New to me 1/24 Monogram Ford GT Spyder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 1/24 Monogram Ford GT Spyder

I received a new slot toy in the mail yesterday. The seller had bagged up what had seemed at first glance to be a mixed and perhaps incomplete kit. I checked the near mint instruction sheet against the bagged parts and body. Color me surprised!!

Every part was there except a single 2-56 nut, one of the push-on spring washers for the drop arm, one pickup braid, and some of the 3 eared knock offs. All other chromed parts were there, including the period correct Halibrand inserts, but the windshield was broken cleanly in half, for which the seller offered a sizable refund.

The body looks like its original teenage buyer had painted it in the worst and cheapest color 1960s Pep Boys had for rattle can paint in the 60s (actually almost the same red shade rattle can paint my dad painted his 1953 Mercury sedan back in the summer of 1959), put the body aside to dry, and never completed the car assembly.

Despite the paint job, it is essentially a mint in box unassembled kit, never raced in anger or for fun....a virgin like my new Cox 2A. None of the axles spacers had even been removed from their sprue.

Now to strip that Gawd awful paint job.

I have yet another bucket list project in addition the the Chaparral project involving racing significant GT40s of which this one will be my first, though I will confess I already do have rare Mk 1 and Mk 2 plastic kits already en route from my go-to-guy in Japan. The aluminum wheels and accurate inserts will come in handy.

As received parts and all together after 55 years of careful storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02BD2CBE-5615-4FC8-AF83-CF9D9599EF80.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	25995

Name:	859BA333-A054-4DBB-9042-B98A6AE14D63.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	25996

I don't have the ford, but I did come across the 275. Click image for larger version

Name:	27912959_10214023177948093_8077333246203781809_o.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	25999

Comment

After stripping two layers of paint and sanding.

Can a polystyrene item be safely bleached without destroying it?

Name:	25AFEFCE-57E1-4612-9BE6-D72B8DEA4C19.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	26622

Comment

I wouldn't bleach it.....odd things happen and you end up with brittle honeycomb.
        a coat of light grey primer will give you a better base for white.
        Come Race at The Trace!
        Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Originally posted by chappyman66 View Post
          I wouldn't bleach it.....odd things happen and you end up with brittle honeycomb.
          a coat of light grey primer will give you a better base for white.
          Agree
          Bleach turns some plastics to a brittle mess, and once even heard it made an R/C model body honey comb like.

Comment

Well I guess priming and painting it is then...but only after I make a resin repop.

Comment

Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1