Scalextric Brand Manager-interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric Brand Manager-interview

Today for Slot Car News I posted a wide-ranging interview with a former co-worker. Simon Owen in the Brand Manager for Scalextric. It's his job to research cars, help decide what to produce, and work with the marketing team. I interviewed him on Wednesday and we discussed this year's releases and his thoughts about how he decides on which cars to make.
    We plan to do more interviews as new samples of cars arrive at his office in the UK.
    Slot Car Nerd/Photographer/ Just a self-styled marketing guy on my back porch.
    Check out my YouTube channel for weekly slot car news

Dave
    A fantastic interview with Simon
    You asked about every question I would have. I now have a little better idea of how it all comes together.
    You are a major asset to us on hrw.
    Thank you sir
    Eric Foster
    Port Republic Va

Comment

I would like to know why Scalextric doesn't produce cars with aluminum wheels, gears, adjustable front wheels, adjustable pods, standard guides, etc? They produce excellent bodies and I think they would expand their market with better running gear and chassis.

Comment

• lance
      lance
      HRW Forum Veteran
      lance commented
      Editing a comment
      Their product is aimed at the toy market. scalextric is small part of the Hornby brand. (hornby has many companies :airfix corgi, trains and others).
      a standard scalextric has plastic wheels, plastic gears, knurled axels, their own guide system and no pods. They would have to develop and manufacture different parts and have them put together in limited numbers. all of this would take lot of time and money for limited return on this investment.

couple of years ago, they made a PCR chassis with the open section for slot it pod for some models where someone could use the more robust slot car parts. this is a great idea as they would have the standard chassis mold already and only have to make the mold have a insert to make the slot it pod area. Slot it had some replacement chassis in their shapeways 3D printed, but are limited models, and pricy with the shipping.
      Taking advantage of a company that already is making these parts would seem to be the best cost efficient way to get a better performing scalextric product
      lance
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Last edited by lance; January 16, 2022, 02:34 PM.

• Dave Kennedy
      Dave Kennedy
      Super Moderator
      Dave Kennedy commented
      Editing a comment
      NSR do not do a standard chassis that works between different models of cars. They make pods that do but not chassis.

• Bal r 14
      Bal r 14
      HRW Forum Veteran
      Bal r 14 commented
      Editing a comment
      I said standard chassis style. NSR uses basically a flat pan with the same front end and pod mounting points. I wasn't trying to start an argument, just suggesting a possible marketing opportunity. I'm always looking for more variety in better quality models. I'm sure I'm not alone.

AWESOME VID DK...and thanks to Simon Owen for taking the time to do the interview and to fill in so much info!!
    TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
    Warren, Ohio

Comment

Thanks Dave and please pass on a good British “Thank you very much” to Simon.
      I am racking my brain on what his favorite film car might be. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang seems too complex. Beverly Hillbillies? Ghostbusters? Likely 80s or 90s? Shaggy looking Dumb and Dumber? Chevy Chase Vacation wagon?
      oh well
      jeff

Comment

Thanks for that vidoe, Dave. Enjoyed hearing from Simon about the various projects.

I especially liked what he had to say about the Mustang and Cobra. I also heard Simon distinctly say that there will be a Fox body somewhere in the future.

Brian

Comment

• Dave Kennedy
          Dave Kennedy
          Super Moderator
          Dave Kennedy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes the Fox body Mustang was something that he and I had talked about extensively when I was there. In fact it was talked about that if the IROC sold well then we'd do a Fox body Mustang as sort of a sister car. Yes, we knew that IROC technically never would have competed against the Mustang in IROC but it seemed like a natural car to make also from the 80's. He was mentioning that as a teaser I think to me as much as to the audience.

Simon: "...and tell us what you want to see..."

Me: "See photo below. Preferably in 1:24. Thanks, Simon! "

Click image for larger version  Name:	iu-1.jpg Views:	49 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	143602
        Silberpfeil
        HRW Forum Veteran
        Last edited by Silberpfeil; January 18, 2022, 09:38 AM.
        Mark

Comment

That was great to listen to. Thank you Dave and Simon both for taking the time to do this.

Scott
          Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Anyone want to start speculating on Simon's favourite movie car? - Herbie / Christine / Chitty Chitty Bang Bang / some thinking needed. He said he can't give a clue because it is such a famous car that one clue would give it away.....

Dangermouse to the rescue.

Comment

Dave way behind in thanking you for your reporting and really enjoyed the interview

Double thumbs up!!!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

Updated opinion from my previous post.
              Simon’s favorite film car is the AMC Pacer from Wayne’s World.
              Party On! Excellent!
              jeff

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1