My First Slotfabrik C291

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Slotfabrik C291

Let me preface this thread with this: I've never seen a true racing 1:24 chassis with my own eyes and haven't been to a commercial track since I was about 8 years old. I don't "race" the cars I own - I buy them because I love the detail or the livery, and enjoy seeing them go around. Sometimes I add lights to it so my better half can enjoy them running under the street lights. With that said I enjoy seeing what others have created, and came upon Slotfabrik's website, found my absolute favorite car, and had to have one! Ok, enough talk, here's what it looks like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8544_A.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	128899 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8554_A.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	128900 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8555_A.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	128898 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8552_A.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	128901

I purchased this car way back in February and received it May, and just now I'm getting around to building it. First thing I noticed was how paper thin the body was.

Name:	IMG_9035.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	128903 Turns out I read Fola makes 2 kinds - a very thin Race version and a thicker Normal version. I seem to have the Race body. It seems extremely fragile so I decided to lay another layer of fiberglass cloth into it. Then I started cutting it out - front lights, wheel arches, rear lights and body, and ducts. There's still a lot more to do before I'm at the point I can call it ready for primer. Here's a couple pics so far...

Name:	IMG_9052.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	128904 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9036.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	128905 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9054.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	128906

Comment

The finish of the machined parts is incredible and the adjustments that are there is also pretty cool. Keep us updated on your build and results. I don’t own one but I LOVE their chassis.
      The Jester
      of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
      the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• Rleog
        Rleog commented
        Editing a comment
        These kits are truly works of art and the chassis design and precision of parts are incredible. Thanks for letting us in with your project. Keep us posted.

Well, what I thought would be a simple trim, sand and prime then paint has turned into about 5 days fiberglass work so far. Is it because I'm a perfectionist and want this body to be as near to a "Show Body" as I can get... you bet!

All of the time spent so far has been for detail. I took the excruciating time to cut the vents above the wheel wells. It really needed to be done! I also cut, shaped and fiberglass reinforced the ducts and vents. In fact, the first thing I did was put a layer of fiberglass inside the entire body. Motivation for all this added weight is so that IF this meets the floor or spins out and another car hits it, it's not destroyed and can withstand the beating. In its original state a drop from 6 inches would've cracked it.

So here you have it, where I'm at today with the fiberglass work. I realized the front floor (was it called the floor back then? or just the diffuser?) was missing off the nose of the car. I don't know if that's a mistake from trimming the body right out of the mold or not. Either way, the material that is there is laser thin!! I need to actually make the correct structure. I had some cut fiberglass from Airwolf that I sanded and am using to make the lip on the front nose.

Name:	IMG_9103.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	130122 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9102.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	130123

The lip will carry around to each wheel well, just like on my 1/5 scale below.

Name:	Front 2.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	130125 Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 1.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	130124

Another large chunk of time was spent to make the front wing something that can be used, again it was so thin if you squeezed it between your fingers too hard it would split! I filled it with epoxy and shaped it to fit the body. Its going to take some trial and error to figure out how much material I need to remove so that after paint it will fit perfectly...
      Fun stuff!!

Comment

Extraordinary. The skill level you have demonstrated is truly admirable. Makes what I do seem rather straightforward.

Jules

Comment

• dinglebery
          dinglebery commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Different angle to see the front wheel vents...

Name:	IMG_9104.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	130172

Comment

Stunning.
          Brad
          Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Update on the front end... fiberglass has been laid and tomorrow I'll be able to shape it.

Name:	IMG_9113.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	130269 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9110.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	130268 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9112.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	950.3 KB
ID:	130267

Comment

Completed the nose...

Name:	IMG_9117.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	130481 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9118.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	130482 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9119.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	130480

I think tomorrow it'll get the first coat of filler-primer. I'm getting excited!!

Comment

It turns out I'm not quite ready for primer just yet. I have some minor holes and scrapes to fill with epoxy, then some sanding and scribing - especially on the front wing. I cut and fit the windshield, door windows, headlight covers and interior. Progress!

Name:	IMG_9128.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	130678 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9123.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	130679

Comment

UPDATE: I'm just about ready for Primer!! The body fastening plates have been fiberglass cloth epoxied in place.

Name:	IMG_9158.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	131746

And the side skirt detail is complete.

Here's the first look of how it sits on the chassis...

Name:	IMG_9160.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	131749 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9164.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	131748 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9163.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	131747

Comment

Could you kindly post some pics of how you align the body/fastening plates, then attach them to the chassis.
                    Thanks.
                    Bob G. ..... Boston, North Shore

Comment

I don't have pics of the process, but I can describe how I went about making the body fit the chassis...

1 - With the fastening plates secured on the chassis, place the chassis on your level, straight, setup block
                      2 - Place the body over the chassis and be sure the body is over each fastening plate
                      I had to remove about 5mm of material on each front fastening plate, at the front, in order to get the desired fit
                      3 - Align the rear wheels in the center of the rear arches on the body - put a 1mm spacer between the top of each rear tire and the body
                      * - feel free to use whatever amount of space you want, this is the minimum amount of body height that can be obtained
                      4 - Adjust the front axle so the front wheels are centered in the front arches
                      5 - Put the same 1mm spacer on each front wheel to keep the front of the body from resting on the wheels
                      6 - Be sure each wheel is centered in its wheel well

At this point the body should be resting on its own, against each section of the fastening plates with the desired height above the tires.

7 - Start with one fastening plate location and put a dab of CA glue on the edge of the plate where it meets the body, and press the body to the fastening plate. You'll have time to correct geometry and be sure it's dry before doing the next location. Compete all 4 locations.
                      8 - Mix a batch of your preferred 2-part epoxy and cut your fiberglass cloth to size to place on the top and bottom of each of the 4 fastening point locations. Lay the cloth and let it cure a minimum of 12 hours, making sure you do not cover the 4 body screw fastening points
                      9 - Trim and clean up as desired

Comment

• Rleog
                        Rleog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Saved to notes.
                        Thanks very much for this.

Another update.

I'm finally finished with the rear end detail.

Name:	IMG_9182.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	132584 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9181.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	132585

Comment

The front end is complete, which makes the main body complete. Finally!!

The front wing with center support is a separate piece to be painted and then trimmed and glued in place. The center support is 1.5mm styrene that's been CA'd in place to the wing first, then fiberglass epoxied, and then contoured and shaped for the perfect fit.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	133114

During the work on the rear end, I noticed the body screws were starting to strip in the carbon fiber plates so I drilled and installed some inserts that I epoxied in place
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	133115

Here's another view through the front headlight
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9203.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	133113

Now I can honestly say it's ready for the first coat of Primer!!
                        The question is, should it be black or gray or white... I've ordered the Street Blisters 6049 paint for the Sauber C9 but it won't arrive until late December.
                        I'm thinking I'll put a couple coats of white on for now, filling all the little pinholes, sanding it smooth and making the body ready. Then I'll paint a test panel with each color of the primer. When the color arrives I'll paint the test panel and decide which hue looks best.

In the meantime I have to complete the rear wing, and paint the rear end details and part of the chassis.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1