Mini GT Diecast conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini GT Diecast conversion.

I started with a Mini GT 1/64th diecast.

The body comes off when you remove 2 small screws.

I used a Mega G+ long chassis, but had to tinker w/the wheelbase a bit. I also created 2 "clips" out of styrene & 3M stick tape.

I had to Dremel out the wheel wells a bit, working slowly & test fitting it a few times.

How does it run? It's heavy, and slow (compared to a plastic bodied LMP car) but it's fun to drive. Any questions?

Bravo!
    Build another one and you’ll have two lanes worth of heavy and slow but fun cars to race against each other.

Comment

Originally posted by WB2 View Post
      Bravo!
      Build another one and you’ll have two lanes worth of heavy and slow but fun cars to race against each other.
      Exactly!

It's even "drifts" a bit, even with the magnets.

Comment

WOW, that looks great. Love it
        Austin
        Merrimack, NH

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
          WOW, that looks great. Love it
          Thanks! I just wanted to find some way around having to paint & decal plain white bodies. In 1/64th scale masking & decaling gets very difficult, plus, by the time you buy a resin body, the right color paint(s) and the correct decals, you're $15/20 into something that might not even turn out OK. These diecasts are about $15 shipped.

Comment

Looks great

if it still goes fast enough to d-slot, it’s fast enough……... I’m not a fan of micro bullet racing (not slamming those who do like it). I enjoy seeing the car and how it looks going around the track, so this is perfect in my opinion. A couple years ago I converted nascar diecast cars.

Comment

Looks great.I find that some of these "heavy" diecast are a hoot to run..
              Rusty
              Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Excellent work, as always! How easy (or difficult) is it to remove and replace the body with your fabricated styrene clips? Sometimes even plastic bodies are difficult to "spread" enough to engage and disengage the body clip. I've got a box filled with diecasts that are awaiting conversion to slot cars, and I'm inspired to get to work.

Thanks in advance,
                Rick V.

Comment

Originally posted by RV Racing View Post
                  Excellent work, as always! How easy (or difficult) is it to remove and replace the body with your fabricated styrene clips? Sometimes even plastic bodies are difficult to "spread" enough to engage and disengage the body clip. I've got a box filled with diecasts that are awaiting conversion to slot cars, and I'm inspired to get to work.

Thanks in advance,
                  Rick V.
                  I have not officially "stuck" the 3M tape to the body yet. Yes, I am concerned that might be an issue. Since the tape is sort of a foam though, and I'm using 2 layers on each side, I'm hoping that once I am 100% sure that I do not have tire rub issues & I stick the tape to the body, that it will be able to be "compressed" enough when I squeeze it to one side to release one side of the clips to get the body off. . I hope. Right now I 'm running it using just the "compression" of the foam tape to hold the clips in place.

Comment

That looks great! Love the Acura NSX.
                    Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

Whats the new wheel base Randy?

Bill

Comment

I've done my share of die cast conversions...Lots of fun when you race die cast against die cast......You have to "drive" them. Best of all they're fairly inexpensive to convert.
                        LARRY

"OLD PEOPLE NEVER MAKE MISTAKES"...We just spend the rest of our lives paying for the ones we've made when we were younger..

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1