Announcement

Collapse

Host Your Proxy Event on HRW!!!

HRW is the perfect place to host your proxy event with your own forum. Your proxy forum makes it easy to communicate schedules, rules, build info, race results and facilitate communication among participants. Please send a Private Message to "HRWForum" to get started.
See more
See less

Quick Slicks Slip-on Proxy: Rules and Event Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Slicks Slip-on Proxy: Rules and Event Info

With a large number of proxies running glued and trued rubber or urethane, I wondered if we were missing an opportunity to run different tracks and capture a different audience by running silicone. So then I wondered, what if I could build a couple of proxy cars and not spend hours away from my family just working on tires. Hence the idea of a slip-on proxy. While many hard core builders and proxy racers alike may be appalled, I've decided to press on to gauge interest and opportunity. So without further ado, on to the details:

Overview:

In an attempt to encourage interest, this proxy will consist of two classes. The first we'll call "stock" will be Scalectrix BTCC NGTC (Next Generation Touring Car). Even though I don't expect a number of straight out of the box entries, I do expect that everyone will respect the rules as written. The second class will be "modified" and will be open to both Scalextric and Slot.It Classic DTM cars (1984 - 1996). This class will be fore those that like to tinker! In both classes the rear tires will be limited to Quick Slicks silicone. More on that later...

The Proxy Event:

Race Format: Finishing order for each round of the proxy race and the entire series will be determined by the distance traveled and resulting points earned. Points will be awarded based on the total number of cars entered in the class. For example, in a 20 car field, the winner gets 20 points, second place gets 19, etc.

A minimum of 3 minutes racing time per car per lane is required at each track.

Each car is to be raced in a fair and equal manner and subject to the same track conditions. Lane and driver rotations to be determined by track host.
    Once driver rotations have been established, they must remain consistent throughout the duration of the race. Any driver that has a car participating in the proxy MAY NOT race their own car on all lanes of the track.

All Track Hosts shall run the race using at least one driver available for each lane to be raced and a “race coordinator” that is off the track to assist with track calls, car moves, etc.
    For example… A 3-lane track with all 3 lanes in use must have at least 4 people present and participating on race day.

Track hosts, this is a SILICONE proxy with SLIP ON tires. Please be mindful that tires may become unseated in an aggressive off. If so, a track call to re-seat the tire(s) is expected.

Tracks: This series will (hopefully) run at different 10 tracks. Tracks may be plastic or wood.

Track voltage should be set between 10-12 volts at the host’s discretion and shall be equal for all cars. If a potential host track typically runs outside this range, please contact me for consideration.

Registration Fee: The Registration Fee is $25 for the first entry and $20 for the second car. Entrants are limited to one car per class for this series. If the number of interested entrants exceeds the 40 spots available and an entrant is willing to give up a 2nd class any entry fees will be refunded. Entry fees are due This fee is due by July 15th Payment by PayPal is preferred to: https://paypal.me/slotracercj?locale.x=en_US (please include forum name and mailing address)

Due Date: All entries are due at the following address on or before – August 15th

Mailing address for cars is:
    Corey Jett
    15156 Charring Cross Ln
    Monroe, MI 48161-5045

Sign-Up and Waiting List: The series is limited to 40 total cars. Position on the Sign-up sheet will be on a first come – first served basis. Those who sign up after the 40 slots are filled will be put on a Waiting List. As of May 8th, any racer on the Sign-Up list who has not paid his Registration Fee may have his slot taken by a racer from the Waiting List who does pay his Registration Fee. The mechanism for moving up from the Waiting List to the Sign-up List will be based on the last number racer on the Sign-Up list who has not paid his Registration Fee being vulnerable to the first number racer on the Waiting List who has paid his Registration Fee, and so forth. The reason for the May 1st Registration Fee deadline is to give races who move up from the Waiting List time to build and tune their entries.

The Proxy Rules:

General: No modifications/changes/upgrades permitted unless specifically stated in the rules below. Entrant’s name must be written on underside of chassis in paint, Sharpie, printed sticker or engraved. It is suggested that body screw adjustment information be provided on the underside of the chassis. Tape to cover screws is recommended, but not required.

Eligible Cars / Bodies:
    Stock Class - Any 1/32 scale Scalextric BTCC (NGTC - vehicle years from 2011 - present) car is allowed.
    Modified Class - Any 1/32 scale Scalextric or Slot it Classic (vehicle years from 1984 - 1996) DTM car is allowed.

Chassis: General - Traction magnets are NOT allowed.

Stock Class - Only stock Scalextric BTCC (car year 2011 or newer) non-podded plastic chassis may be used. Chassis may only be used for the body for which it was intended. Flashing may be removed from the chassis and light sanding to allow for body float (maximum gap of 1/32” between chassis and body) is acceptable. If a credit card can fit between the chassis and body the gap is too large. No other chassis modifications are allowed. Use of additional plastic or metal to strengthen/stiffen the chassis is NOT allowed. Lighting and associated wires may be removed, but is not required to be removed.

Modified Class - Any stock, 3D printed plastic, metal, brass or combination of 1/32 chassis is allowed. Metal chassis, including chassis with a combination of plastic and metal components are allowed. A different chassis than was intended for the car may be used. Updated chassis may be used (i.e. SlotIt EVO 6). Slot.it HRS chassis is allowed. The use of suspension is allowed. Tape is allowed across pod to control float.

Motor/Drivetrain: General - Motor cannot be opened for modification. 2WD only.

Stock Class - Motor may be glued or taped to chassis. Chassis modification to accept screws is NOT allowed.
    Only 2 motors will be allowed:
    Scalextric 18k stock motor (white, black or green endbell)
    Gator 18k motor

Modified Class - Motor may be affixed to chassis or motor pod using glue, tape or screws.
    Only 4 motors will be allowed:
    Scalextric 18k stock motor (white, black or green endbell)
    Slot It 21k stock motor (MX15)
    Gator 18k motor
    Piranha 21.5k motor

Wheels and Axles: General - Wheels (font and rear) may be sanded to improve out of round condition. Important note - This is a slip-on proxy race. Removing too much material may result in poor fitting tires. Axle spacers (any brand) may be used to reduce side-to-side movement. Axle bushing may be glued into place.

Stock Class - Stock (or stock replacement) wheels and axle assembly (including stock plastic bushings) must be used.

Modified Class - Stock or replacement wheels may be used. Wheel size may not exceed 15.8 mm x 8.5 mm. Plain “insert” wheels must use inserts. Racing style wheels may be used without inserts. Wheel /tire must not protrude past the body when viewed from above. Stock wheels (if used) may be removed and replaced onto axle to eliminate wobble. Stock or aftermarket. Hollow axles are allowed. Axles must be 3/32” or 2.5mm (Ninco) in diameter. Any brand axle bushing may be used. Ball bearings (any brand) are allowed. Front axle screws (any brand) may be used and installed to adjust axle ride height. Independent front axle is allowed. Use of axle blocks is allowed. Front axle may not be “sleeved”or enclosed in any type of tubing.

Tires: General - Rear tires MUST be Quick Slicks silicone compound only. Size of tire must fit wheel chosen. ALL TIRES WILL BE CLOSELY INSPECTED FOR SIGNS OF GLUE AND/OR TRUING DURING PRE-SERIES TECH.

Stock Class - Tires (front or rear) may NOT be glued or trued.

Modified Class - Wheel /tire must not protrude past the body when viewed from above. Front tires may be glued, trued and coated to reduce friction. Rear tires may NOT be glued or trued.

*** Note *** Upon receipt of entry fee, each racer (entry) will be eligible to receive one set of Quick Slicks tires. If you would like to receive this set in time to support your build, please contact me via DM or leave a note in your entry fee payment with tire size and mailing address and I will coordinate delivery. If you do not require a set of tires for the build, you may request any size Quick Slicks tire to be returned with your proxy car.

Body / Interior: General - Exterior modifications to the body allowed are NOT allowed. Interior modifications to the body are NOT allowed. All “glass” that comes with a given stock body must be present. No tape is allowed on the exterior of the body or wing. Custom paint schemes are allowed. All cars must have a minimum of 3 printed/decal racing numbers consistent with the 1:1 liveries. If a fantasy livery is used, car must have a minimum of 3 printed/decal racing numbers (1 on each side and one visible from viewing the top of the car). If applicable, wing must be in place at the start of the proxy. Mirrors, antenna and other small components may be removed. Cars must have an interior.

Stock Class - Cars must use the stock an interior. Modifications to the interior/cockpit are NOT allowed. Cockpits may be taped or glued in place.

Modified Class - Lightweight glass is allowed. Stock or Lexan cockpits are allowed. Interior must be painted with at least 3 colors and driver must race suit may not be same color as general cockpit. Cockpits must be taped or glued in place.

Gears / Gear Ratio: General - None

Stock Class - Stock gears and gear ratio MUST be used.

Modified Class - All gearing is free choice of brand. Any gear ratio may be used.

Guide Flag: General - Note - Cars may run on both wood and plastic track. Any brand of 1/32 guide flag may be used, minor modification is allowed. The use of guide shims inside the guide hole to remove guide slop is allowed. Guide post may not be modified to strengthen. Any brand of pick up braid and motor wire is allowed. Guide must NOT extend beyond the front of the car. Only 1 guide flag may be used. Weight may not be permanently added within the guide flag.

Weight: General - All ballast must be securely fastened (tape or glue) to the inside of the car – it may be secured to the chassis and/or body. Only lead or tungsten ballast may be used. No weight on the bottom of the car or outside of the body. Weight may not be used to stiffen the chassis. Magnets may NOT be used as ballast. There is no minimum or maximum weight limit.

Ground Clearance: General - All cars must have at least 0.040” (or 1 mm) ground clearance.

28-Jan-20: Rule updates in ORANGE.
    02-Feb-20: Rule updates in TEAL. Clarifying details around legal bodies.
    09-May-20: Updated payment date to July 15th. Updated car due date to August 15th.
    Last edited by cj74; May 9, 2020, 07:06 PM.

Stock Class - Only stock Scalextric BTCC non-podded plastic chassis may be used. Chassis may only be used for the body for which it was intended
    Flashing may be removed from the chassis and light sanding to allow for body float (maximum gap of 1/32” between chassis and body) is acceptable. If a credit card can fit between the chassis and body the gap is too large. No other chassis modifications are allowed. Use of additional plastic or metal to strengthen/stiffen the chassis is NOT allowed.[QUOTE]

Forgive my ignorance please but what is a BTCC or (NGTC) car? OK went to Slot Car Corner and see some BTCC cars listed. Never looked at those because have never had an interested in them. Didn't see anything called a NGTC car. What is that?

Last edited by arroldn; January 19, 2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

BTCC - British Touring Car Championship

NGTC - New Generation Touring Car (in the BTCC rules).

TO CLARIFY... NGTC is a BTCC car that meets the rules established in 2009. A Scalextric BTCC that is listed as 2012 or new meets the designation of NGTC.

Scalextric has a line of cars that are labeled BTCC. Very easy to find with a quick search. I only included the BTCC NGTC designation as they have released a couple of cars that an older style. The BTCC NGTC cars began racing after 2009 and have been released pretty steadily over the last couple of years.

BTW... We've run these cars (BTCC) locally as a stock class and they were run for a national event in Philadelphia and they are a ton of fun.
      Last edited by cj74; January 19, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• arroldn
        arroldn commented
        Editing a comment
        See above post. Typed before looking my mistake.

• cj74
        cj74 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried to clarify above. BTCC (NGTC) is like saying Modern BTCC instead of Classic BTCC.

Means a car purchase or 2. Maybe I'll sit this one out, naw
      Last edited by arroldn; January 19, 2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• arroldn
        arroldn commented
        Editing a comment
        See they come in 1988 Classis and 2015 Modern.

• cj74
        cj74 commented
        Editing a comment
        You want anything 2015 or newer.

I do not have the time at the moment to enter another proxy, and also I do not have access to any local silicone friendly tracks and/or willing to run silicone on my rubbered-in track - but I just wanted to stop by and say how much I enjoy these Scalectrix BTCC class, I have the Honda, VW and BMW and they are a huge amount of fun to run box stock, nothing other than a light sanding of the OEM tyres and away you go! Great cars!

Good luck with the series.

Chris
      "I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
      "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

I love your line, everyone will respect the rules as written. I'll need to steal that going forward. let me look for a car if I find one you know the number and color. I believe that 3 series Scaley BMW ran in that class, I don't like em or Mercs, nor do I know ANYTHING about silicon tires but this would be fun!! AND I support Quick Slicks!!
        Last edited by SCC_Steve; January 20, 2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

If I understand then the M3 BMW is pre this class, and only the AMG 45 (no slot car yet) would qualify.

I am waiting for the Focus RS, but here are a few examples available now:

Click image for larger version  Name:	BTCC.JPG Views:	3 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	18212

Last edited by F1Fan; January 19, 2020, 06:55 PM.
          "I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
          "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

I have a car Alfa Romeo I'm in

Comment

• cj74
              cj74 commented
              Editing a comment
              Added to the registration thread. Welcome!

These are the cars I see at Slot Car Corner and CloverLeaf : Honda Civic, BMW125i, VW Passat, MG6 Looks like the Ford Sierra 1988 and the BMW E30 M3 1988 would be out.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Honda Civic BTCC 2015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.1 KB ID:	18225Click image for larger version  Name:	Honda Civic BTCC 2018.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.3 KB ID:	18226Click image for larger version  Name:	honda_civic BTCC 2017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	18231Click image for larger version  Name:	Passat BTCC 2015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.0 KB ID:	18232Click image for larger version  Name:	Passat BTCC 2017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.3 KB ID:	18229Click image for larger version  Name:	BMW BTCC 2017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.9 KB ID:	18230Click image for larger version  Name:	BMW 125i BTCC2018.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.3 KB ID:	18233
            Attached Files
            Last edited by arroldn; January 19, 2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• cj74
              cj74 commented
              Editing a comment
              My first BTCC was a Civic. That thing was a rocket box stock! Still not sure what I'm running here.

• arroldn
              arroldn commented
              Editing a comment
              My nephew had a Passat. I was like this is a VW. Nice car.

its refreshing to see a silicon proxy. my club doesnt run these cars but i happen to like them and have 2 of those cars.im in, and maybe for both classes.but for sure the stock class.

Comment

• cj74
              cj74 commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to have you! Let me know if you firm up your mind on the modified.

G'Day Corey - I'm thinking I could send my #9 SCITCC slot.it Opel Calibra around again in Modified class...

'Tis already set up with a Piranha motor - just need to get some CB35F Quick Slicks from the entry fee...

Might even clean and re-oil it before sending it around the world for a third time.....

Cheers, Tony.
            https://www.hrwforum.com/core/smilie.../australia.gif All the way from Sydney, Australia.......

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by bov View Post
              G'Day Corey - I'm thinking I could send my #9 SCITCC slot.it Opel Calibra around again in Modified class...

'Tis already set up with a Piranha motor - just need to get some CB35F Quick Slicks from the entry fee...

Might even clean and re-oil it before sending it around the world for a third time.....

Cheers, Tony.
              Glad to have ya Tony! I don't remember how you fared in that one, but I'm sure it will be a good runner.

Comment

CJ, I was just wondering in the stock class, If the car comes with lights do they have to stay or can I take them out?
                Robert- Connecticut, USA. Shoreline Raceways Club.

Comment

Originally posted by REL13 View Post
                  CJ, I was just wondering in the stock class, If the car comes with lights do they have to stay or can I take them out?
                  You can take them out, but you don't need to. I'll make some rule updates no later than this weekend.

Comment

Sounds like fun. I'll enter,probably modified class.

Steve

Comment

• cj74
                      cj74 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hope so! Just let me know when you decide.
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1