• Show
Clear All

• Predator Long Can Sighting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	506EA3C8-3773-4914-A64C-648953B8F379.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	122686

Just heard the shipment is close to delivery. Another 2 to 3 weeks and there be a full stock.
    -Harry

That sounds great Harry, can't wait to get a few, and give them a try.
    Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
    Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

Do these have typical hard FK 180 brushes or the copper strips that rub the comm? Most of the slotted cans I've opened have the thin wipers. What do these look like Harry?
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

It has regular brushes. Guess you are opening motors I have not dealt with. Except the super cheap "toothbrush" ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brushes.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	122738
        -Harry

Comment

• slothead
          slothead commented
          Editing a comment
          I still have some oval cars powered by long can toothbrush motors. Local salvage store had loads of Orajel ones on sale for $1 each.

• Fathead59
          Fathead59 commented
          Editing a comment
          Slothead , how do they run with that type of motor ?

• Fathead59
          Fathead59 commented
          Editing a comment
          The reason why I ask is because I never taken an electric tooth brush apart , so I don't know what they look like .

Good news, I got some motors that had the slots in the can and they just had wipers, not real carbon brushes. Can't wait to try these and get my land barge done. I'm ready to order!!
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

Can’t wait to get mine but I would also add that every toothbrush powered car here still running quite well
          Dave
          Peterborough Ont
          CANADA

Comment

Great news, I can't wait to give this new motor a try.
            Brad
            Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Most all these motors we use were designed for toothbrushes, electric shaver and hair trimmers, remote control car mirrors, They are in a lot of stuff we use every day.

I've been told Mabuchi has over 100 different windings and rpm ratings. Those are motors they stock and sell by the thousands. I'm sure many just get labeled as a slot motor or maybe a train motor. They are just house winds. I've also heard that if you request certain windings and rpm ratings, they custom build what you want, but the minimum order is pretty big.

Just info I've heard around the internet.

Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

• Rastas
                Rastas commented
                Editing a comment
                I looked into it to my self but what I had to order was way out of my price range!

We use the #11170 toothbrush motor in our 1/32 scale Formula Ford cars. I've got a bunch of them and have never burnt up or wore out a motor
              Butch Dunaway
              Oxford, Ohio

Comment

Fathead - I guess you have your answer from the comments above. I haven't kept track but most of my oval track cars with toothbrush motors are still going after 10+ years. The only issue with using motors rated at 3V is they wind up quickly with a 12V power supply so you have to be gentle on the throttle (controller). I still have a few electric toothbrushes I bough back then but never harvested the motors. At some point I bought a bunch of Professor Motor PMTR1500 Hot Rod motors for $7.50 each and those became my go-to choice.

I'll definitely give these new Predator long can motors a try if I build some new cars.

Comment

Yes sir...found out from Mr. Kennedy today on his YT channel!!!
                  TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                  Warren, Ohio

Comment

Looks like I will be putting in an order soon from the looks of things!

Comment

• Mikeinclover
                      Mikeinclover commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You have to still give us a couple weeks before they will be available.

• TuscoTodd
                      TuscoTodd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Patiently waiting... 👍

Any more news on these yet
                    Dave
                    Peterborough Ont
                    CANADA

Comment

• Slot Car Corner
                      Slot Car Corner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      See Harry's post a little further down this thread.

Looking forward to some testing. I pulled a couple Jaws out of some older built cars and I have 2 Baby Kings. The Jaws are a bit faster. They are several years old and have some miles on them, but I think one of them will last a full race. I will give the Predator a chance, though.
                    Matt B
                    So. In
                    Crashers

Comment

• War Eagle River
                      War Eagle River commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, the Jaws had a little more top end than the Baby Kings, but not as much torque. Haven’t tested the new Predators yet, but from what testing I have seen, they are comparable to the Jaws.

I don't have any of the Jaws motors but do have the NSR King. I'm still waiting for gears that appear to be doing a US tour before coming to Canada. I will wait to test the "big" car until the Predator long can motors arrive.
                    Brad
                    Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1