Scalextric Track: Pros n' Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric Track: Pros n' Cons

My sentimental favorite is Strombecker, hands down. Thus, I've simply "assumed" I would use Strombecker track for my small circuits I will be making for play racing/running.

HOWEVER... it appears there is quite a bit more geometry available as well as reduced sized found in the Scalextric track system. SO... I'm trying to learn about Scalextric track. I tried using the Scalextric vintage FB page to learn more, but zero input thus far. I can't help but feel I could make circuits with more agreeable "footprints" (more complexity in less space) using the Scalextric track system more so than Strombecker, Carerra, Revell, etc, track systems, but that remains to be determined.

What I've learned so far is that "Classic" Scalextric track has a shallow slot and thus my Strombecker (and other) cars would need to have the guides shaved. "Shaving guides" ain't happenin'. Learning this aspect of "Classic" track means likely my interest would likely be found in Scalextric's "Sport" track system, which has a deeper slot. It's my understanding the deeper slot of the "Sport" line of track negates the guide depth issue of the "Classic" Scalextric track.

Here's what I'm trying to learn concerning Scalextric "Sport" track:

What radii curves are offered? What geometry? (i.e. can a 90 degree turn be readily assembled with commonly available track pieces), etc?

What are the pitfalls of Scalextric "Sport" track? What are the advantages?

I like the "slide" the plastic Strombecker, Carrera, and Revell types of track systems offer... so that is also a factor I need to ponder.

ANY input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andre
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

The "Sport" surface is smooth to run on (if any plastic track can be called smooth), and will offer roughly the same traction as your Strombecker. Being a "poly" based plastic (flexible), it can be set up/taken down without fear of snapping tabs.

Considering space is a major factor,........vs. your current Strombecker track, "sport" has no disadvantages.

For those with limited space, and for those that will assemble/disassemble the track frequently,......there is no better choice.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180821_081630_grande.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.6 KB ID:	114507
    Last edited by chrisguyw; August 14, 2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LAMing View Post
      My sentimental favorite is Strombecker, hands down. Thus, I've simply "assumed" I would use Strombecker track for my small circuits I will be making for play racing/running.

HOWEVER... it appears there is quite a bit more geometry available as well as reduced sized found in the Scalextric track system. SO... I'm trying to learn about Scalextric track. I tried using the Scalextric vintage FB page to learn more, but zero input thus far. I can't help but feel I could make circuits with more agreeable "footprints" (more complexity in less space) using the Scalextric track system more so than Strombecker, Carerra, Revell, etc, track systems, but that remains to be determined.

What I've learned so far is that "Classic" Scalextric track has a shallow slot and thus my Strombecker (and other) cars would need to have the guides shaved. "Shaving guides" ain't happenin'. Learning this aspect of "Classic" track means likely my interest would likely be found in Scalextric's "Sport" track system, which has a deeper slot. It's my understanding the deeper slot of the "Sport" line of track negates the guide depth issue of the "Classic" Scalextric track.

Here's what I'm trying to learn concerning Scalextric "Sport" track:

What radii curves are offered? What geometry? (i.e. can a 90 degree turn be readily assembled with commonly available track pieces), etc?

What are the pitfalls of Scalextric "Sport" track? What are the advantages?

I like the "slide" the plastic Strombecker, Carrera, and Revell types of track systems offer... so that is also a factor I need to ponder.

ANY input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andre
      I started with Strombecker way back in the day, first set. Eventually I had a 3 lane Strombecker layout that was a regular fixture in our club.

I found its slots to be shallow, like some of the Scalex track. We had to shave the guide shoes on our 'modern' Scalex, Ninco, Fly, etc. cars. I assumed the two lane track also has shallow slots.

For Scalex...bet you've not seen the true 1/24 scale, 3 lane Scalextric track. Definitely not what you're looking for if space is a consideration. Has 4 inch lane spacing and two different radius turns. Slots also very, very deep.

3 lane Strombecker layout:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 lane 2.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	114510 Click image for larger version

Name:	3 lane 1.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	114511

3 lane Scalextric

Name:	final 5 coming out of daytona.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	842.6 KB
ID:	114512 Click image for larger version

Name:	final 7 whole layout 2.jpeg
Views:	544
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	114513

Comment

Scaley 'Classic' track is crap, not flat, hard on the tyres and tends to crack, plus as you say has a shallow guide slot.
        Scaley 'Sport' is flatter, has a deeper guide slot and kinder to your tyres.
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Thanks again, Chris!

For those of us that have a hard time visualizing metric, here's how it converts:

R1 = 214mm/8.4252"

R2 = 370mm/14.5669"

R3 = 526mm/20.7087"

R4 = 682mm/26.8504"

Any experiences with the "sticktion" of the Scalextric Sport track compared to the plastic tracks as well as the slot depth?

If this interest of mine in Scalextric Sport track continues to the point I need some "hands on" evaluation, I guess I'll try to find a used section or two on eBay for a "look see".

Andre

Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

Ah! A couple replies went up while typing my response to Chris!

Thanks for the input, 4380r and Kevan! Let's see what y'all said...

4380r:

I didn't even know Strombecker MADE a 3 lane system! Interesting.

Correct: I would not be interested in ANY 1/24 track system, as 1/24 just isn't in the cards for me. 1/24 cars, or the wide-ass Parma "Womp" 1/32 cars will never be a temptation. The more compact geometry of the Scalextric Sport system is the main attraction at this point.

Kevan:

In the past I recall reading such sentiments as you express about the "Classic" track! It was some kind of "rubber" with a sandpaper-type surface, wasn't it?

Improved tire wear will be a positive to me, it would seem.

SO, at this point, my main concerns with Scalextric Sport would be:

* How the track surface compares to Strombecker/Revell/Carerra type plastic. (I really did NOT like the track surface on the one Ninco set I owned over a decade ago.)

* Whether the depth of the slot is such that I would NOT have to trim vintage Strombecker/Revell/etc or contemporary Carerra/Ninco/etc guides.

If ANY guide trimming of such cars would be required for use on Scalextric Sport track, I think at this point that would be a deal-breaker.

Thanks again all for your input!

Andre

Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

Andre, re you above questions..........any of the "smooth"(ish) plastic tracks ( Sport, Carrera, Artin, ) will have similar traction levels to your Strombecker track when running without traction magnets. The slot depth on the "sport" track is just a hair deeper than on your Strombecker,........so, you will have no issues with the "sport" slot depth for virtually any 1/32 car (new or vintage) you are likely to run.

While there are certainly valid pros and cons between the various popular plastic tracks (Scaley Sport, Carrera, Ninco, Artin, Policar) given your stated needs (physical size and frequent assembly/disassembly).....nothing beats Scaley Sport.........and if you look on the various auction sites, it can be had inexpensively.

Cheers
              Chris Walker
              Last edited by chrisguyw; August 14, 2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Hi again Chris!

Thanks for the follow-up.

Comparable traction to Strombecker is a definite plus. I will not be using magnets. Any recent/contemporary offerings I end up with that fit my era criteria will have the magnets removed.

I'm quite surprised to learn that Scalextric Sport slots are deeper than Strombecker! I can cross off the slot depth off the "concern" list.

Yes, you correctly surmise that the geometry of the Scalextric Sport track system brought me to this current Scalextric inquiry party.

I'm pretty sure the lane spacing is slightly smaller with Scalextric Sport vs Strombecker? I also think the overall width is less than Strombecker, which contributes to the smaller footprint that is possible with Scalextric Sport.

Hm.

It sounds like it's nearing the time for me to consider purchasing a couple sections or so of Scalextric Sport for hands-on look see.

Andre
                Andre Ming
                Poteau, OK

Comment

Just happened to think...

Will the "Classic" Scalextric "picket fence" guard rails illustrated in this picture fit the Scalextric Sport track?

Name:	1960_SearsScaley.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	114535

If not, what about the Eldon picket fence sections? Think they would clip onto the Scalextric "Sport" track?

The picket fence look is a semi-important visual to me, given my era "theme" that I want to pursue.

Andre

Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

• Rastas
                    Rastas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes the picket fences will fit , but sports track border pieces won't line up.

• LAMing
                    LAMing commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Rastas. I still have a lot to figure out. I'll probably hit eBay tomorrow and find a couple pieces of Sport track to purchase it so it can start heading my way. Once here, I may find I'll miss the width of the Strombecker track, or some other unknown that might rear its head.

At this point, the indications are from the Vintage Scalextric group FB page is that the older picket fence and older guard rails will NOT fit the newer "Sport" track pieces.

Darn.

May have to come up with something on my own.

Sure would like to reflect the visuals I "see" in my mind's eye for my circuits.

Andre
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

I would like to suggest you have a look at "Ultimate Racer" race management and track design software - http://www.uracer.org/index.html & "Slot Track Pro" - https://www.slottrackpro.com/ for a wealth of information on Scalextric track.

Regards, Fred

+++++fK 😎

Full Speed Ahead +++++fK 😎

Comment

I change my 125 feet of Scally track every 12 to 18 months and with all the various track choice, never bored and always a new place to race!

Track is very durable, and easily snaps into place.

It has meant all my expectations on durability and holding my interest with all the variations to build.

Dundee Denny

Comment

Kunst22:

Thanks for the links. I looked at Ultimate Racer the other night, but I never saw a price for the track planning software. I'm not so sure I want to spend money on such just yet.

Dundee Denny:

Appreciate the input! As mentioned, I think it's time for me to pick up a couple pieces of Scalextric Sport track off eBay so I can see it first hand.

Andre
                        Andre Ming
                        Poteau, OK

Comment

Originally posted by LAMing View Post

* Whether the depth of the slot is such that I would NOT have to trim vintage Strombecker/Revell/etc or contemporary Carerra/Ninco/etc guides.

If ANY guide trimming of such cars would be required for use on Scalextric Sport track, I think at this point that would be a deal-breaker.
                          If you are going to run current Carrera's on Sport track, you may want to install their optional red guide. I had some binding issues with the stock guide on my Sport that went away when I swapped in the red. It's an easy change, no trimming required.
                          "I can't drive a stolen car!"
                          "It's the same principle; four gears forward, one reverse."

Comment

I have to think that if the fence doesn't clip directly to the sport track that a 3D printed adapter would be easy enoug?
                            Come Race at The Trace!
                            Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
                            https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1