1/32 Atlas Ferrari 158

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/32 Atlas Ferrari 158

Just blogged this at another site but thought its been a while and you guys might like this.

Atlas was known for its HO products but also produced some 1/32 scale cars. Two examples which I am happy to posses now are the Brabham BT 3 and Ferrari 158. This ad is from Model Car and Track Vol.2 Issue 12. The Ferrari was an eBay purchase that is identical to the car I raced at home as a young teen in the sixties.

The offerings are not as detailed as the Monogram offerings of the time but still quite attractive in their rugged simplicity.

My purchase was very reasonable as it was less than half that of previous offerings .Though the US Postal service had the parcel at our Canadian customs in about a week and a half and Canadian customs cleared it in a week, the rest of the near two month journey was due to Canada Poste being overwhelmed during the pandemic crises.

Car was a in great shape for its over 55year age.I cleaned it up and decided not to paint the body as it was the slightly off red colour of its production. Added fresh decals and a coat of Future clear acrylic floor polish for that extra pop.The engine detail was all clear plastic so I used a thin brush and Tamiya aluminium to detail inside the little holes from beneath the intakes and painted the detail behind the roll bar, which is a bit of paper clip. Windscreen was cracked on left side but hardly noticeable after interior and driver painted. Driver’s head was the tiny Atlas offering so that was switched out for a D’Art driver head. The tail pipes and transmission detail was painted aluminium and black, for a better presentation than the chrome original. One mirror was missing (gasp) after after half a century so they were replaced with appropriate D’Art castings.

It’s the chassis and open frame motor that is a thing of beauty. Atlas had these screw in brush holders on either side of the commutator that contain little springs to press the carbon brushes nicely against the commutator. And the rear axle sits in brass bushings that slide into the solid frame provided by the motor. The piece de resistance are the bevelled brass gears. So quiet and smooth, making just the right mechanical sush sound. The wheels are screw type on 1/8 axles common to the era. I think the wheels at the rear may have originally been a bit wider but no mind as I put EJ’s front rubber on and my own casting tires on the rear. Car runs beautifully, still strong motor magnet after decades. Lucky!

The Ferrari and Brabham which I wrote about a few years back make lovely running mates.

And here are my pride and joy of the sixties, the two Atlas F1 cars and the two Monogram F1 cars of the era. They are indeed different approaches that indicate the technology of the times.

Good day, eh!

That's an incredible piece you have there. The others are just as stunning. Thank you for sharing

Comment

You addressed what was on my mind when you said the cars run well and are good running mates. I had pretty much all Strombecker cars back then, ones that caem in the Christmas sets I got or ordered through the Montgomery Wards Wish book. The type of motors were the same, but I never had any F1 or Indy type open wheeled cars.

These cars look fun and since you have several can compete against each other.

Comment

While the Atlas cars were faster than the Monogram cars out of the box, the Monogram cars were MUCH better detailed and handled pretty well. Our club raced this class a few years ago and the Monogram cars held their own against the Atlas cars but couldn't beat them on a regular basis. I have 2 of the Atlas Brabhams and 4 each of the Monogram Lotus' and Ferraris. I run them a lot and prefer the Monogram ones but I get the Atlas cars out and stretch their legs too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	98453758_2963312973784148_1380849779713507328_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=AYzEqRma6BoAX8AcFr3&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-1.fna&oh=e51bffa08a50d0eaba198494991dae96&oe=5EF97398.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	39338
        I lost a lap, can I have one of yours?

Comment

nice find! i have one too but it's pretty rough.

Comment

Thanks for showing these, guys. I haven't seen any of those since 1966! Those old Pittman motors were their own traction weight. There were a pair of brothers in London, Ontario where I lived as an early teenager, who built a fantastic track in the basement, and had loads of these F-1 cars. Putting my eye right at track level and watching them fly by is one of my best slot car memories.

Comment

And nice track scenery!

Comment

Very nice cars and track. Very nice.
                Matt B
                So. In
                Crashers

Comment

Thanks guys
                  I lost a lap, can I have one of yours?

Comment

Very nice Marek. I hope all is well in Cornhole! You forgot to mention how much Crown Royal was used during the refurbishment.

Peter
                    PetesLightKits

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1