Is this worth repairing? Strombecker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this worth repairing? Strombecker?

Hi, I’ve got this old chassis I think is Strombecker. The motor is missing its brushes and the rear axel mount is tweaked. Can the brushes be repaired or motor replaced? I know the guide can be replaced, the wheels and axels are good. What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6246FF64-6A1E-477A-BE03-50AF061E597E.jpeg
Views:	469
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	77783

Good for spares.
    Don't pitch 'em.
    Bet there's folks that could use them.
    Mark

Comment

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      I was hoping to get it running and use it myself.

• Silberpfeil
      Silberpfeil commented
      Editing a comment
      Think You've got good "bones" to start with. IMHO.
      I'd compare to a completed Chassis / Body and then decided.

Originally posted by Michael Squier View Post
    Hi, I’ve got this old chassis I think is Strombecker. The motor is missing its brushes and the rear axel mount is tweaked. Can the brushes be repaired or motor replaced? I know the guide can be replaced, the wheels and axels are good. What do you think?

Click image for larger version  Name:	6246FF64-6A1E-477A-BE03-50AF061E597E.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	201.9 KB ID:	77783

​​​​​​As well as motor brushes, you will need a magnet for your motor, and, it is hard to tell from the pic. what sort of shape the comm. is in. While motor brushes and magnets can be found on the auction sites, you may be better off to buy a new old stock motor . It will likely be cheaper as well, considering you may need to purchase your other bits from a couple of vendors.

Any of the following Strombecker motors will bolt right in to your front chassis piece.....Strombecker "Scuttler", "Avenger","Scorcher"........just make sure you buy one with the axle bracket attached (most did come that way).

These show up on the auction sites fairly regularly, (and are inexpensive) or , you can find a used one, also common on epay.

Is it worth it ?????.............if you will have fun restoring it, and watching it go round...Yes !!...........if you are building it with the hope of making a few bucks.....highly unlikely !!

Cheers
    Chris Walker
    Last edited by chrisguyw; January 26, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess I worded that wrong, I don’t mean worth it monetarily, worth it for the fun factor. From what you’ve said it sounds like I can find the needed motor and have a running chassis again. Thanks.

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      A quick search on epay and I found a few motors that will work. Thanks for reminding me epay has everything.

Yup, Chris is right.....plenty of options available as you have found. They are fun to drive, and generally pretty smooth.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
    https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Motors of that sort had Alnico magnets, they get demagnetized if they are removed from the motor without using a keeper. If you did replace the magnet you would want to get it zapped after the motor was assembled. It might be easier to find a complete Strombecker motor than just the brushes or magnet, you might try a search on ebay. I found a Scuttler for $10.

Comment

Update: I found and bought an unused motor off e bay. Any tips on swapping the pinion gear? I have plenty of full sized tools but no pinion gear pulling devices.

Comment

• PetesLightKits
          PetesLightKits commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are going to be doing more slot car stuff I highly recommend purchasing a dedicated gear puller and press. You don't want to try using regular tools you may just end up ruining the gear.

• Michael Squier
          Michael Squier commented
          Editing a comment
          I searched the internet for a puller and they all look like the won’t fit around the rear axel bracket on these motors. Can you guys suggest one that will ?

Originally posted by Michael Squier View Post
        Update: I found and bought an unused motor off e bay. Any tips on swapping the pinion gear? I have plenty of full sized tools but no pinion gear pulling devices.
        Hi Michael, You will need a pinion puller to do a proper job,...and , not destroy the pinion you have.

Many pinion pullers will not fit, but, if you look for a pinion puller like the one in the pic. below,...it will fit. That said, you will need to remove the rear axle,Crown gear, and, axle bushings to get the puller in there.

I have done this a few times on the Strombecker/Atlas etc. type motors , with this style of puller, without issue.

There are a few manufacturers making this style of puller ,.....Hudy, JK, Champion, Parma, American Line etc., to name a few,........these are all commercial grade pullers, and any will work just fine.

PCH Slot parts, carries the Hudy, JK, and, American line, and you will find this design of puller at most good slot shops.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Name:	HUDY-7000-02825-1483560188.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	78643

Comment

• Michael Squier
          Michael Squier commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I saw some like that and was wondering if they could get in there. It looked like it might. Thanks for helping. I can see how getting it off without the right tool would mess the gear up.

Hi Michael,..You do not really want to ruin the pinion, as the pinions for these motors have a .091 bore, which is a snick larger than the .078 bore pinions that are commonly used on more modern motors.

While they are certainly available, they are more difficult to find........

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Comment

• Michael Squier
          Michael Squier commented
          Editing a comment
          Puller is scheduled to arrive today. Along with tires for a couple other cars because you can’t just order one thing right?

A little update on my chassis. Got the pinion swapped, took a little fitting to get things lined up nicely but it’s looking more like a slot car chassis now. Next up, tires and fitting a guide. The rubber and is just holding the wires, didn’t want to break them off while assembling.

Name:	01992C90-5175-49C8-BD40-B9DD0F4DD76C.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	80897

Comment

• chrisguyw
          chrisguyw commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Michael, good to see that things are working out..!!,.......how is your stamped steel Crown meshing ??,.....these were either OK (at best), but, more often than not, not great.

If it is marginal, I would suggest replacing it with a "cast" metal gear, or a vintage Cox etc. Crown.

Classic slot car chassis - these are always cool.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

ran across this on $25 slot car sales. | Facebook

Name:	Screenshot (26).png
Views:	149
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	84204 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (27).png
Views:	137
Size:	776.3 KB
ID:	84205