69 ELDON International 500 or Sears Bi-Level Rally Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 ELDON International 500 or Sears Bi-Level Rally Race

Picked this up at a local antique/flea market a couple of days ago.This is one of Eldon's biggest sets.Listed in the 69 Sears catalog for $24.99.
    A set I always wanted to try out due to some of the later versions of the track.
    It has a banked curve along with some 12 inch straights instead of the regular 6 inch straight.
    This set,along with the box looks almost new. Very little wear.I installed new braids,Smiling' Rays new rear tires,did a little tuning,
    and away we went.The cars run decent even on the small 6 volt transformer.
    We will use an adjustable power supply and some Parma controllers.
    Just had to try out the system as it came.. The layout is interesting and fun to run on..
    Cool how something of this age can put a big old Grin on your face..
    Even our newer cars run well on this ol' system.The banked curve and longer straights really add to the smoother service..
    Added a few pictures of the rest of the layout as it is today....may change tomorrow.........
    Rusty
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02584.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	126683

Name:	DSC02589.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	126684

Name:	DSC02590.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	126685

Name:	DSC02586.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	126686

Name:	DSC02587.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	126687

Name:	DSC02591.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	126688

Name:	DSC02592.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	126689
    Rusty
    Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Nice score Rusty. Looks to be in awesome condition. This old stuff is sure getting pricey in some circles.

Randy
    Randy C
    Grindrod B.C.
    Canada

Comment

Thanks Randy.Yes sir it is getting a little crazy on the bay...
      Rusty

Comment

Looks like a nice clean set. Eldon has always been one of the poor boys of race sets, along with Strombecker. I think they are a little better than Strom, particularly the cars. The Eldon motors in those cars are 6 volt, so at 6 volts they run fine. Today a bunch of clean Eldon track is a reasonable way to build a track. They do have outside curves, which would work for 4 lanes.

You did good.
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

That's a nice a score, especially with the cars. They look quite plain but with paint and some details they are not terrible looking.

Should be fun!
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
          https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Thanks Guys,it is fun!
            Rusty

Comment

Bought that very set from Sears when I was around 12. It was a significant upgrade from my Eldon figure 8 I got when I was 6.

The layout shown on the box fit on 4x8 plywood atop our pool table. Couldn't guess the number of laps I made with that configuration. The banked turn was awesome!

I know, quality wasn't the greatest. Car detail was minimal and the clickity clack never went away. And I wish I knew how to wire jumper connections into the anemic transformer back then. But I still spent many enjoyable hours racing with friends/cousins on that track.

Great find.

Comment

I had those same 2 cars as later additions to the Eldon Thrill Drivers set we got one Christmas (around 1966). My cars were different colours: red Ferrari and grey/silver Porsche. I remember thinking they were great lookin cars. When I see them today, they look very basic compared to today's models! Thanks for sharing.
                Ralph
                Toronto, Ontario
                Canada

Comment

Wonderful set, Rusty!

Vintage home sets have a panache all their own!

Andre
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

Very cool that you found that set in such good condition. I wish some company would re-release some of the desirable race sets of the past.
                    BRS Hobbies - Online shopping for slot cars in all scales, RC crawlers & more!

Comment

Those cars can be detailed out very nice. Give it a shot and see how good you can make them look.

I think you need a double deck table.
                      Matt B
                      So. In
                      Crashers

Comment

Cool deal guys!Glad ya'll are enjoying the memories!
                        Rusty

Comment

Great looking old set Rusty! Vintage fun!

Comment

Isn't it a blast to find something complete like that and set it up as intended with all the original equipment that came in the box? Of course, rear tires, braid, and lubrication come immediately after set up, but what a BUZZ you get from a little time travel with the proper knowledge to get everything up and running! Thanks for the photos, and please... ENJOY!! -- Ernie

Comment

That is VERY cool. I had a lot of run time with those 1/32 Eldon cars - lot of great memories and fun!
                              Great to see!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1