Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are my dead-strips for the lap counter. I leave a long space between the dead-strips and the track braid and stagger then so both sides of the power from the track can't get to the lap counter strips at the same time and I stagger them to keep the guide flag from falling into the gain separating the dead-strips from the track braid.

I have always made a complete loop with the lap counter braid and fastened the two ends together on the bottom. Does anyone know if I need to do that or if it will still work if I just make a strip on top and fasten the wire from the lap counter to one end on the bottom?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201123_165525.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	65224

Comment

• Rleog
      Rleog commented
      Editing a comment
      It will still work if you just make a strip on top and fasten the wire from the lap counter to one end. No need for the loop.

I like your deadstrip stagger idea.
      Last edited by Rleog; November 23, 2020, 10:23 PM.

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that's the way I'll do it.

• Looking very, very nice Butch!

Allan

Comment

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Allan. I can't wait to see it when the lanes are striped and the sidewalls are painted.

• Bill from NH
      Bill from NH commented
      Editing a comment
      We can see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point. Nice job Butch! Do you give your tracks a fancy name?

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I do, Bill. My other track was The Herman P. Finklemeyer and this one is The Alfred C. Snicklefritz. I was going to name it after my dog Maxwell Q. Humperfinklestein the 3rd, Esquire but he wanted royalties if I used his name. lol

• I see that you are using "dead strips" for your timing. Have you ever had any problems with your timing when you use the reverse switches on the Drivers Stations? Do you have to do any cross wiring of the dead strips and reverse switch?

I like many others have been following this build from the start. Such a fantastic build!!

Jim W

Comment

• jaws
      jaws commented
      Editing a comment
      I was asking, because with Trackmate timing, I think with dead strips, the wiring/software would need to know if you would be going to run the track, both directions. I had an old version early windows, I ran the other direction with a few cars that were not wired correct, but I didn't have any problems.

Jim W

• Slot Car Corner
      Slot Car Corner commented
      Editing a comment
      Trackmate offers a bi-directional dead strip interface cable. The cable has a bank of DIP switches - flip the switches when you change track direction and the dead strip will continue to work properly.

• jaws
      jaws commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I knew there was a way to use the dead strip, bi-directional, with the Trackmate timing system. Had no idea you would have to flip switches to make it work the "other" direction.

• All the lane striping is done. Next step is to paint the outside of the walls red, then make all my connections on the bottom, wire it, install the lap counter and then put the 1/8" plywood skirting on to cover the inclines.

Name:	20201125_093956.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	65505

Name:	20201125_094125.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	65506

Comment

• jaws
      jaws commented
      Editing a comment
      I just put braid on my track. I wished I would have staggered the braid in the lanes. This must be how the Professionals do it.

Jim W

• The lead-on and looking down the top straightaway.

Name:	20201125_094141.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	65508

Comment

• mattb
      mattb commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure nice.

• Audi1
      Audi1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooh, yeah! Nice!

• Butch this track looks great , if I bring the turkey can we run some laps this weekend?

Comment

• This has been an amazing thread to read and see the progress and step by step building technique used.
      Some serious woodworking skills there (and more clamps than I have ever seen in my life). 😃
      I can't wait to see some race videos. :-)

dennis

Comment

• Race? Race? Did someone say - Race?

Allan

Comment

• I’m sure it’s been mentioned in 17 pages, but lane length and difference between long and short?

Can you run 124 or just 132.

Im anxiously awaiting its inauguration and a break from this COVID crap. Miss Grace (our V35) is ready for a trip to South East Indiana

Comment

• Pappy
            Pappy commented
            Editing a comment
            The inside lane is 106'-6". The outside lane is 117'. Which make an average lap of 111'-9". We'll be able to run either 1/32 or 1/24 with the 4" lane spacing. Southeast Indiana will get you close but you'll have cross the border into southwest Ohio. lol

• Fourshipp
            Fourshipp commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha...LOL. Of course, I can go that extra 1.5 NM.

The track looks great!

• Pappy did you stripe lanes with tape or paint ? And if paint what did you use ?thanks Dennis Laff

Comment

• Pappy
            Pappy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Dennis,

I used Krylon Short Cuts paint on five lanes but I didn't like their orange paint, it looked fluorescent so I used One Step orange for that lane. I also used my Beugler Pin striping tool. It does a pretty good job but you have to be real careful to keep the guide wire down in the slot. There are flaws but nothing to noticeable unless you're really looking for them. Here's a link to Beugler's web site. https://www.beugler.com/ I just have the deluxe kit and I think I paid about $110 for it years ago, they are now $125.

• Ok thanks for the info

Comment

• We've got two coats of red paint on the sidewalls, this is how it looked with just one coat. The second coat really helped a lot but it will still need a third coat. But it doesn't matter how many coats we put on it, it will never look good until we take that awful looking "cloverleaf" green tape off. It looks like something you'd see in Michigan. I can't imagine going out to my raceway every morning and having to look at that gaudy green color (inside joke). lol

Name:	20201127_153730.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	66109

Comment

• Rleog
              Rleog commented
              Editing a comment
              (Mike....Mike....calling Mike!)

• From the other end.

Name:	20201127_153416.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	66112

Comment

• The track has three coats of red on the sidewalls. I'm not happy with how it turned out, I'll probably touch it up after I get everything else done and the track running. It doesn't have a good crisp line between the white and the red. I dropped the drivers station panels in place just to see how they look against the red and I think they look real good.

Name:	20201129_170453.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	66517

Comment

• From the other end.

Name:	20201129_170659.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	66519

Comment

• jaws
                  jaws commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am guessing that when the track is open for racing, that all cars must have an interior light that will light up with the color of their lane when they come off. I know that is the least that everyone should be willing to do to race there!!!

Jim W

• Pappy
                  Pappy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good idea, Jim. And they have to purchase the lights from me. lol
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1