Tyco track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyco track

I have a small Tyco Richard Petty layout from the 80"s (I think). I'd like to build a small 4 lane oval and build some TJet vintage modifieds. I started out in the 60's with an old Aurora set and I'm thinking I'd like to go back to HO scale. Where is the best place to get some 12" radius turns and some straights to build my set out to 4 lanes?

Thanks
    Rick

Try ebay or Slot Car Central

Comment

Lucky Bob & Jag Hobbies both show 12" Tyco curves too.

Comment

Other members may be able to assist on the 12" radius corners - or worst case, there is always eBay for the older style Tyco track - but I have to say it is hard to beat the fun of t-jets on a 4-lane oval! We have two different ovals in the local group that see regular action - one has tight 6" inside corners - the other is set up with the 9" inside corners - both are a lot of fun to run no matter which class we run on them!
        Look forward to seeing some pictures of your build!

Comment

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of going down to 6" radius to finish it out. Thanks, that might make it easier.

Comment

How large a table do you plan to use? If the track gets too big, 6" radius may be a bit tight for an oval, especially if you're looking to have some decent size straights. If you don't have too much of the TYCO track, you might consider selling it off and buying the currently available TOMY AFX track. This will allow you to make nice sweeping curves with 15"R inners and 18"R outers. Then you'll really be able to do some nice power slides with your T Jet racers! Just a suggestion...
            It's your call, of course... so either way, good luck and don't forget to have FUN!! -- Ernie

Comment

Something to consider for sure. I actually have the whole set with the Richard Petty Pontiac and the Chevy Laguna and the original box. The cars are in excellent condition. I also thought of getting the Super International set and just setting the Tyco aside.

Comment

• BIG E
                BIG E commented
                Editing a comment
                My recommendation, for sure! The complete TYCO set with the original cars will retain good value. If you don't want the newer TOMY AFX cars that come in the new set set, just leave them in the bags and sell them off. I've had people who wanted to get new track for running T-Jet and pancake motor AFX cars only. I tell them to do the same thing - buy the big 4 lane TOMY AFX set, and I'll buy the cars from them. This puts money back into the pocket of the returning slot car hobbyist for more cars, parts, track, ect. Good deal all around!
                Good luck, have FUN, and... Enjoy! -- Ernie

Each of the ovals we regularly run are fairly small tracks (set up on door slabs) - but they do pack in some good fun! I have been tinkering with a TOMY based one that has progressive corners where the inside track is made up of a 6" followed by a 9", 12" and finally a 15" on exit and with the outer lane being 3" larger all the way around starting with 9" followed by 12", 15" and exiting with 18"! It makes for some nice drifting through the corners with FAST blasts down the straights - but you definitely need to find your braking points to get into that first tight radius!
              Here is an overhead shot of what it looks like...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_212903-1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	85314

Name:	Drift_Oval_pic~1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	85315

For reference - here are shots of the two ovals we run on regularly - the first being the one with the 6" inner radius corners...

Name:	20171118_212211.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	85316

Here is the one with the 9" inside radius corners...

Name:	fetch?id=84147&d=1614479570.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	85317

Comment

• Zcarfan
                Zcarfan commented
                Editing a comment
                My HO oval is like Todd’s at the top, super fun to run and quick!

Very cool, Todd. A track that size works great with the smaller radius curves. Used to do the increasing or decreasing radius thing with the corners on my old original AFX 4 laner (4x16' table), back when the first generation AFX G-Plus car was the new thing. We ran all the open wheelers in the top class of our road racing series, box stock with aj's slip on rear silicones. It was especially fun with the modified T-Jets and AFX cars that could power slide nicely out of the turns. That track also had color coded lanes, dynamic braking, and the old Aurora electric lap counters wired in. All that's left now is the table it was built on!
              Thanks for the pics. Stay safe and healthy! -- Ernie
              Last edited by BIG E; March 8, 2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1