Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Adhesive for Re-Gluing Braid to Routed Track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Adhesive for Re-Gluing Braid to Routed Track?

A friend of mine recently purchased a used routed track and the braid is lifting in places. What is the best type of adhesive to use to re-set the braid? A two-part epoxy?
    Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

When I Ran a slot car track back in the late 80's We used contact cement put it on both the wood and the braid and let dry then use the roller or what ever you use to push the braid in place!
    Marty
    T.R. Raceway
    Toms River NJ

Comment

If the track is a few years old, the braid was likely attached using contact cement, and, if so, this is the best adhesive for re attaching the braid. Virtually all braided tracks from the 60's until very recently used contact cement to attach the braid, and it is still very much in use today.

Recently, several track builder have been using double side tape, and if your track has been built this way, you can use this or contact cement to attach the loose bits.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

PS both contact cement and double side tape form an instant bond, so unlike epoxy, there is no chance of the braid lifting while the epoxy cures.

Comment

To fix a small section of braid a lot of guys will use weather strip adhesive. It's basically contact cement that comes in a squeeze tube and is easy to use for small projects. I wouldn't use a two part epoxy.

Squeeze a little on the track where the braid lays, push the braid into it to get some on the braid, lift the braid, let the glue dry to the point it won't lift off the track when you touch it with your finger and then put the braid back in place and roll it down firm.
        Last edited by Pappy; April 22, 2022, 12:56 PM.
        Butch Dunaway
        Oxford, Ohio

Comment

Thanks guys. This is exactly the information I was looking for! I'll go with contact cement so as not to raise the height of the braid since I'm only repairing patches.

I don't know exactly when the track was built, but I raced on it 15 years ago and it seemed old even then. I'm guessing it's around 30 years old.
          Team SCANC
          Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
          OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
          Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• chrisguyw
            chrisguyw commented
            Editing a comment
            If that is the case, the braid was applied with contact cement,............it is good stuff, as it has apparently lasted 30 years !!!

• Fast Co.
            Fast Co. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! And this track has been moved several times since I’ve known it.
        Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1