Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega G/G+ Bodies on older chassis?

Hi all,

HO newbie here. The answer to this is probably obvious to the more experienced HO racers, but is it possible to fit the current generation Mega G/G+ bodies to older chassis types: Turbo, Super G, Magnatraction,, etc (even Tyco 440x2)... I am thinking, in particular, of the Mega G Porsche 962s, like this one: https://afxracing.com/product/porsche-962-17/

Thanks

I asked a similar question some time ago. Actually it was on the old forum I hope the link works
    https://homeracingworld.us/viewtopic...bodies#p219510

Comment

Great, thanks. Sounds like the Porsche 962s, which are for the 1.5" wheelbase, should fit some of the older chassis (Turbo, Magnatraction) I have then.

Comment

The Porsche body is made to fit the short 1.5 inch Mega G and Mega G+ chassis. I have one of those bodies, but I have modified it to use with a chassis that takes pin mounted bodies. Most closed cockpit Aurora A/FX and Magnatraction bodies will fit on Tomy Turbo and Super G+ chassis. With the Super G+ chassis a wide body mounting clip is needed. Aurora chassis have body mount ears molded as part of the chassis. When the Mega G car was introduced there were long and short chassis, Bodies made for the longer 1.7 inch wheelbase chassis will not work with the older Aurora or Tomy chassis. Tyco cars use a different mounting system than either the Aurora/Tomy or AFX Mega G/G+ cars.
        Since I have modified the Porsche body I was not able to check to see if it would snap on an older chassis, but at least the wheelbase is the same. Tyco made a nice Porsche body that has the correct wheebase for a 1.7 inch Mega G/G+ chassis. You would need a special mount that snaps on the chassis however.
        Be aware the there are a number of injection molded and 3D printed adapters available so that bodies and chassis by different makes can be interchanged.

Comment

Thanks for the info Rich. Yep, the wheelbases are the same, so there should be some way of working it out even if it's not a easy and direct fit.

Comment

Some people just remove the tabs from the inside of the body and use Velcro or double sided tape to hold the body more or less in place. I am not a big fan of that method. For mounting bodies on chassis that have posts for mounting pins I have used this procedure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p9S...ew?usp=sharing
            A year or so ago we wanted to run semi truck cab bodies on Mega G+ chassis like so:

The Mega G+ chassis has a rectangular hole in each side where the bodies attach. I made mounts to fit the holes and epoxied them to the truck bodies. The trick with any sort of homemade mount is to position the part that attaches to the body so that the body sits properly.

Comment

Search for a body clip to fit the chassis you want to use...Then fit it to the body...I know this is not the chassis you want. But this Mega G has a custom body with a mounting clip secured inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	87255355_666031824130421_19613002516922368_o.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	834.1 KB
ID:	37329

Name:	100_4639.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	37327

Name:	100_4606.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	37328
              LARRY

"OLD PEOPLE NEVER MAKE MISTAKES"...We just spend the rest of our lives paying for the ones we've made when we were younger..

Comment

Thanks to both of you. More useful info to bear in mind.

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1