Welding piano wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding piano wire?

I am not a shill for this. I just think it is pretty cool. I don't even know the price.

Ok, I went and looked at the price.
    Last edited by noddaz; November 17, 2020, 08:36 AM.
    Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Sunstone makes some really great products,.......however, $2,000.00 to 4,000.00 for an entry level hobby welder is not for everyone.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

I have a little 120v wire feed welder. I never even considered using for chassis. I may look into it, but as has been said, I won't be buying a tiny welder for thousands, regardless.

Comment

Solder secures piano wire good enough for slot car chassis? I mean unless the countless chassis I have made were wrong?
        -Harry

Comment

Originally posted by waaytoomuchintothis View Post
          I have a little 120v wire feed welder. I never even considered using for chassis. I may look into it, but as has been said, I won't be buying a tiny welder for thousands, regardless.
          The simple non technical answer ......stick with your iron for chassis building...................welding uses/requires SIGNIFICANTLY more heat than soldering, and the increased heat can change the properties of the base metal (the wire)..........this may reduce the flexing properties and memory of the piano wire, which is why it is so good in the first place.

Cheers
          Chris Walker
          Last edited by chrisguyw; November 17, 2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
            waaytoomuchintothis commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for saving me the bother. I did wonder about the heat involved. I have burned through some stuff.

Tig? Plasma. Super cool! .... but it'll take the twang right out of piano wire where ever you spot it.

Spendy with with a near vertical learning curve for the unindoctrinated. You dont just pick up a tig torch and start spotting piano wire together, that is fractionally over the diameter of the tungsten electrode.

Chris is right of course. Dont let your iron quit it's day job!

Comment

The #1 advantage solder has over welding is the ability to melt it again.
            Kevan - Isle of Man
            Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

I have a question about piano wire , when soldering how clean must it be ? Can you just clean it off with rubbing alcohol and then rough it up with steel wool or emery cloth ?

Comment

• chrisguyw
                chrisguyw commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes...........give it a good rub with the steel wool/sandpaper,........it is highly advisable to use liquid acid flux for soldering piano wire, and equally advisable to thoroughly clean off the acid flux when you are done.

• SlotCat
                SlotCat commented
                Editing a comment
                Chris nailed it, great answer!

Sure, I just use sandpaper.
              -Harry

Comment

Harry, ChrisVWguy and ModelMurdering nailed it regarding welding piano wire, take the temper right out of it and no more springy.

Comment

I get that as a tool for this hobby , price wise it is quite unrealistic.

But you have to admit that it is pretty darn cool.
                  Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

• chrisguyw
                    chrisguyw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Some people spend a lot on their hobbies !!

For the length of time that takes to spot a weld (less than a tenth of a second) the wire isn't going to generate enough heat to take the temper from more than a couple of mm of wire.
                  Kevan - Isle of Man
                  Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

Cool video - thanks for sharing!
                    I enjoy solding mine, but there are times it would be really handy to be able to spot something like that!
                    🙂

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1