Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I removed all the tape and it's not bad but not near as good as I had hoped. Where the black surface meets the white sidewalls it's not real straight, kind of goes up and down a little. The black surface is not as good as I had hoped either, but I've got to keep in mind it's just a slot car track. I caulked the edge where the sidewall meets the track surface with acrylic latex caulking before I painted it but I might try to re-caulk it with gloss white silicone caulking just to make it look better. It might actually make it look worse. I'll try it on the lower inside of the top straightaway where no one will ever see it and see how it turns out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201115_111734.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	63464

Comment

• Third coat looks good - that second one sure was funky!

Allan

Comment

• Well track looks great to me and i've built a few tracks so i know what it takes, Great Work!

Comment

• You know - I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone... From this distance, it looks fine, and the pinstriped lane markings will make it pop!

Cheers, Tony.
          All the way from Sydney, Australia.......

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

• Butch, don't caulk again. I'm sure you have a good seam, so leave it be. If it looks good from 10 foot, it's OK. If it bothers you next year, just hand paint the walls and mask a straight line.
            Matt B
            So. In
            Crashers

Comment

• Pappy
              Pappy commented
              Editing a comment
              Matt, I agree with you and Tony, probably should leave it alone. I'd touch up all the boo boo's now except I'm tired of painting. The pin striping and braid will make it pop. Maybe when everything else is done I'll touch it up.

• Looks great Butch!
            The black surface is a much better choice then grey! A grey surface always has tire tracks as we know...
            Click to see black tire tracks on a grey track surface.

RacinRoss

Comment

• Pappy
              Pappy commented
              Editing a comment
              Ross, looks more like grey tire tracks on a black surface. lol
              Your track runs great and is one of my favorite tracks to run on. I need to get my track done so I can test and tune so I don't keep getting my tail kicked every time I race at your house.

• I've got all my holes drilled to braid the track.

Name:	20201117_183508.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	972.4 KB
ID:	64249

Comment

• I've got two sections braided. I had four rolls of 3M transfer tape leftover from another track a couple of years ago so I ordered half my braid from Slot Car Corner bare and half pre-taped. I'm using the bare tape on the straightaways and using the pre-taped on the turns. The pre-taped braid makes it way easier to install. If I ever build another track that is all I will use, it's worth the money. The Slot Car Corner roller that you see in the picture is really nice and worth the money too.

Name:	20201118_163731.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	64251

Comment

• mattb
                mattb commented
                Editing a comment
                With the router bit to cut the gains, the pre-taped braid and the roller, anybody can cut and braid a track. Just don't stretch it all around the corners Lay it with no tension at all.

• Pappy
                Pappy commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly right, Matt. My wife is helping me with it and she could do it herself except I can't talk her into it. lol

• My wife thought it was a waste of time! The guys that race every week don't think so, though. We have shut down racing again with the explosion of Covid here. We started back up in June, but we all think we better cool it for a while. We may be close to some daylight, so now isn't the time to blow it. Butch it looks great.
              Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

• Wow really nice build. Love the black track and white walls. Love to race their. The virus has also stop our racing here in Southern In. Good job. Top notch work.

Comment

• Pappy
                  Pappy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob, I'm just two miles south of Oxford, Ohio right on the southeast Indiana boarder. Anytime you want to come over and race just let me know.

• How far are you from Chicago IL

Comment

• Pappy
                  Pappy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd say about 260 miles.

• Been along for the whole build Butch, looks like a lot of fun will be had starting soon..
                it's really Outstanding!!

Thanks
                Paul

Comment

• Pappy
                  Pappy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Paul. We've got over half the track braided

• We have about 9/10 of the track braided, then I'll color code the lanes. I bought Krylon Short Cuts paint because it has a lacquer base and I know it works well. The only thing I don't like about it is the orange paint. It's more of a fluorescent orange and too bright. I tried toning it down with yellow and white and it's better but not what I want. Any suggestions?
                Butch

Comment

• All the braiding is done except for the lap counter strips, I'm not sure how I want to do them yet. Next step is color coding the lanes. I was going to make the outside lane yellow going past the drivers stations so I could keep my drivers stations in the same order as an eight lane commercial track and the drivers could still see theirs cars everywhere. But I decided to make the outside lane red and reverse the drivers stations. So the drivers stations will be from left to right, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Green, White and Red. The lane colors will be from outside to inside past the drivers stations, Red, White, Green, Orange, Blue and Yellow.

Name:	20201123_165410.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	65220

Comment

• View from the other end.

Name:	20201123_165327.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	65222

Comment

• dinglebery
                      dinglebery commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks fantastic! I'm wondering if you go around to each braid joint and build up solder to fill the gap? Not for conductivity reasons, purely smoothness of the level of braid.

• Pappy
                      Pappy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not really needed. The left and right braids are staggered and rolled real good so there really isn't any smoothness problem. And if you needed to take the track apart it would really be a pain to un-solder all the joints.
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1