My current track build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My current track build.

​​​​I started on this track in March of 2021 and it has sat idle as other things came up as usual. With two weeks off for vacation, I was able to put some time back on it.
    ​​​​​​In the last few days I have been putting in about 8 hours aday .
    This was the original layout, but after running a few laps I wasn't thrilled as it was lacking speed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	03 26 21 .jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	153225
    So I extended each side of the table and added two long straights to let the cars open up. Click image for larger version  Name:	20211205_172759.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	136938 I will post more on my progress and some "how to's" as I continue this track build.
    Last edited by Tycosaur; March 24, 2022, 10:56 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_34929.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	136941 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_34927.jpg Views:	4 Size:	4.08 MB ID:	136940 Once again I used the jig that I made to route the slots. This makes it easy to make corrections before I commit to routing.

Comment

After routing, I use some fine sandpaper to soften the ends. This helps avoid the sharp edges that could cause tape tear when wrapping the tape under it for the connections. Click image for larger version

Name:	End, not sanded.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	136943 Click image for larger version

Name:	End, sanded.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	136944

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wire for connections.jpg Views:	860 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	136951 Click image for larger version  Name:	Connections.jpg Views:	854 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	136952 I've never had any problems using 16g wire with crimp connectors. I cut out the area on the table a few inches back where each section is joined and then connect the wires from under the tables.
        Last edited by Tycosaur; March 24, 2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Name:	Fence posts.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	136971 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fence material.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	136972
          I always try to repurpose as much as I can when building my tracks. For the fence post, I use some discarded store display racks, then just cut them down to the lengths I needed.
          I used a product called weaving net for the fence material.
          Last edited by Tycosaur; December 12, 2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Wow nice track
            Dave
            Peterborough Ont
            CANADA

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fence closeup.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	136976
              Though the look of the material doesn't look like chain link fence. It looks good enough and it does the job.
              Last edited by Tycosaur; March 8, 2022, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211208_073506.jpg Views:	431 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	136979 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211208_202102.jpg Views:	421 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	136980 I've been putting the Cameo vinyl cutter to good use by cutting viny decals for the retaining walls.
                Last edited by Tycosaur; December 31, 2021, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dec 14 IV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	137301 Progress continues on my current track build. I have added more foam as ground, wall barriers using MDF and foam. I'm trying to keep the walls to scale but do not want them to obstruct any views of the cars as well. Click image for larger version  Name:	Dec 14 I.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	137302
                  Last edited by Tycosaur; December 31, 2021, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• HO RacePro
                    HO RacePro commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Could you give us an idea of where you live? Some folks may want to come race with you!
                    Ed Bianchi

• Tycosaur
                    Tycosaur commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am in the south suburbs of Chicago and the door is always open for racing.

That looks great! Do you have a drawing that shows the whole layout?

Can you elaborate a little on using the vinyl cutter for the track banners? What is printed versus cut from solid color material?

Comment

Originally posted by cdub View Post
                    That looks great! Do you have a drawing that shows the whole layout?

Can you elaborate a little on using the vinyl cutter for the track banners? What is printed versus cut from solid color material?
                    Sorry, cdub but I dont have a drawing of the track.

Here is how I create the logos.
                    I start by cutting out the logo, in this case it is Mobil 1. I use a piece of blue vinyl since it is the primary color of the logo.
                    Next I cut out the other two parts of the logo in their color.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	M1 collage 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	672.6 KB ID:	137384
                    I then peel off the "o" and the boxed #1.
                    Next I put the red "o" without the center and the black box without the 1 in place.
                    I then peel off the outer blue part of the vinyl leaving the logo on the backing paper.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	M1 collage 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	398.2 KB ID:	137385
                    The final step is to place a piece of contact paper over the logo to keep it all in place.
                    Then simply apply it to the area you choose and carefully peel off the contact paper leaving just the vinyl.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mobil 1 G.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	137386

You can also use the outside of the cut vinyl and use it as a stencil. Then just paint it with a very dry brush or dab the paint on with a sponge blotter.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mobil 1 H.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	137387
                    I hope this helps.
                    Tycosaur

Last edited by Tycosaur; December 16, 2021, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Doing a great job
                      Matt B
                      So. In
                      Crashers

Comment

Looks like a great track

Comment

Name:	20211215_191708.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	137419 I had some downtime to paint the Mobil 1 logo on a piece of foam using the stencil and a very dry brush. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211215_191747.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	137420

Comment

Coming along BEAUTIFULLY
                            TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                            Warren, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1