Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW. I'm impressed. That is going to be a nice track. As much as I love the track I find that I have developed a case if jalousie. Doesn't happen to me often, but your wood working shop and skills have done it.

When we were building my track it seemed at times that the work would never end, but once it got to the point that we could run cars I looked back at it and found that it was a rewarding journey. The other side of that would be that once we could run cars it took much longer to complete than I thought it would. Heck, as far as I can tell it will never be done. Every season I find something that I want to do to it.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the end result.

Comment

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      Continuously upgrading and improving your track is part of the hobby. I'm sure when my track is up and running and I figure out gear ratios, tires, weights and body float I will start adding some scenery. I did it on my other track and it's fun to do. http://slotblog.net/topic/43053-fink...e-park-oxford/

• Midmoslts
      Midmoslts commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your old track too. It must have been a hard decision to let it go and build a new track.

I have had the bug for a while to build a new track, but it would not be to replace the track I have. My track races wonderfully and I couldn't be happier with it, but sure wouldn't mind having a tri oval super speedway or even a standard oval track to have some flavor.

Keep up the good work. I can hardly wait to see the finished (ready to race on) product.

• Have to say your skill is top shelve. Just a work of art IMHO. Love to drive it. Cant wait to see the paint go on.

Comment

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      indybob, I'm in the southwest corner of Ohio so if you live anywhere close just let me know and you can drive on it all you want.

• Hmmmm...

Click image for larger version

Name:	184BB5ED-F8B7-4CCC-A218-08D01774FC64.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	58971
    Attached Files

Comment

• arroldn
      arroldn commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand about being a one person operation. I host the Forums Cup here. Two years ago I was able to get my sister to act as the scorekeeper. But most of the time its me oh me standing in the need of a marshall.

• Fourshipp
      Fourshipp commented
      Editing a comment
      Pappy, do you still fly?

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      Bruce, I haven't flown a plane since 2002. I couldn't afford the gas for one now-a-day's much less the total operating cost. In 1982 I figured the total operating cost for my Pitts S2A if I flew it 100 hours a year at $100 an hour. Probably $250 an hour today. Nice thing is I don't even miss it.

• All the sidewalls have been trimmed but some sanding is still needed. I got anxious and wanted to see how it was going to look sitting in place. So I cleaned all the tools and scrap wood off the surface, pushed it in place and clamped the drivers stations back on. Everything fit just as I had hoped it would. It looks bigger in real life than it does in the pictures.

Name:	20201016_171548.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	59082
    Steve - Connecticut, USA - Team HRW

Comment

• Just_Steve
      Just_Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Your track build is really starting to come together Butch - looks amazing!

• Picture from the other end. It looks larger from this end, still room for everyone to get around it but it does fill the room.

Name:	20201016_171522 (1).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	59084

Comment

• Who's really building that?

It's great Butch. Now you look at it and all the re-dos and problems make it even more satisfying.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

• Pappy
        Pappy commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife does all the measuring, cutting, gluing, nailing, painting, braiding, wiring, cleaning and sanding. I do everything else. lol

• arroldn
        arroldn commented
        Editing a comment

• I'm curious, do you plan any lighting for the sections of the track that are shaded? If so, might it be part of overall track lighting for "night" racing?

Ed Bianchi

Comment

• Pappy
        Pappy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ed,

I hadn't even thought about that. I do want to have a 24 hour race like the Michigan 24. When it's up and running I might have to add some lighting but the room the track is in has six 8' fluorescent lights and I have three more that I'm thinking about hanging over the pit tables along the wall. I don't think there will be any shaded areas but I might need some low lighting for night driving, I won't know until the lights go out.

If I have a 24 hour race I'll have to move my tools out of my shop which is on the other side of the wall the track is backed up to. I'll have to put them into my other pole barn to make room for more pit space. It will also allow teams to have lighting to work on their cars during the night driving. I've even thought about moving all the pit workbenches out of the raceway during a 24 hour race just to give participants more room to watch the race. I might even store all my tools in a trailer and open up the back barn for more space for participants to lounge around or take a nap. But that's just the logistics I'll have to work out when and if the time comes.

• Pappy
        Pappy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ed, I just looked at the picture and noticed that there are shaded area's. I hadn't noticed them when I'm pretending to drive a car around the track. lol

• Beautiful work, commercial grade for sure.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

• Looks really impressive - is the Yellow lane on the outside next to the driver's stations, or the far inside lane? Just visualizing driving each lane from a driver's position...
        All the way from Sydney, Australia.......

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

• Pappy
          Pappy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Tony,
          Yes, the Yellow lane will be on the outside next to the driver's stations. I don't like that I have to do it that way but your car would disappear from view coming out of the esses if Yellow was the inside lane. I could have reversed the drivers stations but that would have been more confusing for drivers use to the standard lane rotation.

• Butch, quite a difference between this track & the photos of your earlier tracks you sent me 12-15 yrs. ago. Those old tracks were painted green, in case you don't remember.

Comment

• Pappy
          Pappy commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember, Bill, but I'm surprised that you do. I ran out of Green paint. lol

• Perhaps this was discussed earlier in this thread and I just don't remember. What is the white 'box' hanging on chains over the track? It looks low enough for someone to whack their head on going to retrieve a car.

Comment

• slothead
          slothead commented
          Editing a comment
          I enjoy your sense of humor, but that was a legit question. I thought that's what it was but decided to ask anyway.

Could you mount a flat screen TV on the back wall to serve the same purpose? My computer monitor is a 32" Sanyo TV I got at Walmart for $100 that I might put on the wall by my road course to connect the lap timer to.

• Pappy
          Pappy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Slothead,
          If you look at my post #163 on page 11 you'll see why I thought you might be just joking around.
          I do have a 44" flat screen TV that I might put on a wall for spectators to look at. But the small one's right in front of the drivers seem to work pretty well.

• slothead
          slothead commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking about getting an 82" flat screen TV for my mancave which will free up a smaller one for track duty. I could end up with one the size you have for the track monitor. The only thing holding me up is the fact many newer smart TV's come with built in software that tracks what you watch and then periodically displays pop up ads (like Youtube) that you can't disable. That could drive me (even more) crazy.
      Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1