Bi-directional Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-directional Wiring

Looking for some assistance. I don't know if it is posted already.

Looking to have one switch that will reverse the direction of the track from counterclockwise to clockwise. I have found diagrams that will enable one to do this at each driver station. In my case that would be 3 separate switches. Just looking to have one that will change direction for all 3 lanes (1/32 scale routed wood) at the same time.

Thanks,
    Glen
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Glen
    Zen Raceway
    Severna Park, MD

I know SCC sells driver kits with a lane reverse switch. I'm guessing they also sell the lane reverse switch by itself. Might be worth reaching out to them as I would imagine you could simply hook the switch up for an lanes.

Comment

I used the SCC switches on each driver station. I bought them with their station and wiring kits. It made the entire process much easier. The components they have in their wiring kit are much better than anything I could find, if I could find them at all.

Comment

• gsnopoint
        gsnopoint commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bal, I saw those. Looking for a way to have only one switch for all 3 lanes. Looking to see if anyone has done this before.

If you never expect to use electronic controllers with your track you can put a single reversing switch right after the power supply. The problem with that is it will change the polarity of the track wiring, which is the direction that electricity will go through the controllers. Resistor controllers will conduct electricity in both directions, but electronic controllers only work in one direction. If you have a single reversing switch your electronic controllers will only work with the switch in one position, but not the other. Having a reversing switch for each lane is the simple solution. If you want to switch all of the lanes at once one way to do that would be to have a DPDT relay with a 115 VAC coil for each lane that is activated by a common light switch. I can't recall ever seeing a mechanical switch that would do the same thing.

Comment

• gsnopoint
        gsnopoint commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rich.
        Kind of what I thought. We use electronic controllers.
        The hope was someone figured out an easy way to have one switch away from the drivers station.
        Going to have to go with 3 separate switches.
        Last edited by gsnopoint; August 2, 2021, 12:17 PM.

As RichD says, you can use relays, although they do not have to be AC ones. You could use 12VDC ones and run them off your track power supply if has a high enough current rating for the additional three coils. It is safer to work with low voltage DC wiring.

If you really want to use a single switch for three lanes, you can get a 6PDT switch (two poles per lane). Electrically, it is basically three DPDT switches ganged together. Search for "6PDT switch" in your favourite search engine to find some (Newark sells one for around $19 ). If you go this route, make sure you get one with enough current capacity for the contacts. I see some light-duty ones that would soon burn out. Allow for a factor of safety.

Be sure to do a continuity check with the controllers and power supply disconnected before trying it out.
      Last edited by Shadow; August 2, 2021, 02:20 PM.
      David Shadow

Comment

Here's a 6PDT switch rated at 20A @ 125VAC for a reasonable price from Digikey. The DC rating will be lower than the AC rating but the switch should be acceptable for 1/32 home use. At $23 its not a bad deal.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...0N13-Z/5086833

Comment

A 6PDT switch should be OK, just be VERY careful how you wire it.

Comment

A 6DPT switch will work nicely to switch all three lanes with the switch located between the controllers and the track rails. See attached wiring diagram for details. Took me less than ten minutes to sketch up.

Just need to do some careful soldering. Use a ohm meter to check the wiring before connecting the power supply back up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Going to stick with the 3 switches (one per lane), don't have the skillz. Going to put them away from the driver stations to "prevent" accidental triggering.
              Knew there was a way. Just a electrical novice.
              Last edited by gsnopoint; August 9, 2021, 05:48 PM.
              "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Glen
              Zen Raceway
              Severna Park, MD

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1