2022 DaVolsForums Cup Proxy Tire Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 DaVolsForums Cup Proxy Tire Test

OK guys did the tire test tonight using a 2019 #42 COY car as the test mule. The tires from this car are probably 4 years old. I then switched to the PG tires off of the 2021 COT #2 car. I could tell just from looking the PG tires were faster. However I didn't think they were that much faster.

Here are the results.

Yellow Dogs average 20 lap time. 59.53 Secs
    Paul Gage average 20 lap time 56.81 Secs
    Difference of 2.72 Secs for what would be a 20 lap qualifying run. On my track you would probably be a lap down in just a few laps since fast lap time with PG was 2.61.

When I did the average lap time over 20 laps however the difference was only .13secs. Now that may be a lot to make up over a 60 lap final.

What is the main issue with the PG tire other than you cannot tell one compound from the other. What are we trying to achieve? Faster lap times or a better tire? Since I have only had PG tires for 1 year I'm not sure how they hold up over time. Now I have seen some of my YD turn redish orange on cars over 5 years old. Well when I said some let clarify. I have seen 2 out of over 60+ tires do this. I don't think that's bad. I'm sure many replace tires each season.
    Last edited by arroldn; December 30, 2021, 08:05 AM.
    Arrold Martin
    Nashville TN

FYI I have had PG for longer that 5 years and have not had an issue with one of them
    Some tires have been on multiple cars
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

• arroldn
      arroldn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment.

PG are readily available in UK
    struggling to find a dealer for yellow dogs over here
    and shipping costs are very expensive

just an fyi

Kev
    Kev
    Burnley
    England🇬🇧

Comment

• arroldn
      arroldn commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know for those outside of the US. Must consider our competitors around the globe.

• Pepsi 62
      Pepsi 62 commented
      Editing a comment
      same here in Australia, YD hard to get, plenty of PG available, we also have MJK as well, which are a pretty good tire

In regards to telling the different compounds of PG tires apart, anyone using the softer PG tire may start off well, but in my experience, they don't hold up over the long run....
    Dickie Pearson
    Canterbury, NH

HOST - Home Operated Slot Tracks
    MSR - Main Street Racing

Comment

Well this year we will do like the big boys. 1 spec tire. I re-did the tire test the other day by the way. The 1st test in the 1st post was not a fair test. The YDs had a smaller diameter than the PGs. So I did a new test with 1405 YDs vs 20105 PGs. both of these tires have a diameter of 20.5mm mounted. This time the YDs had a 1 sec advantage in 20 laps. Thus we will stick with 1 tire brand for the season. Our non US entrants spoke to the issue of availability. If that remains the same going forward PG will become the spec tire.
      Arrold Martin
      Nashville TN

Comment

Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1