Aurora Thunderjet 500 HO Slot Car Trivia Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora Thunderjet 500 HO Slot Car Trivia Quiz

9 out of 10 but I don't race T-Jets. Besides, who cares where the corporate offices were located when the rest was made in Hong Kong.
    Keep the flame going Jim.

Comment

That was fun! I only got 5 right, but I never liked HO, so I thought that was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptosc6 View Post
        9 out of 10 but I don't race T-Jets. Besides, who cares where the corporate offices were located when the rest was made in Hong Kong.
        Keep the flame going Jim.
        They weren't made in HK back then. I have both an NSR and Slotit Trivia Quiz in the works

Comment

Got 7 there
          Austin
          Merrimack, NH

Comment

I got all 10 right. While the rolling chassis were made in Asia, Aurora made the bodies in their own plant. Many people have wondered what happened to the original tooling, that was the subject of a story called "Raiders of the Lost Slots" (I think). I believe that was written by Ed Bianchi, but perhaps my memory has failed me. In any case the tooling probably was sold for scrap or just went to the dump.

Comment

• HO RacePro
              HO RacePro commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I perpetrated "Raiders of the Lost Slots". In my story the Aurora molds were destroyed in a collision between a truck (driven by the bad guys) and a train at a train crossing. That, by the way, was inspired by a rumor that the real molds had suffered a similar fate. Apocryphal maybe, but more entertaining than a trip to the scrap yard.

So Rich, your memory is still in working order. That incident was early in "Raiders", and not the main drama in the story, but I guess it stuck.

By the way, I aced the trivial quiz. 'Cause I was there. I got my first Aurora racing set back when the vibrator cars were still being sold. When the T-Jets were first introduced I thought they were a crass innovation that would have a nasty impact on the hobby. Okay, I was wrong, but I was only 13 at the time. I had the same reaction when the magnet cars were introduced, but that time I was right!

Ed Bianchi
              Last edited by HO RacePro; December 30, 2021, 11:10 AM.

10 for10 right.
            Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
            Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

Just an FYI..............

Cheers
              Chris Walker

​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	post-29-0-35554600-1517529855.png
Views:	198
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	139513

Click image for larger version

Name:	post-29-0-01225000-1517529867.png
Views:	174
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	139514

Name:	post-29-0-19934400-1517529882.png
Views:	176
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	139515

Name:	post-29-0-28885400-1517529908.png
Views:	172
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	139516

Comment

• Norman
                Norman commented
                Editing a comment
                The first race was held on the Today Show.
                It was on August 21, 1962.
                Henry Harnish won a Ford Thunder Bird.
                From Bob Beers Book " The Complete Color Guide To Aurora H.O.Slot Cars "

Another FYI,..............Henry Harnish and his "TBird" prize and trophy, 1962.......(top left).

Cheers
              Chris Walker

image widget

Comment

Ten for Ten, but only because I enjoy reading about the history of Aurora.

Very cool quiz, Jim!

Comment

I'm going to say I got 11, because I laughed and said, "You just watch, somebody's going to get pissed because they said 6!"

Comment

T-jets? tsk tsk Fail!

They are racing Tuff Ones.

Note the line up ... and the Number 2 Tuffy Beetle with Moss

Awesome pics! Thanx

Comment

I had Auroa Thunder jets in the late 60's, but didn't know much about the history. I only got three right. But it brought back a few fond memories. Thanks Jim
                      Scott C.
                      Amherst, WI
                      Just "a simple kind of man".

Comment

Ten for Ten. Got the bonus point for the front axle holes.

Comment

Geezers like me who've been playing with the Aurora HO stuff from the beginning should get a perfect score, and it was FUN to do so!
                          Growing up within 20-30 minutes of the factory doesn't hurt, either! Thanks for posting! --Ernie

P.S -- I never did get in on the "dumpster diving" that is part of Aurora's lore...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1