Announcement

Collapse

Host Your Proxy Event on HRW!!!

HRW is the perfect place to host your proxy event with your own forum. Your proxy forum makes it easy to communicate schedules, rules, build info, race results and facilitate communication among participants. Please send a Private Message to "HRWForum" to get started.
See more
See less

Ford vs Ferrari Proxy - Round #2 - Woodland Trace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford vs Ferrari Proxy - Round #2 - Woodland Trace

Here's an update for everyone.

We've had to shuffle the track schedule a little due to COVID-19, so the next Round will take place in North Carolina with Steve (Fast Co.) and his clubmates at Woodland Trace. The cars were shipped yesterday and should be with him by Thursday of this week. A big thanks to Steve for being able to run this Round for us!

One note, car #98 had to be returned to the builder, REL13, for repairs to the pod. This car will receive a 5 point penalty due to this repair, which falls outside of a normal trackside repair. But, with the improved performance that we expect to see, we hope that he'll get those points back pretty quickly.

TuscoTodd is going to be doing the scoring for us again and should have a results thread up soon. Thanks Todd!

Watch here for more updates on Round #2 from Steve and the SCANC team!

Allan

looking forward to round 2, these cars should look and run great on Woodland Trace

Comment

Hi guys
      im giving slot cars a rest
      I lost my father...so funeral is today
      it was great knowing you all
      Ross Edwards

Comment

• Audi1
        Audi1 commented
        Editing a comment
        My sincere condolences to you and your family, Ross. I look forward to your return and I hope that you’ll enjoy watching your car race through the remaining 9 Rounds.

• docdoom
        docdoom commented
        Editing a comment
        I fell your pain went through the same thing one year go yesterday. had to watch cancer slowly eat him up over a two year span. it does get better with time.

• Fast Co.
        Fast Co. commented
        Editing a comment
        My heartfelt condolences Ross.

Well guys, your cars arrived in North Carolina yesterday and I had an opportunity today to unpack them, inspect them for damage, and take each car for a couple of trial laps around the Trace to be sure they are performing as they should. With the exception of D.F. Racing's red #3 Ford GT40 which arrived with its rear window glass placed carefully under its chassis, all of the cars arrived in excellent condition.

I'll have to talk to my fellow SCANCs about when we can get together to run this round, but I'm shooting for a week from this Thursday. Maybe sooner, if possible.

As always, I'm looking forward to hosting this event. And as always, there are some fantastic machines in this field.

Here's a photo of your cars on track (in no particular order):

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3476.JPG Views:	0 Size:	590.7 KB ID:	39996
      Team SCANC
      Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
      OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
      Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

[QUOTE= D.F. Racing's red #3 Ford GT40 which arrived with its rear window glass placed carefully under its chassis.
        [/QUOTE]

Ain't that just peachy.. Can you take a quick look and let me know what's involved to fix it.

Thanks
        Randy

Comment

• Audi1
          Audi1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Randy, I'm not sure how the rear window popped out of your GT40, but I meant to simply glue it back in for you as part of a normal trackside repair. Obviously, I forgot to do that. I've asked Steve to do if for you before the start of the qualy. No penalty - just a normal trackside repair.

• docdoom
          docdoom commented
          Editing a comment
          its Fletch you fix every thing with ball bearings

• Fast Co.
          Fast Co. commented
          Editing a comment
          Randy, I can glue the window glass back in. It's an easy fix. Or I can put it in a small ziplock and identify it as yours and ship it on like that if you'd rather I didn't make the repair. Let me know.
          Steve

Fast Co. Steve, My car #98 will be in the mail tomorrow, Sat. the 6th.
        Robert- Connecticut, USA. Shoreline Raceways Club.

Comment

As a point of interest what is the width of the Gt40’s and the Policar Ferrari?

Cheers

Dan

Comment

• Audi1
            Audi1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't have either car with me right now, Dan. But, the Slot.It Ford GT40 is very close in track to the Policar Ferrari, with the Ferrari having just a little more wheelbase length. So, actually pretty comparable cars to race. Perhaps Steve can do that measurement for you()?) Your resin body 330P is significantly narrower in track, with the wheelbase being about the same.

The rear track width of a Ferrari P4 is 57.1inches So that works out to 1.78 inches in 1/32 scale. My entry is actually too wide and yet when viewed against those others it appears to be a narrow car. I am interested in how far manufacturers are being allowed to drift from true 1/32 scale cars in the interest of performance over scale, Are we racing 1/32 scale cars are are they now 1/28 scale? I know the Thunderslots are too wide, and it looks like both the Gt40 and the Policar P4 are also pushing the boundaries of 1/32 scale.

I know we spend time talking scale tire and rims, and then turn a blind eye to a cars that are not to scale. I am really interested in the width of some of these cars to see now far they are getting out of scale. So if the next host could measure-the rear track width of they Policar P4 and the GT40 , I would just like to see how they to see how they scale out .

Not taking issue with it, but am curious how far manufactures are drifting from scale cars. From a scale perspective I am more concerned that the proportional relationships between width and length are being messed with.. i.e Making cars wider but not longer is more of a problem for me then just making a 1/28 scale car.

I was never a fan of winged thing racing where a scale car was low on the priority list.

IMO from the entries I am seeing in recent proxies this fact is starting to have a negative effect on the fields of cars being entered, where one particular car has a inherent advantage, so everyone is buying it and entering it.

Comment

• Fast Co.
            Fast Co. commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't have time to measure today, but will do it tomorrow.

• GT6
            GT6 commented
            Editing a comment
            The Policar 330 P4 is 60.1mm wide, scale width should be 56.6mm so it is 3.5mm or about 6% overwidth
            NSR GT40 MkII is 61.6mm wide, scale width should be 55.6mm so 6mm or 10.8% over.
            For both of the above the length and wheelbase are within a mm or two of correct.

I used to object to having to compete against cars that are not close to scale. However, it appears we are in the minority as most racers seem to just want to race toy cars, so I quit worrying about it and just count rivets on the models I build for local museums. It appears the manufacturers are more concerned with making models that are competitive within their own line than with scale accuracy. As long as we have a maximum width rule (such as in this proxy) I am OK with running whatever fits and looks reasonable.

P.S. be careful using track width for measurements, actual 1:1 cars track is measured across the the center of the treads while slot car racers tend to measure across the outer sidewalls - two very different measurements. I prefer to just use overall vehicle width.

cheers
            Scott

• Barc 1
            Barc 1 commented
            Editing a comment
            GT6

I build almost everything, and haven’t purchased an actual RTR slot car for quite some time. None of my entries have yet been very competitive, but I do enjoy following along with the proxy reports.I was just interested in what liberties manufactures were taking.

If my car was the widest on the track, I doubt it would make much of a difference in the result.

Obviously this is a Ford vs Ferrari proxy so the variety of cars was going to be limited. However a lot of recent proxies have see variety of cars shrink as people lean towards the better platforms for the performance edge. If this performance edge is gained by being out of scale then I think that might be a problem. Any proxy that allows an NSR GT 40 seems to be swamped with them.

I am not a rivet counter, but just wanted to comment on what appears to be happening. I am more disturbed by the fact the manufacturers only seem to be making them wider while keeping the length the same. This does affect the the look of the cars and is a bigger sin IMO then just making an overall 1/29 scale car.

Again part of my concern comes from living through the scale crash and rise of winged thing racing, where speed and chassis became everything. Don’t want to offend anyone who was into that, but it totally lost the scale slot car crowd, and apparently there were a lot of us.

I still commend the manufactures of today for the detail they put into their cars. Part of building a chassis wider, allows for a sidewinder, which in turn allows them room to do a great job on interior detailing which no one complains about.

I measured the following cars at the rear fenders and found the following.

NSR GT40 60mm
          Slot.It GT40 54mm
          250 LM 51.25mm
          Policar 330P4 59mm
          Team SCANC
          Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

Modernslots and I are ready to qual your cars. We are just waiting on the arrival of REL13's entry, which is out for repairs. His car is supposed to arrive here tomorrow. So stay tuned for qual results. I'll have them posted the evening we receive Robert's entry.
            Team SCANC
            Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

The tracking number says it will be there on Tues. the 9th. Thanks, REL13

Comment

Thanks for feedback. I saw this hobby go off the rails when slot car performance became everything and it evolved in to wing thing racing, and it lost the interest of the scale guys. I don’t want to see history repeat itself, and see scale being compromised too much. I would much sooner see a 1/28 scale car then an extra wide 1/32 scale car. As has been said these cars lengthwise are right on 1/32 scale, but have gotten wider.

Comment

The tracking number said it was delivered today. Let the racing begin. Thanks

Comment

I received Robert's #98 car today and we have the 2nd round qualification in the books.

I inspected all cars upon receipt and ran each a few laps to ensure there were no problems with the cars and also to get some idea of the overall performance of the cars . There are some superb machines in this class and some of the brass chassis cars are extraordinary. I can only wish I had such car-building skills. The #4, #7, and #24 cars are superb.

Rob (modernslots) qualified the cars and I assumed the secretarial duties. Rob and I collaborated on recording comments.

The cars were run in numerical order, beginning with car #2 and ending with #116. Rob ran each car for 10 laps to get familiar with them and to dial in his controller. Then he ran another 10 laps in qualifying. Tires were cleaned with tape before each session. We ran at 10v.

We will try to get the race run one day next week. Best of luck to all entrants!

So without any further ado, here are the qualification results:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020 FvF Proxy Qualifying Round 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	884.2 KB ID:	40677

And a photo of the top 3 qualifiers on track. Ferrari on pole again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3483.JPG Views:	0 Size:	433.8 KB ID:	40678
                    Team SCANC
                    Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• Aloha
                      Aloha commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the great quali. Interesting podium with a prancing horse on the pole position again. Arroldn great job!!!!!!
                      Aloha
                      Dale

• F1Fan
                      F1Fan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congrats Arroldn!

Wow! I did a lot better than I thought I would. Thanks for a good run.

Comment

• Fast Co.
                      Fast Co. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whatever repairs you made to the car paid off!
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1