Clear All

• Kickin' It Old School...

Just got a small box of stuff, including:

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5150

It doesn't get any simpler than this: the motor runs strong and smooth, and those tires look to be original and are in great condition, as is the entire model.

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	5148

My online research tells me that this is a fairly early release; I guess earlier cars had the long driveshaft. The little booklet that came with it is dated 1964, so I guess that's a start.

Now for a question; here's a couple of snaps of this next to a Carrera D type:

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	5149

Name:	unnamed-5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	5151

Dunno how well these show it, but the Strombecker car is marginally larger. The Strombecker is 5 3/16" in length, while the Carrera is 4 15/16". Width is 2 5/16" vs. 2 1/16". I would assume that the 2001 release Carrera is a more accurate 1/32, correct?

Also included in this lot is a mint-condition Strombecker power pack; I'll be curious to see if its 10V will help "tame" the ridiculous speeds of some of the modern Scalextric cars...as well as this Carrera.

Mark in Oregon
    Last edited by strummer57; November 6, 2019, 10:31 AM. Reason: Re-sending "lost" photos...

Not sure if everyone else is in the same boat, but, I can't see your pics.

If I remember correctly. the 10V Strombecker power supply was rated at just under 1 amp................so while 10 volts will "tame" the cars, ( many current proxy races for modern Scaley/Slot-it etc. motored cars are run at 10 volts), 1 amp(ish) may not be enough depending on the length of your track, and the condition of your track connectors.

So, make sure your connection are clean, and for any track with more than 20/30 sections it would be a good idea to add a couple of "jumpers".............the best idea would be to invest in (they are not all that expensive) a regulated variable voltage power supply with a bare minimum of 5amps......more is better. Lots of the "older" motors are much happier being allowed to feed on a few more amps

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
      Not sure if everyone else is in the same boat, but, I can't see your pics.
      Cheers
      Chris Walker
      That's weird: Yesterday, when I posted this, I could see the photos; now I can't either.

I thought this new forum was supposed to make things like posting pictures easier...even though I never had any issues with that on the old one.

Mark in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by strummer57 View Post
        Just got a small box of stuff, including:

My online research tells me that this is a fairly early release; I guess earlier cars had the long driveshaft. The little booklet that came with it is dated 1964, so I guess that's a start.

Now for a question; here's a couple of snaps of this next to a Carrera D type:
        Strombecker car is marginally larger. The Strombecker is 5 3/16" in length, while the Carrera is 4 15/16". Width is 2 5/16" vs. 2 1/16". I would assume that the 2001 release Carrera is a more accurate 1/32, correct?

Also included in this lot is a mint-condition Strombecker power pack; I'll be curious to see if its 10V will help "tame" the ridiculous speeds of some of the modern Scalextric cars...as well as this Carrera.

Mark in Oregon
        I have a few strommy testarosa's and a D-Type
        I also have a scalextric D-type and it much smaller than the strommy.

my ninco testarosa is close in size to the strommy testarosa

Yes, early releases had a deeper cockpit with more complete driver figure and used the long shaft motor
        Later releases the driver is molded into the body and they used the same type motor but a shorter shaft

Yoou can put an early chassis in a ewer car, but not the other way around.
        Also, reproduction tires are available on ebay

Comment

Thank you William.

Mark in Oregon

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1