to turn the track on and off.

Name:	20201215_175032.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	69399

Comment

• So neat and clean. Hats off to SCC on the parts and Pappy on the installation. Well done!

Comment

• Bill from NH
                  Bill from NH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pappy is an artist in wood! I have a couple of his jigs from the days of racing flexi cars. The quality of them is just as high as that his new track shows.

• I fired it up today.

Red lane
                White lane
                Green lane
                Orange lane
                Blue lane
                Yellow lane

It's going to take a lot of practice to get your timing down and lots of laps on the track to get it run in.
                Butch

Comment

• Slot Car Corner
                  Slot Car Corner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It didn't happen unless you post a video of a car making a lap or two - preferably with the car staying in the slot the entire time. You might need to ask your wife for assistance... :-)

• Rleog
                  Rleog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, Pappy.... you and this guy SCC Steve, ....... you’re, ahhh, friends, right?

• Pappy
                  Pappy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not sure who he is, I've heard he lives in some sort of geriatric's home in Connecticut and they only let him out on the weekends. :-)
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1