A Weekend At The Tracks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Weekend At The Tracks...

I've managed to have several days running and racing! (Still taking place off/on as I type! However, I'll need to clear the dining table by supper.) This thread will be pics n' lots of drivel of how I tend to enjoy my vintage hobby. Those more seriously minded need not read any further.

The preliminaries:

Early in the week, I received both my box of Strombecker and my box of Scalextric Sport I had been anxiously awaiting. That evening I set up a Scalextric Sport over/under figure 8 (then later an oval) and began to learn the pros/cons of the Scalextric Sport track system. By Thursday afternoon, I had my track stacks of Strombecker track all cleaned up, Not being the patient type, I immediately threw the old blanket-turned-moving-pad-turned-track-pad onto the dining room table, and set up a time-honored Figure 8 so I could indulge my current slotting fever. So far, a Strombecker track has occupied the dining table since, and looks like it will continue to do so until just before supper today! (I have an understanding wife. Well, taking her to dine out two evenings in a row didn't hurt!) It's been fun to pass by, sit down, and run some cars for a spell before heading off to other callings. Enough intro... let's go to the track!

(NOTE: All incident pics are actual with the car involved left it the position it stopped. I would then stage the pictured race circuit traffic/etc.)

A good gathering of cars all ready for a day of speed n' sport at a very popular racing venue!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.3 KB ID:	118857

Once the track opened for practice, soon the cars were circulating around the track smartly. However, it wasn't long until the incidents began. Here we see the results of this Testa Rosa driver being a wee bit too enthusiastic in the downhill turn!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.2 KB ID:	118858

Once again one of the D-Jag 's proved to be very fast, and was no doubt going to be a very formidable competitor. However, this Jag's power proved too much and the driver almost plunged it into the abyss that's nearby!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.8 KB ID:	118859

And here we see the mechanic having a "spirited" educational conversation with the very fortunate driver of the hapless Jag!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	118860

With the previous incident being well away from the track, practice was allowed to resume as those concerned with the wrong side up Jag attended to their issue. Soon, though, yet another Jag driver found himself in a predicament! Aside from a few scratches on his brand new helmet, he got out Scott free! By this time, I'm sure the Corvette driver, having witnessed from immediately behind, was beginning to wonder what he had gotten himself into as he came sliding through, wrestling his 'Vette past the incident!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	118861

I would say this DB3 driver is having a bit of a bother! This would prove to be a very busy afternoon for this DB3 driver AND the track workers! As was the case with the Corvette driver, no doubt the passing Testa Rosa drivers is inwardly doubting the sanity of his decision to attend the practice session today! Looks like these drivers need LOTS of practice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.0 KB ID:	118862

Moments after being extracted from his first embarrassment, somehow the very same DB3 driver managed to leave the track at speed and ended up on top of the Jag that was still on its bonnet! Thankfully the crew that had been standing alongside the topsy-turvy Jag determining how to proceed righting it, had made their way to the refreshments stand to have a spot of tea. Imagine their surprise to return to find this scene!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.8 KB ID:	118863

The wild and frightful day for the DB3 driver continued. This is as close as you can come to plunging into the abyss below! As the DB3 driver appears to be sitting rigid and frozen in fear, no doubt his team mate is offering sage words of wisdom concerning the DB3 driver's approach to driving! Is this what one could call a "teachable moment"?

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	118864

To be continued....
    Last edited by LAMing; September 6, 2021, 12:56 PM.
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Weekend At The Tracks continued...

Apparently not be outdone, the fellow drivng the RS61 decided to pitch his hat into the "Crash Hard and Crash Often" ring! The driver of the Lotus 19 barely got stopped before giving the upside down RS61 a slight shunt!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	118870

Almost as if an encore, the same RS61 driver managed another topsy-turvy excursion in yet a different curve as the field safely comes to a stop for the completely blocked course. As was the case all day, he only suffered injury to his pride along with a bit of sheet metal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.1 KB ID:	118871

Perhaps the DB3 driver took the RS61's shenanigans as a challenge accepted, for soon our intrepid DB3 driver managed to knock down the pit fence (barely missing the cars) and ended up on his noggin'! Here the DB3's Chief Mechanic is throwing his hands up in despair at the antics of the team's driver.

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.9 KB ID:	118872

Un-flapped at the rousing tongue lashing he'd received from the Chief Mechanic, is was as if Mr. DB3 proceeded to attempt a better effort at causing havoc, and did indeed succeed in demolishing the hastily repaired pit fence... again ending up on his bonnet!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.4 KB ID:	118873

By this time, the day was turning into some type of crash "derby" where it seemed all the drivers wanted in on the action, for it was but a few minutes later that a Jag driver came sliding on his top along the track, again destroying the repaired pit fence!

Click image for larger version  Name:	090221_12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.9 KB ID:	118874

Shortly after the above incident, the day's festivities concluded, and the teams loaded up and headed for the next track for another go.

(To be continued!)
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Comment

Oh lands, I have way too much fun with this old stuff. Ah well, I guess it doesn't take much to entertain me. Taking a short break from the posting up my running/play racing antics to show a couple of tracks that I came up with for Strombecker track.

First, is a condensed "micro" version of the small track found in the 1963 Strombecker Handbook by the name of "Hawaii". (Found in the digitized version of the '63 Handbook on page 25 .) Here's my "Micro Hawaii" version:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hawaii_Micro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.1 KB ID:	118881

(BTW: Note that in view of the "near misses" of having cars leaving the table, I have devised ways of using the packing blanket to become "catch fences" as it were.)

The above "Micro Hawaii" track was "successful" in that it does fit the table, and it does offer a significantly different feel than the time-honored figure 8. However, the esses proved too slow and tedious to navigate at this point in my re-entry to slotting.

So I came up with this simplified version of the above circuit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hawaii_Micro_Simplified.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.5 KB ID:	118882

The above simplified version proved to be a winner, and I've been enjoying running on it ever since. It has a nice "rhythm" to it and a good feel. It's easier for me to consistently turn faster laps than the version with the esses, and as an added bonus has a totally different feel than a basic over/under figure 8.

Speaking of running/etc. I've often read how "thumb bombs" are disliked, and often read the phrase "the thumb is stronger, but the forefinger is faster". There's probably truth to that, but here's a very simple fix:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TriggerFinger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	118883

By simply flipping in around in my hand, my red Strombecker "thumb bomb's" now become trigger controllers. Either way (thumb or forefinger) works for me, but I've discovered that I tend to use it as pictured as opposed to using my thumb.

Later, mood inclining, I will continue with my "Weekend At The Tracks" posting.

All fer now!

Andre
      Andre Ming
      Poteau, OK

Comment

Great fun!!!Those Carrera classic cars will run much better with a milder motor in them..Ask me how I know...
        Rusty
        Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Rusty:

No doubt you are correct. Instead of replacing motors, I'm thinking in terms of the Policar variable power pack w/adapters for my systems. (Or make my own variable box using a house hold dimmer switch.) That way I can run one pack and use the settings as needed for the various "classes" of cars. Would seem to me that for the cost of one or two re-motors, I can have a system that can be adjusted as needed. Eventually, there will be more Strombecker cars, some vintage Scalextric, some more Carrera "Classics", and perhaps even some Scalextric "Classics", and ??. A variable output pack (or inline adjuster) will (hopefully) allow me to have a volt selection that will make all the classes of cars happy. We'll see!

This n' That:

* I do note that the modern higher detailed cars have fragile details that will break off under even play-racing conditions. Me thinks they were conceived by the mfg'ers to be primarily Shelf Queens. Doesn't everybody run their cars?

* The Carrera D-Jag and the MRRC 275P are dead even in a drag race, but the 275P is much easier to handle. It really is fun to zip the P around the track.

* Surprisingly, in spite of it's severely truncated guide, I've come to like the DB3. Yes, given its shallow guide, it's quite tricky, but that long wheelbase makes it stable in curves and a hoot to drift through the corners. (When it stays in the slot! I need to go ahead and get a new guide for it.)

* Speaking of Carrera and guides: The D-Jag's guide bottoms in the Strombecker slot. Yup, it bottoms out to the point the front wheels barely touch the track. In fact, with the car fully in the slot, I can rock the front end of the D-Jag side to side and you can feel the guide being the pivot point! Seeing as guides for the Carrera "Classics" are available, I didn't have a problem trimming, and filing smooth, the guide until it just cleared the bottom of the slot. (And the car now won't rock side to side when tried.) It helped... "some"... but with that narrow width and short wheelbase, at 14 volts on a short track, this car will always be a handful.

All fer now!

Watching some old racing vids on YouTube. Who knows? I may actually work up the gumption to post the rest of my "track report" tonight? Hey, stranger things have happened!

Andre
          Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

You would be surprised at how durable those modern highly detailed cars are. About the only things I break are mirrors and these cars endure some pretty high-impact crashes into solid walls. I don't know what kind of plastic they use but it is extremely thin and light and very strong. I occasionally knock a wing off, but that is easily glued back on.

Comment

And so I conclude my "A Weekend At The Tracks" postings with this final installment...

This pic didn't get processed in time to be posted with the previous day's festivities, so it will be shared here. That so, last but not least, our fearless (and reckless) DB4 driver again managed to drive off the upper portion of the raceway and landed near the pits again, on his side this time, knocking down the fence yet again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	090221_13.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	119009

The next day found the field of drivers anxious to get started at the next track.

Name:	Hawaii_Micro_Simplified.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	119010

Here we can vividly see the heft of the D-Jag as it's being slung through the curve...

Name:	090421_1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	119011

The photographer held his post to record this Corvette also careening through the curve...

Name:	090421_2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	119012

Lastly, this Testa Rosa driver is really wrestling with centrifugal force as he pitches his Ferrari into the curve!

Name:	090421_3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	119013

(Note to the above 3 pics: I would notice that sometimes in an incident, the D-Jag's frame would pop out on one side, giving the entire body a "leaning" look. Then it dawned on me that it might be fun to pose them that way in a curve! So I did and the above three pics are the result. We now continue...)

The action was hot and heavy as the Jag and the Testa Rosa went at it...

Name:	090421_4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	119014

Name:	090421_6.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	119015

Name:	090421_7.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	119016

The "piece de resistance" was administered by the Testa Rosa driver. On a daring move to overtake the Jag, the attempt went awry and the Testa Rosa shot off the upper level and ended up on its top in the ravine! As had been the case all weekend, the fortunate driver crawled out from under his overturned beast with nary a scratch!

Name:	090421_8.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	119017

And so my "Weekend At The Tracks" came to a close, and I dismantled the track, and packed everything into its place for a later time.

Now it's time to find some more cars n' stuff and get the cars ready for the track!

Andre

Andre Ming
              Poteau, OK

Comment

Enjoying this..Keep having fun!
                Rusty
                Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Thanks Rusty for saying so.

"Keep having fun"...

I do intend to keep slots in my hobby repertoire this time around. (No more "sell-outs/quitting business" sales!!)

I expect it to be as my other interests: Eb and flow. That is, there will come a time that it will be weeks/months inactivity as I busy myself with one of my other interests. However, that's the way I am. It's a given that the urge for slots has been resident within me for a long time, so this time when my urge for slots returns, I'll have the means to return it!

All fer now. Off to church to assist in the music! (I'm their bassist.)

Andre
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1