A question for the HO community...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the HO community...

I'm finally getting around to working on my 4-lane layout again, and the dilemma I have is that I wanted to do all the scenery etc. in S-Scale (1/64) that better reflects the cars that would be running on it...

The problem is there is so much available in HO scale (1/87), and very little in S...

What have you folks used, 1/87 or 1/64 scale for your scenery, and what do you recommend...?

And feel free to post any pics of your layouts...

Thanks for your time...

All the best...
    Ron...

Actually a model railroading dilemma too, which is where I first got acquainted with the technique; but it's been a while. Providing the drivers stations are all on one side, one would use forced perspective. "S" scale in the front, H0 more towards the back. It's fairly easy to trick the eye, but you have to play with it.

A quick search reveals gobs of it. Good luck.

Comment

Use what you want and race. Remember to show pictures!
      Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Model Murdering View Post
        Actually a model railroading dilemma too, which is where I first got acquainted with the technique; but it's been a while. Providing the drivers stations are all on one side, one would use forced perspective. "S" scale in the front, H0 more towards the back. It's fairly easy to trick the eye, but you have to play with it.

A quick search reveals gobs of it. Good luck.
        Forced perspective is an interesting concept and process... I did a quick search and there are some interesting examples... Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by noddaz View Post
          Use what you want and race. Remember to show pictures!
          Thanks... There will be lots of pics...

Comment

you can go see mine Vins ho layout , mostly homemade building if you missed any tracks,might be able to help you
            Sylvain

Comment

Use Google Chrome to get a translation: http://www.mgi-mikutta.de/
              I can’t find the website for this track, but here’s something off Stephen’s website: https://blog.h0slot.ch/galerien/ngga...s-gueux/page/1
              Some 1/64 scenery items: https://www.fullcirclehobbies.com/co...ures-buildings
              There are many S scale scenery items from the model railroad field but only a few may be applicable to a race track.

Comment

Originally posted by vins123 View Post
                you can go see mine Vins ho layout , mostly homemade building if you missed any tracks,might be able to help you
                Sylvain
                Checked it out Sylvain, nice work...

Thanks for sharing that as I may in fact go the scratchbuilt direction...

Comment

Originally posted by WB2 View Post
                  Use Google Chrome to get a translation: http://www.mgi-mikutta.de/
                  I can’t find the website for this track, but here’s something off Stephen’s website: https://blog.h0slot.ch/galerien/ngga...s-gueux/page/1
                  Some 1/64 scenery items: https://www.fullcirclehobbies.com/co...ures-buildings
                  There are many S scale scenery items from the model railroad field but only a few may be applicable to a race track.
                  Some good resources that I hadn't seen WB2, thanks...

Now I've got a lot more stuff to look at...

Comment

i was going have my sister n law chime in but see that you are talking scenery. so her vast knowledge and expertise is not needed here...

Comment

Originally posted by Beast Lee View Post

Checked it out Sylvain, nice work...

Thanks for sharing that as I may in fact go the scratchbuilt direction...
                      thanks soon i will post new pictures, i made a few changes on my deco

Sylvain

Comment

Originally posted by vins123 View Post

thanks soon i will post new pictures, i made a few changes on my deco

Sylvain
                        Looking forward to seeing the changes...

Comment

Originally posted by docdoom View Post
                          i was going have my sister n law chime in but see that you are talking scenery. so her vast knowledge and expertise is not needed here...

Comment

I've not tried this, but in theory you could find or create digital 3D models -- possibly from Shapeways -- and print them out to any scale you wanted. This would make it possible to create non-standard scales -- like, say, 1/70th scale -- for forced perspective.

A very, very quick search on shapeways.com turned up this...

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/winup-models

The problem is that many sellers want ludicrous amounts of money for their models. Even the more economic prints would run into very heavy money to scenic a whole slot track. The trick is to come up with a way to cut costs by an order of magnitude or three.

We're probably a few years out from massive cost reductions, but I can see how they'll evolve. First, there needs to be a community of folks who will create digital models as a hobby, and share them for free.

Ridiculous? Nah. There are lots of talented folks online doing similar stuff. Fan fiction is a good example. Tons of stuff published on the net without a hope of making a dime, just to have fun and maybe score some cred.

Of course 3D printing in general is getting cheaper daily. It is on an exponential decay curve similar to the early days of personal computing. At the same time quality is improving. Expect both trends to continue.

3D scanning will help a bunch. Find a model -- any scale -- scan it and print as many copies as you want to any scale you want.

And scanning is no longer confined to the benchtop. Architects and builders are scanning whole freaking full-scale structures with laser-based systems! When would those digital models be available online? When would a hobbyist be able to scan such?

Stick around bud. The age of miracles is just beginning.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1