Praise for variable voltage power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise for variable voltage power supply

Granddaughters left today after a too brief visit. The nine year old has turned into pretty good driver, earning the track name Princess Nerf. Very good timing and car control. I started them out on 6V and have slowly ramped up to 9V. Yesterday had some great racing at 8.5V running slot.it and scratchbuilt cars. I usually run at 10.5V. So glad I chose to power the track with a variable voltage unit. I highly recommend one for any new track build and also to parents or newbies frustrated trying to keep cars on the track. As an old timer returning to the hobby I started at the standard 12V then began messing around with different voltages just for fun. Discovered the sweet spot for my track and the cars I chose to run to be 10.5. Optimal lap times and the most fun.

That’s exactly what I do with my 7 year old son. He races between 8-9 volts and I personally race at 10.5 volts. This wouldn’t be possible with that horrible wall wart on my Carrera track at 14.8 volts! Hopefully your Granddaughters will return soon for some more fun!

Comment

I've been thinking about replacing the standard Carrera wall wart - but there are lots of options on Amazon. Does Linear vs. Switching make a difference with slot cars and what supplies are folks using?

Comment

This is what I have. I can highly recommend it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30V-10A-Adj...72.m2749.l2649

Comment

That's very similar to mine, except mine is 30V/30a. Its roughly 18 years old and never has been the least trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
            This is what I have. I can highly recommend it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30V-10A-Adj...72.m2749.l2649
            Exactly what I have (x2) and they work great! I also have the professor motor leads to attach to my Carrera terminals. These are a serious upgrade over the wall wart(14.8 is waaaayyy to high a voltage as discussed here btw)
            good luck and you won’t be disappointed!

Comment

Plenty of inexpensive options available, and it's an easy way to make it more enjoyable for new racers. Well done.
              Come Race at The Trace!
              Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Last fall I converted my three lane routed wood track to individual power supplies for each lane. The main reason was to try and equal out the playing field for all the drivers/cars. Most of the club members are good drivers so it really came down to the cars. For those of us that have been racing for some time, we all know the we have our favorite "Race" cars and we also have some "Favorite" cares that we don't race because they just don't have what it takes. What our club found is that we can now race many more cars competitively by adding a couple of tenths to the voltage as needed. These added power supplies have made the racing much closer and allowed us to race much more of our slot car collections, thus making our club racing much more fun!

As stated above, there are many options for power supplies available and many at quite reasonable costs these days both on ebay and Amazon.

Comment

Hey all, wondering if someone can help me out. I have a Scalextric Sport track that I converted to run cars in either direction. I am interested in adding a variable voltage power supply to my track and rid myself of the wall wart. I was told that the standard scaley powerbase does not function correctly, by just wiring a 3rd party PS to it, and if possible I really want to keep my dual polarity. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Comment

• slothead
                    slothead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have a 90 watt variable voltage Lionel train power supply connected to a Scalextic powerbase for my oval, and a Pyramid variable power supply connected to another Scalextric powerbase on my road course. Both are routed wood tracks and not bidirectional, but using the powerbases made it easy to use the Professor Motor controllers I had with Scalextric plugs on them. I cut the plugs off Scalextric wall warts and connected the power supplies to them to plug into the powerbases.

Because of the higher amp output of the Pyramid power supply I got a fused panel from SCC to go between it and the powerbase.

One thing to remember is Scalextric wall warts are AC and the powerbases have diodes in them to convert the input to DC. Having a DC input works just fine for 'forward' power and should do the same when you reverse it - but I haven't tried that.

• Slot Car Corner
                    Slot Car Corner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please check your PM for a message.

Is there a plug and play variable power supply for Scalesport track, or will I have to solder leads from the track etc? Thanks.

Comment

I wired in a double pole double throw switch (DPDT) into each lane for reverse direction on my routed wood track.
                    This is the link to the part on Slot Car Corner:https://slotcarcorner.com/collection...versing-switch

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1