Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routed Test Track

Hi guys,

It’s been quite a few years since I had made my one and only routed track. Unfortunately, I’ve moved several times, and no longer have the track. As I don’t currently have any way of testing my cars, and I don’t have the space for a permanent layout, I was thinking of routing a small one lane test track. I was planning on having a 4x8 sheet of MDF with folding legs, and have it cut in half, allowing me to fold it up and store it when not in use.

I used to have Luf’s DVD, but lost it somewhere along the way. I’m trying to keep things as simple as possible and not have a controller station, and to just be able to hook up my power supply, my Difalco controller, and have some fun testing my cars.

Has anyone on here done something like this?

I’m not worried about the routing part, I’m just trying to figure out how to wire the track, so that I would hopefully have brakes, and be able to easily hook the power supply and controller (alligator clips) and go and have some fun.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Scott

Scott that would easy to do. Just rout and wire one lane with brakes. Should be easy to make a clip on connections.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

Thanks Matt.

Know where I can find wiring diagrams?

Thank you
      Scott

Comment

Hey Scott long time! Still accounting in ON?

So here is a simple positive polarity diagram.

PS Positive connect to the white post on your table.
        PS Negative connect to the red post on your table and then run a wire from that post to one side of the copper tape.
        Black Post run a wire to the other copper tape.

Take a peek at the direction of the lane on the diagram for your travel.

you have a brake potentiometer on your controller for brakes I would think?

Click image for larger version  Name:	65923199-7426-4883-9E63-54B3D534BD29.gif Views:	0 Size:	3.0 KB ID:	32650
        Last edited by Cgyracer; April 17, 2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• mattb
          mattb commented
          Editing a comment
          there you go, be advised home set stuff is wired negative polarity, but that shouldn't matter unless you have an electronic controller and the track must be wired for the same polarity as the controller. Most 1/32 clubs do use positive polarity just like the commercial tracks.

• Macphee888
          Macphee888 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Robert,
          Thanks, yes I’m still in Ontario and still counting beans 😬. I hope you’re doing well and enjoying Kelowna.
          Take care
          Scott

Here's a diagram I found by doing a Google search.

For my 1 lane track I mounted a Scalextric powerbase under the routed track so I could easily plug a Professor Motor controller into it along with the adjustable power supply. I soldered wires from the rails on the power base to the taped lane on the track. SCC built me a fused connector to go between the power supply and the power base with appropriate plugs on each end. Simple and inexpensive.

Comment

Yup, like that (or reverse white and black) depending on what you want. Easy peasy.
          I routed a track from an old piece of countertop, great traction when it was clean!
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

With 1/24th and 1/32nd tracks positive is on the right side looking in the direction of travel. The diagram in post #4 above shows it on the left, which is the way HO tracks are wired. Just switch the wires that go to the track like this:

Last edited by RichD; April 17, 2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• mattb
              mattb commented
              Editing a comment
              I think standard wiring for most 1/32 race sets is negative polarity, not positive like commercial 1/24 tracks.It doesn't matter much unless you an electronic controller..

• Slotspeed
              Slotspeed commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting comment mattb, I know Carrera analog is standard negative path controller resistor, I had assumed it was different to the others. I thought Scaley was positive path resistor but maybe I am wrong. Been a while since I have needed to look.

I think Scalex is negative also. .. I believe the only positive wired tracks are wood or plastic that has been converted to the positive right. .. I'm sure other guys here know for sure and will add to this thread.

I have no clue about digital.
            Matt B
            So. In
            Crashers

Comment

All of the 1/32nd sets except Policar are negative polarity. To change the track polarity just switch the wires at the power supply and switch the wires that go to the track rails, the cars will still run in the same direction.

Comment

Scott,
                I made this on a single piece of 2' x 4' MDF shortly after getting into routed wood track racing because all I had was Ninco track and no room for a permanent layout. It worked pretty good but I should have made the clearance around the outside a bit more. I don't have it any more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1272.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	32847

Peter
                PetesLightKits

Comment

• Macphee888
                  Macphee888 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Pete,
                  I ordered a 4x8 sheet of MDF and am going to make a folding table that I can put out of the way when I’m not using it. I already have the copper tape, so I’m almost ready to go. I was getting tired of not being able to test my cars at all between races, and we have quite a long stretch in between races now, so why not?

Take care Pete
                  Scott

Any chance you could do a 'Murphy bed' style track? I did this with an HO track years ago. It only stuck out 4" from the wall when folded up, and when down you could access the whole 4' x 8' sheet. I put it above a desk I made and hinged it from that.

Comment

• Macphee888
                  Macphee888 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately not, there’s too much crap in the garage. I did have a 16’x6’ table on a winch and pulley system that I had a Carrera digital setup on, but it took up the entire side of the garage when it was down, and never ended up getting used much. I sold my Carrera setup when I started racing again, and I dismantled the table a couple of weeks ago.

I’m going to make a folding table, with collapsible legs, so I can set it aside when not in use.

Thanks and stay safe
                  Scott

• slothead
                  slothead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Understood. My first temporary table in the cellar was on folding plastic saw horses. They were rated for several hundred pounds each and also came in handy for other projects too.

I'm looking into some kine of wood module track of some kind. have only so much room in the garage. right now my 8 by 16 ssd track is taking up half the garage and my wife crap the other half. cant remember the last time I even ran on the track in anger. the club I race with are not to big on running digital so he does not get much racing on it....maybe twice a year. so thinking of tearing it down but want something i can store away and put up in a short time when I do have a race.. really liked Dayble set up. might have to see how they did it.

Comment

If you can rout a track you might want to think about something along MrTrax modular track. I like the idea!
                  https://mrtrax.com/shop/

Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by noddaz View Post
                    If you can rout a track you might want to think about something along MrTrax modular track. I like the idea!
                    https://mrtrax.com/shop/
                    looked into him a few month ago.
                    not cheap by any means and he does not ship to the North America,
                    So if not down under your not going to getting one of those lovely tracks in your man cave any time soon

Comment

Nope, not cheap. And then the SHIPPING! And what I really meant was if you build a home track in a series of interchangeable modules you could have as big of a track or as small of a track that you want. I would like to do that.
                      Scott
                      Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1