H&R AMT Corvair 8 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&R AMT Corvair 8 Project

I’m a complete newbie in the slot car world, but a long time model builder. I thought it would be cool to make a static model into a slot car so I started this project a little while back. I’ve always been a Corvair fan so I thought I’d make this my first project. The car is built from an AMT/Ertl 1/25th scale Corvair kit set on an H&R chassis. I used the kit interior, but had to cut out the back seat to make room for the H&R Hawk motor. Back in the day, a company called Crown Engineering made a conversion kit to put a v8 in the back seat of the Corvair to make it a mid engined, independent suspension race car. Most conversions were for a small block Chevy, but a few big blocks were done. I’m a 348/409 Chevy fan also, so I took a motor out of an AMT 58 Chevy kit, cut the bottom end off, and set it in the back seat to cover the motor. I wanted to make the car in a rally theme so I added a driver and co-driver from Tamiya. This was also my first experiment with aluminum foil chrome on a model car. I love it. I’ll never hand paint chrome on a model again.

I originally just wanted to make the car run on a slot car track, but then I found Home Racing World and their proxy racing series. I found the 1/24 1/25 H&R classic chassis proxy race they held a couple years ago. I decided to build the car to those specs. The Corvair body was too narrow to fit the stock H&R wheels and tires so I purchased some CB Design wheels, Paul Gage tires, and a set of 1/24 scale CG SlotCars minilite inserts from Slotcar Corner to keep with that “trans am” car look from the 60’s and 70’s.

The car is heavy, partly from the full kit interior, but also the massive quantity of Shoe Goo I used to try and keep the car intact for a few runs around the track. I still have to finish the body mount and do fine tuning, but I’m happy to say I finally can see the finish line on this project.

I’ve become interested in the Proxy racing HRW hosts and for my next project, I’m hoping to build a 1/32 AMC Javelin for their Brass Am Proxy Challenge. I’ve already got the proxy kit from Slot Car Corner. I hope you enjoy the photos.
    Richard Trotter

That looks AWESOME! Very nicely done!
    Looking forward to seeing your future builds!

Comment

Man, that is great! I decided to stop doing 2 scales, but I have enough material left to build one to race yours, I think. I am inspired!

Comment

• RTrotter
        RTrotter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I'd love to see this thing run on a big track. I think it would be the proverbial "boat anchor" but fun to watch anyways. :-)

• Fathead59
        Fathead59 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey RT , you never know , it might not be a boat anchor at all . And with a little gearing and motor change you might have a winner there

Very nice build

Comment

You did a real nice job on that.
        Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
        Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

Sure did, that's sharp

Cheers,
          Paul

Comment

Nice project. In the late 60' s a friend of a friend built a flip-top 61 Corvair with a 409 in it. He took it up to Bunker Hill drag strip and lost to a Fairlane with a 390. So he went back to the drawing board and put a 396/375hp engine in it. He then got revenge on the Fairlane. the trick part of his Corvair was you sat in the back seat for the engine was located where the front seats normally were. It was also hard on the back of your head during shifts when your head hit the back window. It was quite the ride.

Comment

• RTrotter
              RTrotter commented
              Editing a comment
              Very cool. Sounds like a future drag car project. :-)

Digging it.
            Mark

Comment

Thumbs up on the creativity to build this as mid-engine runner!!

Paint combo is a bonus too!!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

Here is your engine sir, ready to install. LOL
                Nice job, corvairs are cool. A friend had one in HS. Good handling car considering it was from the 60's.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	95050

Comment

• RTrotter
                  RTrotter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do love the 348 and 409’s. Thanks for posting this “W” motor. She’s real fine! ;-)

Really nice - I can't figure out why none of the slot car manufacturers never made a Corvair.

Comment

• williamg
                  williamg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aurora did, they pop up on e-pay every so often. Most are a pale yellow color. For some reason they almost always seem to have warped or distorted roofs. Glue effect?

Ok , I looked around the forum and couldn't find a thread for this question , so if this isn't the right place please feel free to move it . Has anyone tried to reduce the weight of an H&R 1/24 scale chassis , as in , cutting sections out of it ?

Comment

I've taken some that had the side pans cut off and soldered .066 brass pans to each side, even with the bottom of the frame. That gives a lower cog and added weight down low. I've never intentionally cut any of them. For my track we usually add weight to make them handle better with the changes in track height.
                  Matt B
                  So. In
                  Crashers

Comment

• Fathead59
                    Fathead59 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh Matt , so you left the chassis alone and added weight to it ?

• mattb
                    mattb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We add weight to the top of the center section, some have weight added under the side pans, and some have thin lead under the center of the chassis. Guys all try different things. With a hot motor, 26k or more on my short track, there is enough elevation changes that it is easy to get airborne. The weight makes it a little easier to drive.

Racing Corvairs from the 70s

Click image for larger version

Name:	f48942e8954e63ecdc94df08cd0812ad.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	109717 Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_ma4p0rPvQ51r2dcdfo1_1280.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	109718
                  Kevan - Isle of Man
                  Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Excellent build! Thanks for the photos.
                    I used to deal with wheel and tire combos for Corvair (and many other) sports racers in the early Seventies, and you've definitely captured the spirit of those cars.
                    Again, very nicely done, and... Enjoy the racing! -- Ernie

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1