Viewing Recent Posts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing Recent Posts?

One of the options I used daily on the previous forum format was "View New Posts." The new forum has a "New Activity" tab, but appears to only flag new topics, not new posts, which are often replies to comments and threads that I am interested in. So is there a way to view new replies and comments as well as new topics?

Thanks,
    Rick V.

It is not exactly like the old, but clicking on NEW TOPICS will show you the latest posts that you have NOT read. Once you have, that will go away and simply update to the ones you have not.

Try this how to video for help.

Last edited by SCC_Steve; October 11th, 2019, 11:50 AM.
    -Harry

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Rick but I think the tab was called 'Portal'. That was the tab I always used. I have a feeling that Harry has already answered this question but I can't remember what he said.

Jules

Comment

Ah, simultaneous reply. Okay. Preferred the previous tab but will get used to it. I still get the feeling I will miss something.

Jules

Comment

Here is an example.....
          I just posted on this topic. Under the old system, clicking 'Portal' would show my latest post up near top of list and I could see I had commented. However, with the new system there is no way to check that. Clicking 'New Topics' does not show this topic ("Viewing New Posts") at all.

Am I being a dum-dum? What I am missing?

Jules

Comment

Hmmm. Had to use the back button to get back here. Could not find another way to "View New Posts". Naturally, I wanted to see immediately if someone had shouted "Dum-Dum". They hadn't, but if they had how would I have known and been able to respond instantly with an appropriate retort?

"You're a Dum-Dum" could potentially have escaped my radar. That's not good.

Jules

Comment

But let's be happy with this place. Over on SCI, you have not been able to see new posts since October 2nd. In fact, you can't see anything at all.

Comment

Click on "forums" in the opening page. Then drop down and hit "latest activity". I think that shows newest posts
                Matt B
                So. In
                Crashers

Comment

Matt, that was one of the options I tried. It does show that there is activity on the thread but not the latest post on the thread. It only highlights the thread starter, see image below.

Jules

Comment

Hello Everyone,

As Harry said earlier, the new forum doesn't work exactly like the old. An example might help clarify how the "New Topics" works in vBulletin.

Let's assume we have three forum members - Jules, Mattb and Steve.

Steve posts a new topic. Steve will NOT see the new topic in his "New Topics" (because Steve created the topic, he's already "read" it). However, Jules and Mattb will see the new topic in their respective "New Topics" feeds.

Jules and Mattb then read the topic Steve posted. Since they've now "read" the topic, the post disappears from their respective "New Topics".

Jules responds to the topic. Jules will NOT see his post/reply in his "New Topics" feed (again, since he authored the post, he's already "read" it). Mattb and Steve will see Jules' post listed in their respective "New Topics" feeds. Once Mattb and Steve read the post, it will disappear from their "New Topics" feed.

Mattb thinks about the topic and submits two more posts in rapid succession BEFORE Jules or Steve read either one. Mattb will not see either of the 2 posts in his "New Topics" feed. Jules and Steve will see a SINGLE entry (with the date timestamp for Mattb's second/most recent post) listed in their "New Topics". Once Jules and Steve read the post, it will disappear from their "New Activity" feed.

Steve replies/posts to Jules and Mattb. Steve will NOT see the new topic in his "New Topics" (because Steve created the topic, he's already "read" it). However, Jules and Mattb will see the new topic in their respective "New Topics" feeds.

And so on...

To summarize:

1) When a forum member posts a new topic, they will not see the topic listed under "New Topics" (because as the author, you've already read/seen it). All other forum members will.

2) When someone else besides the forum member who created the topic posts a reply, the forum member who originally posted the topic will see the post listed under "New Topics". So will all other forum members except the poster who replied.

3) If the original poster who created the topic subsequently posts in the same topic, they will not see the topic listed under "New Topics". All other forum members will.

Bottom line - this is the way vBulletin handles the "New Topics" stream.
                    Last edited by SCC_Steve; October 11th, 2019, 05:41 PM.
                    Steve - Connecticut, USA - Team HRW

Comment

It is not as detailed as the PORTAL I had installed on the old forum.

Please bear this in mind: The amount of time and code editing it took to make that thingy....well, I'll just say those are days I cannot get back

We cannot do these edit levels here in the cloud based version of this forum.

That is a GOOD THING.

Why? Because I break stuff. All the time. And ONE typo would crash a forum.

Between the NEW TOPICS tab... the LATEST TOPICS feed on the right side and LATEST ACTIVITY tab, it is about as good as it gets.

When you start "tweaking" things can go wrong. Like forums crashing or not working at all...or getting hacked (ahem).

I am unaware of any other forum Sir Jules. Hopefully no one is paying 1000's of dollars for a system that does not...and have not worked for quite awhile.

Meanwhile....we have not one but THREE fully functional and SECURE sites.

Just sayin'.....

-Harry

Comment

Like any change, it just takes time to get used to it. Geez, trade in your 10 year old car for a new one and it will take a couple months before you know how to use everything.
                        Matt B
                        So. In
                        Crashers

Comment

Looking at the cars today, I'd say it would take a few years to get used to them. That might explain why I am still holding on to a 1995 Buick.

Comment

I just click on the tab named "Today's Posts" from the home page since I check in each day to see what is new its not a problem for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1