Silicone tires for old style rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone tires for old style rims?

Who makes silicone tires for the old style rims? Anybody, some one must I just can’t seem to find them listed. Specifically for the EJ repro strombecker wheels skinny and wide rims. Thanks.

There are a few makers of good quality silicone tires for the larger scales. I won't mention names here but you can find them easily on the net or PM some of your HRW friends. Nice thing about a good quality silicone tire is that you can run a wet finger or thin soapy solution in the middle of them, and if you're careful and don't force things too much they will stretch reasonably enough to fit on similarly sized wheels. I've been doing the same thing with HO scale cars for decades, on both plastic and metal wheels. Don't be afraid to use an O ring as a spacer on the inside if the tire works good but is a bit too narrow for the wheel. Harbor Freight has O ring assortment sets in Metric and SAE sizes (either will work well enough), for less than five bucks. Unless you're worried about out right competition, this solution works very well for many racers. Hope this helps you out.
    Good luck, and... Enjoy! -- Ernie

Comment

There are a bunch of old Strombecker type wheels, and I don't know what EJ is putting in the package.
      Photos are helpful, but as Ernie said there are a number of tire makers.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
      https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so they say. The wider rears are 1/4” between the ribs. 1/2” to the outside of the rib.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28009813-225F-4CAE-B6E8-249EC9048BA2.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	107107

Comment

Modern 1/32nd cars use wheels with a center ridge, but vintage cars had double flange wheels. I can only think of one maker that makes silicone tires for double flange wheels, other makers may offer urethane tires. If you know the OD of the wheels and the OD, ID and width of the original tires you may be able to find tires made for center ridge wheels that will fit, but you will have to use an O ring to fill in the space where the center ridge would be. If I recall correctly Ortmann did urethane pops of many vintage tires, but I have not seen any silicone reproductions.
          Last edited by RichD; July 5, 2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Supertires makes the silicone V100s for the 1/32 vintage cars.

Comment

• Michael Squier
              Michael Squier commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I will check into those.

Have you tried to run a completed chassis assy or car with the EJ's tires as shown? I recall that they performed quite well.
            DAVE - MI, USA

Comment

• Michael Squier
              Michael Squier commented
              Editing a comment
              I do like the EJ tires on my home track, but a local track near me runs silicone so I was hoping to be able to find some I can swap on.

Yup, those are copies or NOS Monogram wheels.
            ​​​​​​The double flanged silicones have already been mentioned. Several urethane options as well.
            Come Race at The Trace!
            Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
            https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1