Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TGIF-Slot It, Policar, Carrera, SRC, a slot book, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGIF-Slot It, Policar, Carrera, SRC, a slot book, and more!

Some spring slot car news anyone?

Slot Car Nerd/Photographer/ Just a self-styled marketing guy on my back porch.
    Check out my YouTube channel for weekly slot car news

Thanks Dave
    Brad
    Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Thanks for another update video.

After watching the current slotcast, links to a bunch of others showed up so I watched the one from Jan 4, 2021 about slot car classes. This was the one where you talked about racing within a brand and which brands can most likely be raced head to head and still be competitive. As a solo racer who creates multicar races based on recorded lap times this factor is important to me. My classic Trans Am class is mostly Scalextric and Pioneer RTR cars, the lone exception being a SCX Hot Wheels AAR 'Cuda. The 'Cuda was included because it's such a great looking car and it's respectable on the track. On my track the Pioneer cars (notchback Mustangs and a single Camaro) seem to have a slight advantage, but some of the better Scalextric cars are top performers too.

I recently added the new #76 Scalextric Sam Posey Challenger to my collection. I've had the #77 Challenger for years and like the Cougars it's not a top performer, but they are all needed to have a field of cars truly representative of the Trans Am grid from that era. The newer Scalextric Javelins (inline) are very competitive in the class.

When I lament that even though I race compatible brands in this series (all stock RTRs with PG tires) they aren't all closely matched I remind myself the actual classic Trans Am series was dominated by whatever cars Penske built and Mark Donohue or George Follmer drove. In most 'real' racing only a few cars are likely winners in any given race unless there's a Daytona type pileup.

Back to the Scalextric Challengers, the #76 is much better than the #77. Since the #77 was never competitive this is good news, but my question to you and the HRW community is why this might be. Is this just normal car-to-car variability, or is the newer one different in some way? Anyone know if the #76 has a different motor than was being used when the #77 was released?

Qual results
      car# 76 77
      team Adamowitcz Posey
      make Dodge Dodge
      model Challenger Challenger
      min 10.594 11.751
      mean 10.837 11.928
      max 11.223 12.079
      adj mean 10.819 11.932
      median 10.809 11.883
      The adjusted mean is the average of qualification laps (10) minus the min and max lap times to exclude any outliers.

Comment

• Dave Kennedy
        Dave Kennedy commented
        Editing a comment
        To me?
        Trust me when I tell you that you're overthinking this motor thing. These are toys. Motor variability is wide with toy car motors.
        Trust me when I tell you know one does this kind of measurement at ANY of the toy companies... ever.

• slothead
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. You've answered my question. The difference in performance can be attributed to normal car-to-car variability.

• Dave Kennedy
        Dave Kennedy commented
        Editing a comment
        yes as much as 10+% either way for motor performance alone.

The 77 and 76 were released how many years apart?

Comment

• Dave Kennedy
        Dave Kennedy commented
        Editing a comment
        dunno about the specs of the motor but trust me when I tell you if you're after very technical information you need to figure it out yourself by testing it. You've already put more time into it than Scalextric ever would have when the choose a motor. You're analyzing this in a way that they don't. These are toys.

• slothead
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        It's all fun to me Dave. What else would you expect a retired research scientist to do? I have detailed stats on just about all of my 200-ish slot cars. This is my substitute for no longer being able to conduct experiments with human subjects. Unless, you were to imagine my posts are the stimulus and the HRW community are the experimental subjects. Silly thought huh?

• Dave Kennedy
        Dave Kennedy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's fine. I'm just pointing out that this type of deep consideration isn't shared by the makers of the cars. I'm very happy to have you be so serious about our hobby... I also like being critical of designs/parts/fitment too.

Thank you Dave, I'm really excited for the batmobile, a must have.

Comment

• dw5555
        dw5555 commented
        Editing a comment
        Even with his lipstick?

• williamg
        williamg commented
        Editing a comment
        It's the car that matters, imagine the turbine engine sounds as it zooms around the track.

Another thought about performance... the newer tires are MUCH harder than the older ones. It's really stark when you check how much softer the older tires feel if you feel them compared to the new ones.

Comment

• Silberpfeil
        Silberpfeil commented
        Editing a comment
        "Feel-ings..... Whoa-whoa-whoa feeeeel-ings..."
        Last edited by Silberpfeil; March 28, 2021, 05:10 PM.

• slothead
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        I have noticed the tires on new Scalextric cars are not as soft as they used to be. I time trialed the new #76 Scalextric Challenger with sanded stock tires before putting on XPG tires. It was faster than the older #77 Challenger (PG tires) with both stock (0.7 sec faster) and XPGs (1.07 sec faster). On my MDF road course I think the newer stock tires are better than the older ones were. As concluded before, normal car-to-car variability due to the motor of friction factors are likely the best overall reason. Fun conversation - thank you.

• Dave Kennedy
        Dave Kennedy commented
        Editing a comment
        you should have seen the looks on faces when I asked what shore rating the tires were currently during a meeting... blank looks back. I wanted to have nothing harder than about a 30 shore tire hardness... no one had any idea.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1