Overpass Height and Slope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpass Height and Slope?

Setting up a new Carrera track and adding an overpass. I don’t have the Carrera overpass bridge sections.

Two questions:

1. how much clearance should I have under the crossover?

2. how many sections prior to the cross over do you start raising the track?

Here is a pic of the initial layout.

thanks,

Bruce Click image for larger version

Name:	D8CB0F91-5781-4C8E-B96F-81CFBB8AEF54.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	142741

overpass height will most likely be dictated by the cars you intend to use
    when building my track i didn't own any of the FLY trucks
    obviously when i acquired a couple of these trucks the overpass was too low and had to be raised ( i settled at 5mm truck clearance )
    this then led to the inclines being too steep which caused numerous problems , particularly in my 'corkscrew' section
    therefore IMO keep the gradients as shallow as possible . especially on the 'exit' side

kev
    Kev
    Burnley
    England🇬🇧

Comment

You want the overpass high enough that you can reach under it easily to retrieve a car.
      Ed Bianchi
      York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

It actually doesn't need as much as you think. 1/32 is good at 2 1/2 - 3. 1/24 is good at 3 1/2. Measure a few cars and you'll see what you need. One suggestion, if you are all skilled drivers, no worries, but if not, a curvy overpass can be hard to navigate. A lot depends on driver skills.
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

You would certainly want to avoid a problem like this.

Comment

I run Fly trucks. On my old track, I had 3 3/4" of clearance on my overpass. Try to keep the track under the overpass straight. A curved section under an overpass invites de-slotting.

Comment

I ran Fly Trucks on my previous track and about 4½" seemed good enough. Click image for larger version

Name:	Overpass 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	142937

​​I also cut the table and sunk the track under it to avoid the top track being too high.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Overpass 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	142938 You want a gradual incline just put a ruler across the two sections of the track where they join. You don't want a peak or a valley under the ruler.

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1