Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strombecker 1/24 Chaparral with a EJ Hobbies brsass chassis - vintage enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strombecker 1/24 Chaparral with a EJ Hobbies brsass chassis - vintage enough?

When I was a kid (wife says I still am), our little town in Kailua, Oahu briefly had a shop with 3-4 huge multiple commercial tracks.

My home set 1/32 Strombecker cars were laughed off the track, and those super fast "Thingies" that barely looked like cars were all the rage. Never liked those very much and stuck with my home track. In a couple of years the slot car "fad" faded away and I moved on as well.

As the shop was closing I did buy a 1/32 Cox Ford GT40 kit with magnesium chassis - never assembled it, and like all my slot stuff was it was gone when I moved away from home.

When the slot car bug bit again in the early 2000ʻs these kits caught my eye. Out from storage, finishing it is now on my to-do list. I have EJʻs Lotus 30 and Cheetah kits as well.

Did Strombecker originally sell these as complete cars or kits and if so what did the original chassis look like?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.5 KB ID:	156868

The home set cars were assembled but they had the stamped aluminum chassis
    Your kit is the same car but has a MUCH better chassis ( I think the kit cars were considered the race version versus the set car )
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

The Club I am in, we run 1/32nd Vintage slot cars. A couple years ago we tried 1/24th Vintage cars. This is a 1/24th Cheetah with the Strombecker chassis. The second chassis is the home set chassis. When I bought this car, I received a note from the buyer that the Cheetah was from an original member of the crew that built the Original Cheetahs. I stretched the chassis in the picture to show it like the above picture. To fit this chassis under the Cheetah it will be as short is the chassis adjustments allow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220403_104559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	156873 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220403_103906.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	156874 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220403_103918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	156875 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220403_103944.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	156876 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220403_103934.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	156877

Jim W
      Denver, CO, area

Last edited by jaws; April 3, 2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• jaws
        jaws commented
        Editing a comment
        In our Vintage Club we do use EJ's products such as his reproduction chassis. When we use the reproduction chassis, that car must use an original body to make our class rules.

Jim W

Yes, there were kits as well as RTR for 1/32 cars. The chassis varied between plastic, stamped 2pc aluminum, and the competition brass variety which were pretty good.
      The EJs kits are body shells but that chassis is closer to a Monogram or Hawk 2pc chassis.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
      https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Originally posted by asmith View Post
        When I was a kid (wife says I still am), our little town in Kailua, Oahu briefly had a shop with 3-4 huge multiple commercial tracks.

My home set 1/32 Strombecker cars were laughed off the track, and those super fast "Thingies" that barely looked like cars were all the rage. Never liked those very much and stuck with my home track. In a couple of years the slot car "fad" faded away and I moved on as well.

As the shop was closing I did buy a 1/32 Cox Ford GT40 kit with magnesium chassis - never assembled it, and like all my slot stuff was it was gone when I moved away from home.

When the slot car bug bit again in the early 2000ʻs these kits caught my eye. Out from storage, finishing it is now on my to-do list. I have EJʻs Lotus 30 and Cheetah kits as well.

Did Strombecker originally sell these as complete cars or kits and if so what did the original chassis look like?

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_7316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.5 KB ID:	156868
        I believe that is a repop chassis EJ made for his kits. That’s also not a Strombecker motor. The better Strombecker 1/24 cars had black anodized adjustable chassis and a 36d size motor. Standard with blue end bell, the red end bell was the ‘hemi.’

Ther was a cheaper version with a stamped metal and plastic chassis, mounted to the body with blue push in ‘rivets.’

Ed bought a bunch of NOS Strombecker body kits he found and made these kits with his repop chassis that was similar to both Strombecker and Monogram chassis.

Comment

Hello asmith, ......your kit was produced a dozen or so years ago by Ed Sourbeck at EJs' Hobbies. While it did use the original Strombecker Chaparral body (Ed apparently found a bunch in a warehouse) it does use a repop brass chassis. The originals (depending on the year/model) came with either a brass or anodised aluminum chassis, and, were both much stiffer than the EJs' repop. A Plafit "Fox" motor, along with other bits (wheels/tires/gears) that Ed had in his shop completed the running gear .......so, body, original, running gear, not so much.

He did repop the chassis out of some rather thin gauge brass, (much thinner than the original) and it is a bit on the flimsy side,......stiff enough for your "Fox" motor, but a bit flexible for the "TC24" 36D sized motor that originally came with these.

The Strombecker 1/24th kits came out in 1966(ish) , and included.......Chaparral, Lotus 30, Ferrari 365, Cheetah, and a Porsche Carrera 6,.........

Cheers
          Chris Walker

A pic. of a 1/24 Lotus 30 kit.............this one with the anodized alu. chassis

Click image for larger version  Name:	0002087952.jpg Views:	6 Size:	321.0 KB ID:	156884

And a 1/24 Cheetah with the brass chassis

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	318.6 KB ID:	156898
          Last edited by chrisguyw; April 3, 2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• BIG E
            BIG E commented
            Editing a comment
            Just like the green Lotus on the shelf in my collection! I sold the blue Cheetah at a slot show many years ago, got really good money for the NOS unbuilt kit out of my collection. If it was molded in red I may have kept them both, but I already had the 1/24 COX Cheetah in red, NOS factory assembled. I decided to keep the Lotus 30 as the sole Strombecker kit in my collection, because it represents the car driven by one of my all time favorite drivers, Jim Clark.
            Thanks for the photos, and... Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)

Thanks everyone!

Chrisguyw - guessing those kits are in your collection - very nice! Love that retail blister packing. My EJs are in a small box with all the parts zip locked.

I did run the Chaparral - the motor is slow and the tires skinny...

Not too much into collecting and theyʻre not originals, so I plan to build my kits - but likely upgrade the motor, wheels, tires, and add lighting.

Gotta find a good source of thin decals - Iʻve made some before but they are too thick to look good and of course no white.

Alan

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7319.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	156902

Last edited by asmith; April 3, 2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Alan, Neither of the above kits are in my collection,..............I stole these pics. from Google Images.

While today I do appreciate some of the Strombecker bodies, and have built a few for myself, I have built my own chassis, which tend to run better than the originals. At the time of their introduction, I was running on commercial tracks and the performance of the "Strommies" was less than awe inspiring and I (like many) looked to other brands or scrathbuilds.

As far as decals, "Pattos Place" make some very decent decals for all of the models of the Strombecker cars.

Cheers
            Chris Walker

PS A couple of my rebuilt "Strommies"..............most of these are using "Pattos Place" decals

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-47-copy.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	156922

Name:	2004-01-01-00-00-00-67-copy.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	156923

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-44-copy.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	156924

Name:	DSCN4614.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	156925

And the chassis under the McLaren above.

Name:	DSCN4575.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	156926

Comment

• 2cool
              2cool commented
              Editing a comment
              beyond beautiful!

Not much to say after seeing Chris' builds is there?

Further note on the EJ's kits produced around 20-25 years ago.

About 30 years ago another slot trading friend offered to connect me with a guy he knew in Sweden/Denmark/Norway that had found a cache of NOS Strombecker parts in a warehouse. The stuff had sat there since the late 60's. Details are foggy, but I think it was 10-12 pallets of stuff. Obviously there was no way a working man with kids(and wife) could swing a deal like that. I referred it to Ed. He got together with Steve Daro (S&B Colletables) and they bought it, had it shipped to America and trucked to Michigan. Once there, Ed got a forklift and they unloaded those pallets into his yard.

Among all that stuff were tons of 1/24 bodies, More Chaps than anything. Some of the 1/32 Brawner Hawk and Lotus 38 bodies. Chrome for the 6 in 1 Indy car. Plenty of 1/32 Ferrari 275 bodies without trim. I supplied a NOS windshield for the mold to make that kit. Many of the open frame motors and Skuttler style chassis that he sold for years. That is how ED got the parts to put together all those kits back then. Why he had wheels and frames made.

mb
            Last edited by mattb; April 4, 2022, 07:58 AM.
            Matt B
            So. In
            Crashers

Comment

Three original unmolested 1/24 scale Strombeckers Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_115719~2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1,014.0 KB
ID:	156991

Comment

I never had any 1:24 scale cars but my home racing life revolved around Strombecker 1:32 scale cars, mostly from sets I got for Christmas but also from others ordered from the Montgomery Wards catalog. The only car I had that was respectable on a commercial track was a Cox 1:32 Ford GT, not for racing but okay for running laps. When I look at the cars above I remember how much I enjoyed running laps with them on my home track even though they were poor performers compared to average cars I have now (stock Scalextric, Fly, MRRC, etc.).

Comment

Thanks to all, this has been a FUN thread, guys. -- Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by asmith View Post
                    My home set 1/32 Strombecker cars were laughed off the track
                    Same thing happened to me. My little Strombeckers made it maybe half way around the bank, then slid down into the inside wall.

Comment

In my mind - Strombecker cars still rule the track!

B/W memories courtesy Kodak Instamatic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Childhood Slots.jpg Views:	0 Size:	243.6 KB ID:	158168

Last edited by asmith; April 12, 2022, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Just for nostalgia sake, a few more restored Strombeckers (1/32)

Cheers
                        Chris Walker

The Lotus X1X as in the above Black and White pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2009-10-02-13-18-09-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.4 KB ID:	158888

The Porsche RS 60,...also from the above Black/White pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-61-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.1 KB ID:	158889

The McKee Mk10............

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-60-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.7 KB ID:	158890

Ferrari 265......

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-50-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.0 KB ID:	158891

Cheetah..........

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-56-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.3 KB ID:	158892

Comment

• 2cool
                          2cool commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Some vintage Strom's in my corral as well.....Nothing as beautiful as yours....amazing work Chris!!
                          Ed
                      Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1