Tyco Indy car bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyco Indy car bodies

I got a few Tyco cars with one of my track lot purchases and cleaned and rebuilt them. They run good on my oval but the Lamborgini and Corvette bodies just don't fit in on an oval. After a little searching I found these which I'm going to strip and repaint,

Laminate a thin piece of model aircraft plywood to the underside of the wing and never break a front wing again. The wood goes from wingtip to wingtip and through the nose of the body. Super glue works well for this.

Comment

• BIG E
      BIG E commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great tip for our Forum members, especially if they're gonna actually RUN the cars after refinishing them.
      For the open wheel bodies I run in our winter "crash 'n' burn" series, I do the same thing but use old credit card material. Super strong, and it can also be used to fab up complete replacement wings if necessary. Let me tell you, on those BIG 6 lane TOMY AFX tracks we run on at a regulated 22 volts, these cars really have to take a shot! - Ernie :>)
      Last edited by BIG E; August 26, 2021, 02:52 PM.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to strip some of these for repaint and I'll reinforce the front wings as well. These were a body lot with no wings, drivers heads or windshields. I don't think the missing windshields are very noticeable so I just need to make some drivers heads and wings from scratch.

Comment

I have always used piano wire, epoxied in place, to repair/reinforce front wings.
      Ed Bianchi
      Ed Bianchi
      York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

If you want something really strong get some thin carbon fiber sheet.

Comment

Here are my first two repaints. Rick Mears and AJ Foyt from 1984. I used Indycals for the decals.

Comment

• BIG E
            BIG E commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, that Foyt car really does it for me! He's always been my guy, when speaking of American born drivers, with Mr. Gurney a very close second. Fortunately, I've had the pleasure of meeting both on more than one occasion. Nice results for all your work.
            Thanks for the photos, and... Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)

Those turned out GREAT!

Comment

What nice repaints, nice job.
            Austin
            Merrimack, NH

Comment

Next one is Roberto Guerrero from 1990

Comment

Here's the entire field of repaints. I did clean up one of the Kraco cars as is. I added the driver heads and wings and detailed with Indycals.

Comment

That is making for a great looking field of cars!

Comment

Thanks for all the very nice comments. These were a bit of a departure for me but they were a lot of fun to do and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Thanks
                    Rick

Comment

Very nicely done. Those would make a great field for a 1 Mile Challenge, or a scale '500'.

How long is your track if you measure the distance around between lanes 2 & 3?

Comment

Presently I'm at 17.5 feet between lane 2 and 3. I'm probably going to add another 3 feet soon. I'm trying to strike a balance between Tyco Indy cars and Tjet modifieds so a mid size oval is probably where I need to be.

Rick

Comment

• slothead
                          slothead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          For the length of your track a car will cover 1 full mile in 302 laps. That's 75.5 laps per lane, which could be rounded down to 75 laps. 75 lap segments should go pretty quick on your track, then run a different car in a different lane till they have all run 75 laps in each lane. Do a race report after all cars have done a segment using the times to complete the segment, and so on.

To do a scale '500' would mean having each car race for 4.7 (laps per scale mile) x 500 miles = 2,357 laps. For 6 cars that would be a ton of laps, something only a data nerd such as myself would consider.

• padirtfan
                          padirtfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry, I was told at the start of this hobby that there would be NO math.......

That is a great job on the repaints..Nice detail for something in HO scale.Very nice...
                        Rusty
                        Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

• padirtfan
                          padirtfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can't take any of the credit. Indycals did all of the hard work. I can say it was more difficult than decalling a 1:32 car.
                      Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1