I Guess I'm Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUESTION ABOUT THE STROMBECKER CORVETTE:

As delivered, was silver overspray at the front/rear bumpers typical?

Andre
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Comment

Seems to me that you're poised at the brink of the rabbit-hole, and starting to lose your balance, but also concerned that when you look in you can't see the bottom. Fact is, there is no bottom.

Me thinks you're torn between slotting as a hobby - something to do, and slotting as a way to transcend time. The two can coexist quite well down the rabbit hole. Just lean in a bit and gravity will do the rest.

Comment

slothead:

You're probably right: I'm a goner.

I also think you may be correct on this point, too: Slotting might mainly be a time travel vehicle for me. However, I DO hope to enjoy racing/running them along the way.

GOOD NEWS:

According to my exhaustive studies (well, I DID read a catalog dimension description) an elongated figure 8 comprised of Strombecker track SHOULD fit our large dining room table. SO, I'll at least have an immediate place to race my sets once I have them up and running.

A possible long term plan for for this madness is this (or possibly a couple):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-8-F...White/46368150

This (or these) table(s) can be stored in the garage when not in use.

I can either set it up out in the garage for those times the son-in-law and grand-son-in-law will be over (and daughter may enjoy reliving her past with it, too), OR I can simply set them up for myself. OR, if only one table, it will fit in the living room on a temporary basis, but I'll have to deal with Wild Child the wife on that point.

I also am thinking about getting a couple rolls of Bachmann grass mats:

https://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trai.../dp/B000XIA8CE

This way, I can throw together a "finished" looking track for a "Race Day" with the family, complete with some hay bales, printed card stock structures/etc.

Vision. I never want for vision when it comes to playing with toys.

erdnA
        Last edited by LAMing; August 13, 2021, 11:51 AM.
        Andre Ming
        Poteau, OK

Comment

'Nuther Question...

What do y'all do for braids?

I see copper braids sold in bulk (1 meter length) on eBay for slots. Will that work okay?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BraidSm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	114401

Name:	Braid2sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	114402

Any input would be appreciated.

Andre
          Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

• Dodgefarmer
            Dodgefarmer commented
            Editing a comment
            Breaking (literally) news Andre. Be careful on the width of your braid. If it is too wide the spade will be extremely difficult to insert, and if you force it the guide will split. I opened up a Carrera Go braid housing and used that braid successfully.

Be careful
            Randy

• LAMing
            LAMing commented
            Editing a comment
            Dodge:

Hm, so it's too wide or too thick, or both? Seems stretching the piece will narrow the width a tad, and tapping end with a tack hammer should compress if too thick. Got to be a way.

• Dodgefarmer
            Dodgefarmer commented
            Editing a comment
            I think (but not sure) that it ends up being to thick as it has to be quite narrow to even pass through the guide.

Should work great.I'm using about the same stuff,I think it was either slot -it or Ninco.
          I guessing it's all about the same stuff.
          Have fun
          Rusty
          Rusty
          Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

• LAMing
            LAMing commented
            Editing a comment
            Just ordered some. I opted for the US supplier ("Pioneer") instead of a roll of the stuff out of Spain. (The Spain stuff said 1 meter in length.) However, my sets are due to arrive Sat and Mon, so I didn't want braid material tied up in customs for weeks (that happened with one of my overseas orders during this Covid mess... they had it for weeks and weeks.) Even if the US supplier's quantity isn't 1 meter, what's visible in the photo ought to last me a while!
            Last edited by LAMing; August 13, 2021, 12:57 PM.

• slothead
            slothead commented
            Editing a comment
            Pioneer is based in the UK. The shipment might take awhile to make it across the pond but will be worth it. I bought 2 new Legend cars from their website, INASLOT, this week and am hoping to get them week after next.

• LAMing
            LAMing commented
            Editing a comment
            The eBay shipping origin shows Ramsey, NJ... so hopefully it's a cottage industry that sold it?

FWIW:

I have several recent/contemporary cars that fit my era criteria (1950s to mid-1960s) bookmarked that I'm watching on eBay. I'm hoping to snag a couple.

SO... the sickness isn't limited to strictly Strombecker!

Is this a good thing???

erdnA

Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

My thread title was "I Guess I'm Back?"... now turns out to be "I Guess I Never Left?"!!

Case in point:

Rooting around among my leftover slot stuff (thinking it was all Carerra D132-oriented), imagine my surprise to find these 3 Amigos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	3Amigos.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	114802

Curious:

What are the dates for the prototype cars the above trio of models represent?

* I think the MRRC Ferrari 275P dates to the mid-60s?

* I also think the MRRC Chappy would be about the mid-60s?

* What about that SCX GT40?

Would any or all of the above fit into my "mid-1960s" cut-off date for my chosen era spread?

Andre
            Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

• GT6
              GT6 commented
              Editing a comment
              The # 6 SCX is probably meant to represent the 1969 LeMans winning #6 Jacky Ickx/Jackie Oliver "Mirage" (renamed after Ford dumped their racing program and John Wyer took over the GT40s and got Gulf sponsorship).

• LAMing
              LAMing commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks GT6. I will defer to your knowledge on the Ford GT in question. Suffice to say that whereas Ford GT's did compete at Le Mans in '65, that (Gulf) livery didn't.

What I've found on my own:

* Ferrari 275P: A 275P won Le Mans in '64, so that model is a keeper. Plus, I think the MRRC model is a replica of the '64 Le Mans winning car. Double keeper.

* Chapparal 2: Began racing in '64 essentially as the model portrays. So, that' model's a keeper, too.

* Ford GT: The prototype raced at Le Mans in '65... but I don't think the Gulf livery of the SCX-modeled car appeared until later, was it '66? '66 would be pushing my era envelop of "collectable" slot cars being models that portray racing cars from the 1950s into the mid 1960s. IF the modeled livery is later than '66, then I'll be debating its future in my collection.

So there you have it, and there you are!

Andre
            Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

• LAMing
              LAMing commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi 'ya slothead!

Well... "mid 60s" is basically 1964-1966... so the Gulf livery is borderline. I think the SCX model is the Ken Miles livery of '66... but I may be mistaken on that point.

• slothead
              slothead commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just searching online and although I can't positively say who drove that #6 Ford GT40 in what race(s) in 1966, there is evidence to support such a car was in action at Sebring and/or Daytona (and possibly Le Mans). As best I can tell It's not a car driven by Ken Miles that year, but Bruce McLaren, Lloyd Ruby, Mario Andretti, and Lucien Bainchi are listed in places as driving a #6 GT40 in '66, but couldn't find photos to verify the livery.

The era I observe for my Le Mans class goes from '66 - '73, and I would allow that car in with Mario as the roster driver.

• LAMing
              LAMing commented
              Editing a comment
              slothead:

Thanks for the reasearch!

After recently enjoying "Ford vs Ferarri" via Hulu, I was sort of hoping it was a Ken Miles car. Oh well. Bruce McLaren or Mario Andretti ain't no slouches, either. I've not heard of Lloyd Ruby until just reading it in your comment. Either way, looks like my SCX GT is a fringe keeper.

Over the past several years, the older front engine GT's and roadsters have really surged upward on my "oooo!" scale. I think I owe that to YouTube historic films from the 50s and early 60s, as well as the Goodwood Revival footage I've watched over the past decade.

FWIW...

Well... I'm discovering that there's LOTS of cars that fit my 1950s to mid 60s" preference that aren't actually "vintage" per se, but yet fit my era of choice.

Many of the cars I'm referring to are out of production, or were "limited" runs, but I am finding cars of interest by MRRC, Ninco (but those are PRICEY!), Scalextric, Carerra, etc.

SO... true "vintage" cars may not be as plentiful in my "collection" as I first thought. Instead, there may be more "recently out of production" and/or "limited run" cars in my racing stable than true vintage cars!

Ah well, "fun is where you find it" I always say!

erdnA

Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

Well, I missed out on this one:

Name:	MRRC_904.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	114945

I was the leading (and only) bid for quite a while... then got sniped at the last second.

I guess there's a very defined "price point" for such cars as I'm in the market for, and less than $30 ain't it

Still learning.

Andre
              Andre Ming
              Poteau, OK

Comment

STROMBECKER PUDDIN' HEADS...

Apparently, I just learned there were different molds over the years for Strombecker's Pudding Bowl Helmet driver heads.

Take a look:

Name:	PuddinHeads.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	115851

The white drivers head came with a Testa Rosa. The head with the red helmet came with a Lotus 19.

I mistakenly thought all the Pudding Bowl Helmet drivers heads would be the same... but apparently this isn't so?

Do any of you know the production history of Strombecker's Pudding Bowl Helmet driver heads?

Andre
                Andre Ming
                Poteau, OK

Comment

So I've checked out the controllers and they're fine. Older 4 terminal pack puts out 16v so its fine. Cars are cleaned (their shells are in great shape, plastic's nice and bright with no fade/damaged areas), chassis/motor components cleaned/lubed, and new guide brushes installed. The missing D-Jag driver head is replaced, the very flimsy windshield (amazing it wasn't lost/broken over the decades) on it has been attached via my "tape" method. My tire order from Smilin' Ray ships in the morning.

Life is good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Set2_Cars_2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	258.6 KB ID:	115863
                  Last edited by LAMing; August 20, 2021, 02:17 PM.
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

The silver MRRC #54 Porsche (904?) is available at Electric Dreams for $54.99. I was thinking of getting one to swipe the Sebring chassis for use for a Strombecker 'J' car body. But, the wheels aren't a match for what Ford used so I'll probably find a Scalextric or Fly Ford GT40 chassis to use.

Comment

Slot:

Thanks. I'm watching a few cars on eBay right now, I'll see how my eBay fishing trip turns out before I consider any alternate paths.

Had I won the MRRC 904 #51, it would have been a $25-$27 NIB car. As it was the winning bid was $28.

Andre Ming
                      Poteau, OK

Comment

Just picked up a Testa Rosa shell that has the needed headlight lens.

Andre Ming
                        Poteau, OK

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1