Thanks Roland, that is very helpful!

Regards, Lloyd.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    PU is PU.

BUT :

PU rubber is not PU rubber.

The difference lies in the adjusted basic degree of hardness ( shore ) and the final mixing ratio.

And not to forget - more than with all other tyre materials the final grip and performance of PU rubber tyres depends on the quality of trueing and shaping.

43rd scale slotcar modelling will remain a niche hobby nowadays, just like more or less all hobbies which base on manual craftsmanship.
    The signs of the times are virtual, not real.
    Buying and tuning is obviously the way to success, not DIY...

Working with chemical substances assumes a spray booth or a similar ventilation device. Working without such a device is a kind of conscious long - term suicide.

@Lloyd - The cutters I use are the cheapest available Chinese diamond tile cutters.

The centering holes for the rim (?) or hub (?) I cut with segments of an old broken telescopic truck antenna.
    Very thin tubings which are easily to be equipped with a sharp edge and teeth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diamant - Fliesenbohrer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	63290

Regards,

Roland

Last edited by walker; November 14, 2020, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Barc 1
    replied
    Like Roland and many others that post here, the issues of 1/43 have not stopped us from building whatever we want. There just aren’t many who WANT to go the route we have chosen.

My recent experiences in 1/32 proxy racing is teaching me the majority of people in that scale have little interest scratch building cars. The interest lies in tuning cars. I see the dollars being spent on a RTR chassis , motors and other upgrade parts. I think the same would hold true in 143, but we just don’t have the manufacturers who are thinking that way.

Luckily 3D printing has evolved and guys like Peter have the skills to design the chassis, but we are all vulnerable to Peters love of the hobby. If he ever loses his interest then will there be someone else who steps up and takes his place?

I am happy to hear SCX is back in this scale as their earlier chassis (IMO) was exactly what this scale needs. A tuneable plastic chassis with a rotating guide flag is what most people want to see. The market demand that is keeping 132 scale going should be copied in 143. Carrera is in a perfect position to set the wheels in motion on a GO! Pro line. They are the most successful manufacturer in 143, and have the infrastructure to do this right. I just wish they would give this scale an upgrade option . As it stands now, as soon as someone catches the slot car bug , most leave their 143 GO! behind and switch to 132 scale. A GO! Chassis with a guide flag and 3/32 axles would give us a building block that could see gears, tires and motors becoming available from 3 rd party sources. Without this I fear this scale will forever be a Christmas novelty that is put away by February.

Leave a comment:

• pfuetze
    replied
    one word about casting ... just my opinion ....
    casting materials are quite expensive.
    getting sent over from another country - not the easiest of jobs ...
    from all i read - the chance of blowing up the first tries is quite good.
    also using fluid chemicals - i simply do not like it.
    that´s why i am a mechinacal engineer and not a civil engineer (pouring fluids that will get rock hard - strange!)

there are some good sized tires available. Still i feel that i need other ones.
    And PU is not PU.
    Ortmann tires handle different from CarGo tires and also different from K&Ds.

I like the idea with the mat and the cutters, another way to spend some time to get a car done.

I think casting is not for everyone.

and tires are crucial for our little cars.

if i can print a mould for tires, yes, but the printing quality for the mould (at home) is not really sufficient. Sorry for this long rant.

Leave a comment:

• LloydL
    replied
    You have mentioned the cutters you use to make tyres before Roland, can you tell us more about them please?

Regards, Lloyd.

Leave a comment:

• dc6287
    replied
    Walker, i was thinking that was my best route, as luck would have it my wife is an art teacher so casting materials are easy to get in any quantity as is PU resin. Was just looking for a quick fix for the upcoming weekend.
    thanx for all the advice as always guys! hopefully see you in the next zoom session

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    I do not see THAT big problem with tyres.
    Over the last three decades PU has been proven as the optimum material.
    There are not hundreds of different producers of PU rubber resin, there are only hundreds of suppliers.
    It is not difficult to find out who produces the basic material and who distributes / sells it.
    Everyone can buy it, very often with some friendly words even in small test packages for the first experiments.
    It is no problem to copy existing tyres from RTR cars or make one´s own patterns.
    And last but not least - meanwhile there has been written and shown enough at Youtube and in various forums that actually everyone ought to be able to make his own ones.
    Of course the amount of casting material one normally has to buy is way too much for one person. But my experience is that there is always someone who shares the material and hence the costs with you.

I have a poured mat from PU rubber, ca. 18 x 18 " and 1" thick. From this I cut all my tyres myself. If I need narrow ones I get two or even three from one donut. If thicker, then at least two. But do we need 10+ mm wide tyres on 43rd scale race models ? Not really.
    So I always have tyres that match my needs in every respect, don´t need to make even the smallest compromise.

And last but not least - I see myself as a scratchbuilder and my pride is to make as much as I can myself.

Roland
    Last edited by walker; November 13, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LloydL
    replied
    WB2 Peter (pfuetze) has a huge range of 1/43 3DP chassis, wheels and other useful bits in his shapeways shop. Immense Miniatures also offer some adjustable 3DP 1/43 chassis in their Shapeways shop.

Also, checkout the 1/43 slot Car resource thread on here and other Slotcar forums.

Tyres are a problem that needs dealing with, I agree.

Regards, Lloyd

Leave a comment:

• WB2
    commented on 's reply
    SCX Compact has some nice Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes GT3 cars available. But no US suppliers that I know of.

• WB2
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, did I get lucky.
    When I had a flash of 1/43 fever, I purchased tires from Bruno, both 1/43 and HO. Sorry to here of his passing. I also
    found CarGo tires at BRS and bought all they had left (all for SCX cars as I recall).

Seems like the only people I’ve found in my area that are into 1/43 are kids that like the loops (I gave my two sets to them to expand their track). At one time Barnes and Noble, of all places, sold Go! sets. I bought my first two Go! sets at some Tuesday closeout store. For about two years Target sold SCX, sets and individual cars. Someone bought those. Probably tossed out or relegated to the closet.

As mentioned, someone, preferably not a cottage industry, needs to produce a nice chassis for 1/43. For a long time there were rumors of a 1/43 Slot.It but that never came to fruition. Still, one needs a ready supply of motors, axles, gears, wheels, etc. readily available without having to resort to multiple suppliers on eBay.
    1/43 resin kits are huge in Europe. It’s really surprising that scale never made it big in slot cars.
    All this has been hashed before....
    Last edited by WB2; November 12, 2020, 01:19 PM.

• pfuetze
    replied
    Carrera Go tires offer a decent amount of grip, they are quite good. They do not like dirt or dust on the track.
    same for stock SCX rubber.

btw, SCX compact is producing and selling new cars.
    Audi S1 in rally cross styling(?) - actually looking really nice.

there is a link in the ressource thread to the Ortmann tire list. In that list you can find which tire number fits which car.

Leave a comment:

• pfuetze
    commented on 's reply
    same what Dan wrote - a few years ago, Paul Gage has not been interested in making tires for 1/43rd cars.
    I will not ask again.

• Barc 1
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Aki

• taskak
    replied
    electricdreams.com got some Ortmann tires.
    I have used few eBay sellers from Germany.
    Check my #3 post on resource thread, I listed some tires there for flat rims.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Barc 1
    commented on 's reply
    I emailed Paul a couple of years ago about 143. He is too busy with 132 and just doesn’t have the time for 1/43.

The scale is so minor in NA and few people advance it past GO! and magnet racing.

This is one of those cases where you must have one to advance the other. There needs to be sufficient demand to make manufacturing tires a profitable enterprise. However in order to create demand you must have tires available!?

It is important to remember that GO! Is Carrera’s biggest seller. There might be a market for after tire wheels and tyres, but who steps up. I have been involved in cottage hobby industries in Trains and RC tanks, Frankly they are a labour of love and not worth the time. For someone in North America 1/43 is going to be a struggle. Carrera needs to slightly improve the GO cars. The scale needs a manufacturer who builds RTR cars with guide flags. No need to over engineer them like DSlot did. Just an SCX type chassis would help our cause..

GO! Pro. Just redesign the chassis to include a guide flag.Peters 3D chassis are a great example of what is needed at the Carrera level. If box kits came with tuneable RTR chassis, then it could evolve past the Christmas tree.
Working...
X
UA-149438709-1