I Finally Jumped In!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally Jumped In!

I cleared out the infield on my 1/32 oval and set up a 2 lane Tyco oval. I bought some extra 15" straights to lengthen it out a bit. I found a circa 1977 G Plus car that I had in a box in addition to the Tyco stock cars form the set to start out and I have a Willys AW TJet on the way. I'll be checking in to see what's what from you experts as I've been out of HO for 40 years!

Rick

Great to hear! Look forward to seeing the set up!

Comment

Here it is. It's humble but fun so far.

Comment

Looks like fun to me!!!
        Rusty
        Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Cool, looks like an infield go-cart track.
          I used to run HO's on my Carrera analog 1/32 track, no problem, try one on your big track. I accept no blame for unforeseen circumstances.
          Allan

Comment

Lol, I told my son I was running quarter midgets in the infield...

Comment

• Fathead59
              Fathead59 commented
              Editing a comment
              Now you and your son can build a couple of midgets or even go-carts for the track

We got back into HO cars couple years ago I am working on a small track (Had to Leave Room for 1/32 Scale) the cars are small but the fun is big!! I learned so much setting up this track like wiring, making boarders out of cork roadbed, lane color painting we have thought about making an HO oval too like you have there so many possibilities for HO circle track cars speaking of AW Thunderjets I have a really easy way to tune those cars and get rid of all the axle wobble I'll make a post on tuning those cars i think everyone will like because they really can run pretty well and the do such an amazing job on those bodies anyway here are a couple pics of my HO track and a couple circle track cars we are working on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210607_221417.jpg Views:	1 Size:	521.5 KB ID:	102088
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20210607_221437.jpg Views:	1 Size:	539.3 KB ID:	102089
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20210607_221502.jpg Views:	1 Size:	432.1 KB ID:	102090
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20201030_222400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	345.5 KB ID:	102091
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20201115_075231.jpg Views:	1 Size:	454.6 KB ID:	102092
            Last edited by Fitzy; June 7, 2021, 10:15 PM.
            Jeff Fitzpatrick
            Troy, New York

Comment

On an oval track cars with minimal magnetic downforce might be more fun to drive because they slide at the limit whereas modern inline HO cars are very stuck down and tend to suddenly deslot at the limit.
              HOCOC has a number of classes that are suitable for circle track racing. one is the Fairgrounds class that uses a Johnny Lightning/Auto World chassis with Aurora, JL/AW, Dash and resin bodies.

We used the same chassis with NASTRUCK bodies.

A second class is based on the original Aurora T-Jet chassis, as well as its Dash and Wizzard clones. That would be the Jalopy class.

The vintage Champ Cars are similar.

We also run classic NASCARS from the late '60s and early '70s as the Grand National class.

Our Vintage Tin class is for late '50s and early '60s NASCARs.

There is a class for Coupes, which are '60s and early '70s modifieds.

There is a Whelen Modified class that uses Aurora Magnatraction and JL/AW X-Traction chassis and resin or scratchbuilt bodies.

And finally there is a SK Modified class with 3D printed bodies on a stock AFX Mega G+ chassis.

Comment

• padirtfan
                padirtfan commented
                Editing a comment
                This is the stuff I'm interested in! Your 60's and 70's modifieds are right up my alley.

Rick

You may be in luck. The HOCOC Coupe class is being spun off as a separate series. The rules are still being finalized, but here is the mission statement:
              "Modified Madness" is a HO Scale Slot car Series paying tribute to the iconic New England Small Block Modified Racing during the 70’s when names like Desarro, Stevens, Potter, Caso, Caron, Cleary, Flemke, Summers and along with literally hundreds of drivers who competed during that era and were household names and created legendary racing and folklore stories…..

Comment

That's very cool. Where do you get the bodies for the vintage modifieds?

Rick

Comment

There was a site called Resin Dude that had a good selection of appropriate bodies, the owner died and his molds got passed on to Big Donkey Resins. Big Donkey has never listed the bodies on his site, but I believe that they are still available. Here is a list:

I have pictures of all of the bodies, I can post pictures of any that you might be interested in.
                  Last edited by RichD; June 9, 2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Here are some of my oval track racers -- Wingmaster Sprints!
                    Ed Bianchi

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3117.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	1,022.3 KB
ID:	102369

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3118.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	816.4 KB
ID:	102370
                    Attached Files
                    Ed Bianchi
                    York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.
                      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by padirtfan View Post
                        I cleared out the infield on my 1/32 oval and set up a 2 lane Tyco oval. I bought some extra 15" straights to lengthen it out a bit. I found a circa 1977 G Plus car that I had in a box in addition to the Tyco stock cars form the set to start out and I have a Willys AW TJet on the way. I'll be checking in to see what's what from you experts as I've been out of HO for 40 years!

Rick
                        You should have FUN, there are lots of choices out there for different types of HO chassis to run. If you go with those TYCOPRO 9" radius High Banked Curves (doesn't sound like you will), that original G Pus car might bottom out. Have a blast, HO is cool on the ovals. Enjoy! -- Ernie

Comment

HO RacePro: Those winged Sprints are fantastic!

It looks like they are no longer available... (?)

Are they based off existing die cast toys?

How do they run?

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1