No announcement yet.

Worldwide slot car chat Zoom Meeting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping to participate in the last one but I looked at the time after it had already happened... I'll try to be at the next one.

Comment

You're invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #15
      Time: Jul 29, 2020 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
      https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8689292935...RZbTFVelozZz09

Meeting ID: 868 9292 9353
      Passcode: 954951

Time Zone Calculator for 6pm CST:
      https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...1=234&p2=179&p 3=136&p4=37&p5=240&p6=103

Participants should mute their microphone unless they are speaking. This is to avoid accidentally interrupting someone who is talking. If you are making noise, I will mute your mic, so don't unmute until you're ready to speak. That said, don't be afraid to unmute when you want to add something to the conversation. I don't always catch every little wave. Join the chat a few minutes early to test things out and figure out where the mute button is. We are usually there 10-15 minutes early, but the recording will start on the hour.

We'll start with short introductions for returning guests, full intro for new guests who want to share, and then open it up to show and tell, news and reviews, and general Q&A. We will then pull topics from the list I'm making from your suggestions!

Suggestions are welcome for talking points and questions you would like to see us answer. If you have a burning question for the group, or a subject you'd like to discuss or watch later, please post your ideas below. I'll compile them all before the show and we'll see how many we can get to.

Come as a viewer or participant, either is fine. You can mute your mic and/or block your camera, it's up to you. There's even a text chat function that can be used if you don't or can't use a microphone.

I hope you are able to join us!

Comment

Meeting in about 4 hours. Topic ideas still welcome! Don't miss it!
        https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8689292935...RZbTFVelozZz09

Comment

I checked in this morning and found out is the later time. I will miss it, have to work.
          1 meeting (even number meeting number 2,4,6...14) is early 1pm central time and the other (odd number meeting number 1,3,5,7... 15) is 6pm central time.
          Greg, thanks for having these. I always watch later when i cannot make it.
          Lance Sofa racer

Comment

Comment

• lance
              lance commented
              Editing a comment
              Another great meeting. I know, not what many people in slot racing want a certain body and would to do all this resin stuff. really wish i could have attended this one. Im looking to make silicon molds and resin cast couple of items in near future, I have the supplies and have made one, just need time to get to the others., John, another great tutorial. Your video is more informative than i see on youtube or the manufactures videos.
              Hopefully a tutorial on mold making.
              your molds look pink, what is the material? mine are blue, mold star 30.
              Last edited by lance; August 2, 2020, 02:35 PM.

Sorry to have missed this week - had too much going on.

John - I enjoyed your resin casting demo! Always fun to see how others do it.

I will caveat one thing: John is correct that certain resins have very little to no smell. However, each resin has it's own MSDS that should be read. In some cases, they may contain isocyanates and these can cause physical reactions via touch of material in liquid form as well as a breathing problem when solid and turned into dust via sanding. THAT is what did me in. I can handle a solid resin body, I CANNOT breathe any resin dust without having a significant reaction. Many folks in industries develop a reaction to these over time - took me many years to do so.

Some of the stuff used way back when were extremely toxic. I've gotten old resins from the 60's that I literally bagged and disposed of due to the smell, oozing, etc. that they were doing.

If I can join the next, I'd be thrilled to talk about my process where it is similar and different to what John showed. There is no right or wrong, just different ways we all learn to do things.

I enjoy teaching/learning about all things casting. Thanks John!

Comment

Dave, I was hoping that you would have been able to join the chat as I'm always looking for new methods/materials for casting! Thanks so much for watching!

You are absolutely correct, as a liquid, either as separate parts or once mixed, the resin is quite inert with it's only real potential hazard being that of irritation of the skin upon contact.

Once cured, the resin does post a respiratory hazard as a particulate. That is, removing large portions of cured resin, such as flash, has effectively no risk while fine particles, such as those resulting from sanding pose a greater hazard to the respiratory and circulatory systems.

Dave, your molds were so well done and the pulls from them were immaculate, why was there a requirement for sanding?

Looking forward the next Worldwide chat to learn about your process!

Thanks again,

John

Comment

John - some of the times just don't work. I'll see if I can manage the next one.

The sanding comment is when doing the master work. I'm usually using a back-cast body to begin with from a 3D model. Therefore, I'm cutting, sanding, etc.

As for using other folks' bodies - some of those need substantial cutting and sanding due to the casting methods used. It can also apply when attempting to thin a slush-cast body. TONS of sanding in either of those examples.

As for my molds - I always recommended taking a green Scotchbrite pad to lightly rough the body to give primer something to grab onto. Smooth, glossy resin is pretty on a shelf, but not a good basis for painting

Comment

Ah, got it!

I had an idea that it wasn't your models that needed any sanding and this explains why your bodies were so good!

I hope you are available for the next chat, hope to see you and chat then!

Thanks so much!

John

Comment

You're invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #16
                    Time: Aug 5, 2020 01:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
                    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8382947739...Q4b0VpRW9FQT09

Meeting ID: 838 2947 7394
                    Passcode: 257724

Time Zone Calculator for 1pm CST:
                    https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...1=234&p2=179&p 3=136&p4=37&p5=240&p6=103

Participants should mute their microphone unless they are speaking. This is to avoid accidentally interrupting someone who is talking. If you are making noise, I will mute your mic, so don't unmute until you're ready to speak. That said, don't be afraid to unmute when you want to add something to the conversation. I don't always catch every little wave. Join the chat a few minutes early to test things out and figure out where the mute button is. We are usually there 10-15 minutes early, but the recording will start on the hour.

We'll start with short introductions for returning guests, full intro for new guests who want to share, and then open it up to show and tell, news and reviews, and general Q&A. We will then pull topics from the list I'm making from your suggestions!

Suggestions are welcome for talking points and questions you would like to see us answer. If you have a burning question for the group, or a subject you'd like to discuss or watch later, please post your ideas below. I'll compile them all before the show and we'll see how many we can get to.

Come as a viewer or participant, either is fine. You can mute your mic and/or block your camera, it's up to you. There's even a text chat function that can be used if you don't or can't use a microphone.

I hope you are able to join us!

Comment

• 4424ever
                      4424ever commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Will this one be posted?
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1