The "24 hour War"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "24 hour War"

For those that are interested in Lemans and the Ford/Ferrari saga, ...."The 24 hr War" is new on Netflix. It is a documentary ..(Hollywood not involved ),... ...and gives a brief history of Lemans, but, is focused on the Ford/Ferrari battle.
    It runs for an hour and 40 mins. and contains some really great archival footage, and interviews with the relevant characters of the time..designers, drivers, company execs, and journalists.

Very well done !!

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Yes sir, watched the other day.
    -Harry

Comment

Thumbs up from here as well. Very well done. Some nice archival footage too!
      Founding member of Rocky Mountain Racers, a 1/32 club based in Calgary, Alberta Canada: http://www.facebook.com/rockymtnracers
      Canada’s Tourist Trophy Event Founder and Organizer: http://www.facebook.com/touristtrophycanada

Comment

I have the DVD from last year. Very well done, very atmospheric.

Comment

Agreed.....for anyone wanting some historical background this is a great primer. And then...."LeMans"
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

I cant believe how the decision makers shafted Ken Miles. After all the development work he did. The victory was his. Then the ACO rules saying the car that travelled the furthest wins. Miles pitbox was only a few meters away from the winning black #2 Ford of Bruce McLaren & Chris Amon. Then Miles dies while testing. Very sad.

Comment

• Fast Co.
              Fast Co. commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to knock Bruce McLaren's character, as he's widely known to be a terrific guy, but I have to wonder - why did he accept the win and not hand the trophy to Ken Miles?

Well...having just watched this, now don't know if I need to go see "Ford Vs. Ferrari", because I just saw the "real thing". Fantastic footage!

Having said that, going to the theater with my son will be time very well spent: I'm going to suggest we watch this documentary together to see what he thinks..although I think I already know...

As an aside, isn't it great to see cars that were not covered in sponsorship markings?

Thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

Mark in Oregon

PS: now we have to have a doc about those equally stunning cars... "Mr. Hall and His White Racers", anyone?
            Last edited by strummer57; November 21, 2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

no markings sure.....but a ton of money spent by all involved

Comment

How do you make a small fortune?

Take a large fortune and go racing.......
                Come Race at The Trace!
                Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up Chris. My son and I went and watched Ford v Ferrari on Thursday and I just watched 24 Hour War on Netflix. I think I actually prefer 24 Hour War....

Comment

HI All
                    Any of you older guys remember the movie "Grand Prix ??
                    That's the move that hooked me, Slot Car Racing was always more fun after that.

bigman

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
                      Mickey thumbs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I still remember the young Italian driver saying I take two, there’re small , his arms around a pair of Team Honda pit bunnies.

Originally posted by bigman View Post
                    HI All
                    Any of you older guys remember the movie "Grand Prix ??
                    That's the move that hooked me, Slot Car Racing was always more fun after that.

bigman
                    I totally dug Grand Prix but what stuck with me to this day was Ms. Francois Hardy. A natural beauty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FH.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	8484

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSlab View Post
                      Thanks for bringing this up Chris. My son and I went and watched Ford v Ferrari on Thursday and I just watched 24 Hour War on Netflix. I think I actually prefer 24 Hour War....
                      I have to agree with you.

Although I personally found "Ford v Ferrari" a feast for the eyes (and ears), I wasn't over whelmed by the typical Hollywood dialog...and boy, those drivers sure spent a lot of time glaring at each other when they were racing side by side or passing.

One wonders why even after getting the shaft by Ford, Miles was willing to test their J car...

Still, it was a pleasant afternoon spent with my son...and the sushi afterwards was great!

Mark in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post

I totally dug Grand Prix but what stuck with me to this day was Ms. Francois Hardy. A natural beauty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FH.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	8484
                        Absolutely gorgeous

Comment

• chappyman66
                          chappyman66 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The woman is pretty nice too....
                      Working...