Ho Oval - Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho Oval - Tracks

What size is a good Ho oval track? I'm thinking of getting one that is 30" by 66" to run some dirt modified. On the other hand I have a 32 track with a 15' by 4' oval and I'm thinking about changing up the guides to run on the braided track? Is the 32 track too large for the HO scale?? Any and all input welcomed.

Thank you

Years ago I bought a 4X16 foot MaxTrax road course, eventually I bought a new section so that I could convert the track to an oval. In the oval configuration the track has 12 foot straights and 24 inch radius turns, I consider it to be a horsepower track. If you are looking to duplicate dirt short track action you probably would not want such a big track. The biggest available plastic track curves have an 18 inch radius, so the table would have to be 3 feet wide. How long you would want to make the table would depend on how much you would want to open the cars up. An 8 foot table would leave enough space for 5 foot straights.
    If you buy Slide Guides from HO Race Pro you can run HO cars on a braided 1/32nd scale track. Remember that 1/32nd scale tracks are wired with positive being on the right when you are looking in the direction of travel while HO tracks have positive on the left. You could wire the slide guides for positive on the right or have reversing switches at the driver's stations.

Comment

Decades ago I had a 4 lane plastic track oval on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood that I used for dirt modified cars. I really enjoyed it and thought it was big enough while also being able to fold up against the wall. The oval was like Indy in that it had short straights between the corner turns so it was rectangular.

I think HO cars will look out of place on a 1:32 scale track. I don't know what normal HO lane spacing is, but you're not going to have any close side-by-side racing on the bigger track.

If your routing an HO oval you can make larger radius corners than I had and have continuous turns without straight sections in the middle. Most dirt ovals are wider than we think. Bigger radius turns and continuous corners get my vote.

With the size you mentioned (30"x66") your front and back straights will be about 36" long.

Comment

Thanks RichD, I appreciate the feed back. Not really looking for the wide open experience as much as the scooting around the track and navigating the corners. I'm converting some diecast dirt modified cars to HO slots with 4 gears and NYmodified conversion kit. I'm more interested in some sliding action. I'm also looking into Brad Track routed HO tracks, any feed back on them would be appreciated as well.

Thank you again.

Comment

Thanks Slothead, I was thing the 32 track would be too large as well. My thinking is along your lines do a two lane with larger radius corners and a short punch straight before driving into the corners again. I suppose I could go a little wider and longer without loosing that same driving experience? Maybe 36" wide by 72" long

Comment

• slothead
            slothead commented
            Editing a comment
            Brad created the CNC files for my new 1:32 oval, so he gets my recommendation.

36" x 72" would be nice size and still fold up or not take up a lot of space. If you put it on a slightly larger table or sheet you'll have room for borders (must have for a 'dirt' oval) as well as fences and space for bill boards. No dirt track looks complete without body shop and gas station signs. Making it look realistic will amp up the fun factor.

Running HO cars on your 1/32nd oval will be fun! Yes, you won't have car-to-car contact, but racing will still be a blast. Install Slide Guides on the cars. That will make them run perfectly on a 1/32nd track.

As for the right size for an HO oval, the 4-lane 4' x 10' low-banked oval I built for Gerry Cullan has proven to be extremely popular. The track has copper braids for power, so no magnetic downforce whatever -- lots of sliding! I have a similar 4-lane oval track that is 4' x 12' -- also popular. I built a 6-lane oval track for Jeff Stillwell. That track is 5' x 8'.

The short 6-foot straights on Gerry's track mean that many passes have to be executed in the corners. And don't think passing on an inside lane is a given. A long time ago I proved you can nerf from the outside lane, right Gerry?

Just because a track is small doesn't mean the racing is inferior. Frankly it tends to be more exciting because the cars run close together.

You don't need extreme banking on an oval, especially with gravity cars. (And why would you race magnet cars on an oval? Bohr-ring!) A 10-degree bank is quite enough. My 4' x 12' oval has a 20-degree bank, and I would not recommend any higher banking.

The lane spacing I use for HO is 1-3/4". For 1/32nd I use twice that - 3-1/2". If I want to run 1/32nd cars on an HO track we just run the cars on every other lane. It might make sense to just rout the extra lanes on the closer lane spacing.

Ed Bianchi
          Ed Bianchi
          York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

• GTI
            GTI commented
            Editing a comment
            Ed, do the slide guides work for the 4 gear chassis?? And where do you get these??

Thank you

This is about 4’x8’. Track is MaxTrax bought used. Turns 1 and 3 are tighter than turns 2 and 4.
          Original owner ran T-Jets. I run AW Series III and SRTs without traction magnets at 12 volt. Also running urethane tires.
          To be honest, I haven’t fooled with it in a while.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8BEEFC52-B3B9-4A55-9F80-528EDD861F04.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	109398

Comment

We run on a couple different ovals that fit into that size and smaller in our local group and they are a LOT of fun!
            Here are shots of two of them:

This one is based on 6" inner radius 9" outer radius corners and 54" long straights

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=84149&d=1574740400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.9 KB ID:	109404

This one has 9" inner radius / 12" outer radius and 45" long straights

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=84147&d=1614479570.jpg Views:	1 Size:	401.9 KB ID:	109405

In addition to the two above, I have a layout that I have been playing with has increasing radius corners with the inside starting with 6" and then progressing to 9", 12" and finally 15" on exit, with the outside lanes being 9", 12", 15", 18".
            The straights are 48" and it fits on a hollow core door as well (and still allows for drift aprons)
            It drives as a faster / larger track as you can start laying into the throttle sooner through the corner (making for fun controllable drifting) but you still need to watch the tight entry making for a nice mix.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170519_212903-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	250.6 KB ID:	109406

(it is a little easier to get a feel of the layout from the track drawing here)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drift_Oval_pic~1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.2 KB ID:	109407

All three of these designs are more about fun in the corners than horsepower down the straights and provide a good amount of drifting fun with the Aurora and AW cars we run on them.
            Last edited by TuscoTodd; July 19, 2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• ourwayband
              ourwayband commented
              Editing a comment
              I like those tracks!

Great looking tracks and lots of fun being had! I'm tempted to get the HO track and some slide guides for my 32nd track. Thanks guys really appreciate all the information and insight.

Comment

• TuscoTodd
              TuscoTodd commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to pick up some of those slide guides myself to try out as I imagine they would be a hoot to use with some old Eldon 1/32 track I have!

Here is a photo of my 4' x 12' 4-lane high banked (20 degrees) HO oval. I've sold a number of these, and have parts in inventory to build two more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Langhorne Speedway.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	109450

And here is the 6-lane 5' x 12' low-banked (10 degrees) oval I built for Jeff Stillwell. All the scenery is his own work. The color, "Georgia Clay" was created based on a sample of Georgia clay that Jeff took to Sherwin Williams for a color match.

Name:	2017-07-01-0002.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	109457

Name:	2017-07-01-0001.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	109458

And some photos of other tracks I have built. All of these tracks will run HO cars with Slide Guides and 1/32nd cars with the shallow guides used for plastic track.

Ed Bianchi

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alliance Park Raceway.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	109451

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beers Point Track.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	109452
            Last edited by HO RacePro; July 19, 2021, 05:13 PM.
            Ed Bianchi
            York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with VIPER Ho routed tracks?? Good bad indifferent? I'm looking at them, MAX Trax and Brad track. I inquired about HO Pro, but haven't heard anything back, So I'm considering them as well.

Thank you

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                TuscoTodd commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the guys here in the group is in the process of commissioning a Viper 3×10 “Sniper” 3 Lane track that we will be running the HO TransAm proxy on in the coming weeks - but the other tracks in the group are all TOMY, MaxTrax, TKO or custom routered.

• GTI
                GTI commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the information

• WB2
                WB2 commented
                Editing a comment
                A T-Jet oriented friend had a large MaxTrax oval/road course and downsized to a Viper test track. He’s very satisfied with it, even landscaped the track.

I have a three lane Viper that is 3' x 12'. Magic Raceway was purchased as a kit and installed the rails myself. Good quality product.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Slide Guides can be found on the HO RacePro North America site.

Comment

I think the size depends on what cars and how fast they are also whether you’ll use cars with traction magnets.
                    My track is six feet by two & a half feet but I have only been using old Thunder Jets with no traction magnets at 16 volts.

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-s...-lane-ho-track

I’m thinking these would be fun on a small oval.
                    https://dmotors.myshopify.com/collec...ash-ss-chassis

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1