Announcement

Collapse

Host Your Proxy Event on HRW!!!

HRW is the perfect place to host your proxy event with your own forum. Your proxy forum makes it easy to communicate schedules, rules, build info, race results and facilitate communication among participants. Please send a Private Message to "HRWForum" to get started.
See more
See less

"Fly Classic Proxy" Approved Chassis/guide mods!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fly Classic Proxy" Approved Chassis/guide mods!!

Hi folks, I did run this by Zack prior to posting, and this Modification has been approved for the upcoming Fly proxy.......a good mod. whether you a re entering or not

I posted this a couple of years back on the old Forum, and with the upcoming Fly proxy, I am posting it again, for those that missed it.

One of the issues on the Fly chassis (actually on most plastic chassis') when running without magnets is the lack of sufficient guide rotation.....this is not an issue with magnets, as even with a small slip angle, the magnets lose contact with the track rails, and the car deslots. Without magnets, the car can achieve much larger slip angles and the guide often "bottoms out" on the chassis plate, with one of two things happening....when the guide pounds into the chassis, either the guide blade can break, or , worse the guide tongue post hole support will crack/ break.

From a performance perspective big slides will result in the car "bouncing" on the guide/chassis stops, which is not the hot tip for quick/consistent laps.

The following is a quick/simple fix, that will not only save your chassis/guide from breakages, but, will result in a car that is smoother/more consistent at the limit.

I have done this mod, on many many Fly (and other chassis) for club member/shop customers with no issues whatsoever.....it will not weaken the chassis..it will eliminate breaks

Cheers
    Chris Walker

The first pic. is of a Standard Fly chassis/guide, showing less the acceptable guide rotation....

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4121-zpsvf4yzkae.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.4 KB ID:	32601

Same shot from above......the "ears" of the guide, bottom out on the chassis plate far too early.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.7 KB ID:	32602

On the next shot, I have marked with a Sharpie the area of the chassis plate to be removed,

I usually use a Dremel with a round burr/sanding drum, but, You can use some round files, or a Hobby knife ...remove a bit at a time

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4122-copy-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.9 KB ID:	32603

One side finished ...........

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4123-copy-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.2 KB ID:	32604

Guide installed.............almost double the degree of rotation........no more breakages, and a nicer car to drive hard ......."Priceless "

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4125-copy-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.6 KB ID:	32605
    Last edited by chrisguyw; April 17, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Thanks for the tutorial Chris. I allowed this not only because it makes the cars more fun, but also because there is the potential for breakage when the guide is constantly being "snapped".

I will update rules page.

Zack

Comment

Great post Chris, I am happy to see we can use this modification for this proxy.
      Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

Comment

Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1