Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guide & Clearance Rule Clarifications....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide & Clearance Rule Clarifications....

Technical:
    • Guide - Only one guide may be used. Guide must be no more than 6.35mm deep at it’s deepest point between the braid and lowest portion of the guide blade. Cars with guides that drag in a slot can be excluded from the series or race. No weighted guides.
    • Clearance - All cars must exceed minimum 1 mm clearance under all parts of the car during tech inspection including gears, except tires, guide & braid. NO exceptions.
    Loan Shark aka Matt
    I am Alive because Organ Donation Worked... TWICE
    Lake Country, BC, Canada
    Shark Pit: 38' Routed MDF

Bump for reminder!
    Loan Shark aka Matt
    Lake Country, BC, Canada

Comment

Matt, that "1mm clearance ... including gears" is a bit out of the ordinary for proxy races; in past proxies I've entered gears were excluded from clearance measurement. The only reason this is a concern is the Datsun 240 I'm building needs very small wheels/tires to fit under the wheel wells (stock tires are 17mm mounted on the rims, I'm trying to fit 18s) and the anglewinder gears are 16.5mm or 17mm so only .75mm or .5mm clearance. Any chance of a re-think on this rule or am I SOL?
      Cheers
      Scott
      Last edited by GT6; April 19, 2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Oh dang. I was thinking mostly about the sidewinders in this respect. I felt that the inherent advantage of the sidewinder would be outweighed by the fact that they had to run the 1mm clearance under the gears as well. I figured running the 18mm gear a taller 19.5mm tires would create more balance between the sidewinders and inlines. I'm really sorry, but it is too late to make such a big change. Cars have already shipped. 🥴
        Loan Shark aka Matt
        Lake Country, BC, Canada

Comment

• GT6
          GT6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Running a 19.5mm tire with an 18mm gear only gives .75mm clearance (for clearance it's radius that counts, not diameter), you'd likely need a 20.5mm tire to run 1.25mm gear clearance, giving you a bit of a safety margin. Not sure how you figure taller tires would be a disadvantage, if I was running a SW I would just run an offset pod to drop the motor/chassis if I had to use larger tires.
          cheers
          Scott

Well, that eliminates my Alfa and Crapi …….
        The Jester
        of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
        the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

Well that why I went inline. nothing i tried work to get the gear clearance and still have a car that handled without being too tippy. i ran sidewinder in the over 2,.Ol class and had to run taller tires to make clearance and the result was a crap car..
          THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
          Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

I have not even thought about a car yet. Brumos send me your Alfa or Crapi so I can convert it to inline. Going to run out of time.

Comment

OK, so resigned myself to having to go inline. Dig into the crown gear collection and... GHAAAHHH!! not even that works. The crown I need for the ratio I want is 16.40mm diameter, which with an 18 mm tire gives 0.8mm clearance under the gear . Rapidly running out of options here.

Comment

Yah ok. I blew the sizing thing with regards to gears and tires. Unfortunately it's too late now.

However just for a bit of clarification, the rules package has been posted as is for some time now. There is nothing new in here. I'm guessing some folks didn't read them fully and catch the subtleties. There are still months before the due date. Nobody said it would be easy or that they'd even be great race cars. The TA O2 is a prime example of cars that are tippy (if they followed the rules and met the 1.5mm clearance). This is not much better at 1mm. Yes they'll be tippy. Who can build the best one that meets the rules? I for one want to see. I'm convinced there will be a few good cars and then there'll be some that aren't like mine.
                Loan Shark aka Matt
                Lake Country, BC, Canada

Comment

Hi Matt

I am building a Capri, a project that I committed to and started last year before entering the 914, the car is based on a famous Team Gunston Capri Perana #181 that raced in South Africa, the decals came from Tailormade in Germany. The rules states a maximum of 2 digits, what are the consequences for entering a car with a 3 digit number?

Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capri Z181.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	159208

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capri Z181_2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	159209
                  "I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
                  "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

• Loan Shark
                    Loan Shark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Chris. I'm sorry to say I don't want to start breaking rules for a variety of reasons. It becomes impossible to draw the line any any point if I do.

Not passing the technical inspection is grounds for not moving on.

The car looks great by the way.
                    Last edited by Loan Shark; April 20, 2022, 12:30 AM.

rereading the rues before sending in my car, All looks good, testing this weekend then sending.
                  Austin
                  Merrimack, NH

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1