Click image for larger version

Name:	0F2E5DE7-95DA-4018-90F5-9267ABA1E451.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	998.0 KB
ID:	142462 Click image for larger version

Name:	F088934A-1739-4308-98C3-2535B5ADAD7F.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	142461 George Wambold ran dorney park speedway in Allentown PA. I was only 1 when the park closed but I was a big fan of his growing up at mahoning valley speedway.
    Attached Files

Looks Great! I always enjoy looking at slot cars with a little story behind it guess that's the model builder in us I have a few of those Big Donkey Resin cars I'm working on making them into my favorite drivers from years ago at Lebanon Valley Speedway in NY.
    Jeff Fitzpatrick
    Troy, New York

Comment

• TheSlotSpot
      TheSlotSpot commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. The cars had so much character back then. I still love short track racing today but the vintage mods are definitely my favorite. No 2 were ever the same. Big donkey makes a nice body. I actually chopped this a little and its sitting on a tyco 440 not a Tjet.

I looked up that car in Modified Stock Car Racing of the '60s and '70s by Steve Kennedy. I could only find a different #81 Gremlin that was driven by Sammy Beavers at tracks like Flemington Speedway in NJ and Syracuse NY. I was wondering if both cars had the same builder.
    For this season HOCOC is running the Modified Madness series for that sort of car. Polecat has decals for many vintage modifieds.

Comment

John, That looks great. I'm glad to see some Dorney Park cars showing up.

Rich, The 81 that George Wambold ran at Dorney Park and the John Norcia owned 81 that Sammy Beavers (and many others) raced are not the same builder.

Comment

Dorney park cars are so unique. Huge bumpers and rub rails almost a dead giveaway it was a park car.

Comment

Yep, not a lot of racing room so you had to use some muscle some of the time. I've noticed a lot of the Dorney Park cars were also very narrow.

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1