Power Supply for HO track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply for HO track

I'm looking at variable DC power supplies for my HO track. will this one work, Adjustable DC Power Supply (0-30 V 0-10 A) with Output Enable/Disable Button HANMATEK HM310 Mini Variable Switching Digital Bench Power Supply

Just want to be sure that the 10 amps will be sufficient for the HO cars, running AW 4 gears. Track will be 4 lanes.

Thank you

You will have more than enough power for four AW cars.

Comment

Check out this article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r_m...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

As RichD's article states power supply voltage/armature resistance is only good for a starting current. This current value assumes no other losses and a full power start. None of these assumptions are true. There are significant losses in car pickups, motor and pickup brushes, track wiring, etc. Once the armature is rotating back EMF lowers the current demand significantly.

For example a number of years ago my linear power supply was used as a supplemental charger for batteries at an HO Unlimited race held on a four lane track. During each heat the current supplied to the batteries would rise from approximately one amp before power was applied to the cars to between 7 and 9 amps at the end of each five minute heat. Current would fall back to approximately one amp when track power was turned off, As power supply voltage remained constant, the power supply was doing all the hard work. Unlimited cars have armatures whose resistance is less than one ohm. At speed the four cars were averaging about two amps per car. For stock motored inline motor cars two amps per lane would be acceptable. Anything with a pancake motor (i.e.AW Thunderjet) could get by with an amp per lane. A ten amp supply will serve you well.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1