So much for the pilgrimage......
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Owners pass away?

Or retired and business closed?

Dan

Comment

I am reading his wife Dolores died last week, and Buzz died this week, I would imagine in part, of a broken heart.

It seems it will, with almost certainty, be the end of the last commercial slot car track establishment in New York City.

Last edited by Vintage 1/24; May 13, 2021, 09:30 PM.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Very sad to hear...RIP Buzz and Delores!!
          TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
          Warren, Ohio

Comment

I have raced at Buzz-a Rama a few times over the years , and , always dropped by in n conjunction with business trips to NY, ...........always received a warm welcome, and, felt that I was visiting one of the true homes of US slot car racing !!!

RIP, you will both be missed !!

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Comment

RIP. Raced there in the 70’s as a teenager. Used to travel up from Philly with my Grandfather. When I got out of the NAVY in 86, was discharged out of Brooklyn. The first place I went was to their track. Blew my mind that he remembered me from over a decade earlier. He was always very kind to me. I think their son Frank Jr. will try to keep the place open. Hope so, cause I left a car there back in 2010, and haven't been back North since to retrieve it!
              Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
              Facebook-
              https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
              YouTube-
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DEE36ED5-F918-42B6-90C8-69A018F65B2C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	98540
                Last edited by 4380r; May 14, 2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

They both had covid. Delores passed away a week ago or so and Buzz held on for a week. They were very health conscious, so it's surprising they caught it, It has been hiding everywhere and it must have snuck up on them. I believe Buzz was 86 years old.
                  Last edited by mattb; May 14, 2021, 06:15 PM.
                  Matt B
                  So. In
                  Crashers

Comment

https://fb.watch/6FPB2ZoUxU/
                    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
                    Facebook-
                    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
                    YouTube-
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

My wife says she remembers us going there once decades ago, but I don't recall it. Regardless, it was a fun video and reminded me of other commercial tracks I went to. They seemed to have a thriving business for many years.

What's happened to the place now? Looks like rent increases were going to force them out eventually. I hope someone was able to find a location to keep it going, even if on a smaller scale.

Comment

Because I had an Imperial AMCR Red, which is the granddaddy of the King Track, I still have 2 of the huge lap counters on their poles, two of the power supply/8 lane timers, a rolling Race Director remote control, all the literature for a franchisee including where to put cigarette machines, snack machines, soda machines, what kind of carpet to use in what places, spare parts for the track, the drawstring bag with colored balls to choose what lane you would be on, all kinds of stuff an owner would need. Someday, someone will want to buy all this stuff. The huge lap counters with pinball machine number drums should be worth a lot to someone. I keep hoping someone will want all this stuff. Rather than let it go to rot, I will keep it safe in my barns until someone will give these things a good home. Imagine what a decoration one of those huge lap counters would be, attached to a wall in a slot car cave! Anyway, I'm holding out for the right person.

Comment

• 2cool
                          2cool commented
                          Editing a comment
                          wow, can you post pics of these things??

• waaytoomuchintothis
                          waaytoomuchintothis commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They are all exactly like what you see in the video. Must have been within a year or two of the same production. At the very top of its fame and fortune, AMCR was bought by AMF (the destroyer of all things of quality- remember what they did to Harleys?).

Buzz owned NY real estate and the building the raceway in was his building. The lease/rent for the rest of the building is what allowed the raceway to stay in business. Obviously, NY prices would prohibit a raceway paying for itself. The family now has the property and Frank says they are going to have one more race in the future and then the inventory and tracks will be sold.
                        Matt B
                        So. In
                        Crashers

Comment

The place should be declared a landmark and protected. They did that with a movie theater in Rochester NY while I was in graduate school.

As we all know slot car racing is a great hobby. Even though there are now video games and many other distractions what kid still wouldn't love to go to a place like that with his dad, uncle, or grandfather?

Comment

I've got some great stories from the time I've personally known the late Buzz and Delores Perri. I didn't venture from Eastern Long Island into Brooklyn at all in the 60s, and not much early 70s. In the late 70s/early 80s, Buzzy created a mail order auction program called "The Buzz Word" for HO slot cars, mostly for the original Aurora Model Motoring Vibrator and Thunderjet 500 cars, before all the internet madness became the norm. I was one of his first subscribers, and he always introduced me as such to new acquaintances. He would also come out to Long Island and vend at our annual Super Bowl Slot Car Show, sometimes standing on a chair and selling NOS cars and parts in live auction style! I always had fun at the few racing and vintage slot car events I did participate in at Buzz-A-Rama. Just too much to type here, but I've got a lot of good memories! I hope to be able to participate in the final race when it's held there.
                            RIP, Mr. and Mrs. Perri. Thanks for all the FUN, and for keeping one of the last (if not THE last) of the original "Slot Car Palaces" up and running for so many years.
                            Ernie --

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1