New Tire Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tire Quest

Okay, so my first vintage set has arrived. As expected, I need new tires for the cars.

This set contains the Strombecker Lotus 19 and Porsche RS61. The cars are stock and have the stock tires/wheels thereon. The wheels have the raised ridge around the circumference of the wheel. I can take photos if needed.

My second Strombecker set that's on the way will have the D-Jag and Testa Rosa. According to the pictures, these will have the wheels with NO ridge.

I really don't know what sets of tires I need for any of my cars from either Paul Gage or Smilin' Ray's for my current batch of Strombeckers as well as the incoming Strombeckers.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andre

Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

These are available on Paul Gage's ebay site. That should mean either SCC or LEB can get them too and ship for less.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	115291

Comment

Think those will fit under fender wells of the Lotus 19? They appear to be quite a bit wider than the stock tires. The tires have to be skinny enough to fit inside the fender wells of the Lotus.

Name:	Cars3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	115298

Here's a side view showing the fender wells the tires will have to fit within:

Name:	Lotus1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	115299

This is why I haven't made a move on my own: Don't want to purchase $20+ worth of tires only to find they won't fit.

I'm hoping one of the tire suppliers actually have tires that have the same dimensions as the originals.

Andre
      Andre Ming
      Poteau, OK

Comment

Okay, what about the ST79R tires found on this page?

https://smilinrays.webs.com/tires.htm

Scroll down toward about halfway on the page to find the ST79R.

When I'm out in my hobby building in the morning, I'll use my calipers to measure the stock tires that's on the Lotus and Porsche... but I may have found a "good enough" match?

Andre
        Andre Ming
        Poteau, OK

Comment

They'll fit, I've replaced many. If in doubt measure your rims with a pair of calipers and order off the chart, Measure all the points on the diagram.

My set came with a bunch of bodies and chassis parts. after market chassis are available and can make them run better/smoother than they ever did when new.

BTW I got the same Porsche, Lotus set for Christmas 1969.

Name:	143438393_10222467378407827_2840209732709010465_o.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	115313

Comment

Mitch58:

Thanks for the confiirmation. I'm going to email Smilin' Ray as soon as I'm done here and inquire about ordering several pair.

By the way: Really like the stance of your Testa Rosa! However, I'll bet that's an aftermarket chassis and not the stock Strombecker? What are you using for wheels on those models? Very nice results on both cars!
            Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

TAKE NOTE:

New website address for Smilin' Ray's:

https://smilinray.wixsite.com/smilinray/slot-car-tires

Email inquiry sent for an order of 4 pair of ST79R's.

I will be using the stock (hard) front tires on the front.

Andre
              Andre Ming
              Poteau, OK

Comment

Just a follow-up to say the Smilin' Ray tires work great. He's now got into my hobby funds for nearly $100, what with my second order headed my way as I type! (10 pairs of ST7/8S's!)

erdnA

Andre Ming
                Poteau, OK

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1